• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Neglected railway stations in busy areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
That’s interesting, I didn’t see it on the platform when the train stopped there last week. Is it on the station approach? Should probably be a half-hourly service really.
It's part way up the steps, if I recall correctly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

I don’t think this does apply to Leeds, as most of the first stations out are actually quite a distance away so are in places of their own right, like Cross Gates, Outwood, Woodlesford, rather than the Ardwick situation where the station is within a run down industrial area. If Leeds had stations near Neville Hill or maybe in Holbeck or Armley you’d end up with that situation.

Depends on your definition, I guess, but I would regard Cross Gates, Burley/Headingley/Horsforth, Kirstall Foge, Bramley, Morley, etc, as suburbs of Leeds.

willgreen

If Severn Beach has that number of passengers, why did a number of services in the past terminate short at Avonmouth?
Again, I don't know - I'm just going off what the statistics say. If it saves a unit without severely damaging ridership then that might make sense.

d9009alycidon

I would nominate Coatbridge Central, it now has a fairly regular service to Cumbernauld and Motherwell but in the 1970s it was ripe for closure as it only had one or two long distance trains a day including the Clansman which were progressively taken away from that route . At that time the platform buildings were demolished and the main street level building sold off and became a pub. Access is a challenge especially if you want a train to Motherwell if you are coming from the town centre, you have to walk under the bridge up a ramp that used to access the goods yard then negotiate a subway which is used by the local neds as a drinking den and toilet, there is no access to this platform for disabled passengers as the slow line still runs behind the platform Think the platform surfaces have recently been improved but access to the station really should be given a total overhaul

Parallel

Established Member
There used to only be about a 2 minute turnaround at Severn Beach a few years ago, so if every train ran there, delays would have ended up snowballing along the line as there would be tight timings to pass the next train at Clifton Down. There is also a loop at Avonmouth but trains very rarely pass there to my knowledge.

Sprinter107

I would nominate Coatbridge Central, it now has a fairly regular service to Cumbernauld and Motherwell but in the 1970s it was ripe for closure as it only had one or two long distance trains a day including the Clansman which were progressively taken away from that route . At that time the platform buildings were demolished and the main street level building sold off and became a pub. Access is a challenge especially if you want a train to Motherwell if you are coming from the town centre, you have to walk under the bridge up a ramp that used to access the goods yard then negotiate a subway which is used by the local neds as a drinking den and toilet, there is no access to this platform for disabled passengers as the slow line still runs behind the platform Think the platform surfaces have recently been improved but access to the station really should be given a total overhaul
So I take it the station was unstaffed then, even tho long distanced trains were calling there.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The local stations in Plymouth. All in built-up areas on a direct line to the city centre, all receive roughly 2 hourly service. Surely this must be one of the biggest untapped demands in the country? An hourly service to Liskeard and perhaps an hourly service up the Gunnislake branch (not necessarily all the way) would be transformational.

Being Plymouth and my former hometown that'll probably happen in 2050 :'(

Pontefract is hardly the centre of the universe, but it's probably worth mentioning Pontefract Baghill station. It's one of three stations in Pontefract town centre, but the other two are on a much busier, well-used line. Baghill is far from dangerous, but it's a bit run-down with a boarded-up former station building that's now in private hands and an infrequent service.

Was that photo of Dalmarnock taken before or after the Commmonwealths as it had a refurbishment for the games? It is also prone to flooding.
Before. They put up white 'board' walls and fluorescent lights in the tunnels. It's still dingy but not quite as bad as the before photo. The refurbishment was mostly above-ground. There wasn't much TLC put in to the platforms.

I would nominate Coatbridge Central
A fair nomination. Coatbridge Sunnyside is by far the 'better' station, it's a short walk away, and it has frequent services to Glasgow and Edinburgh via the North Clyde Line and Airdrie to Bathgate line. Coatbridge Central was mostly used by an hourly Motherwell-Cumbernauld service run by a single 156, and a couple of peak-time EMUs from the Argyle Line that were extended from their usual Motherwell terminus up to Coatbridge Central. It gets a slightly better service now the line has been electrified all the way to Cumbernauld, but it's still a fraction of the service Sunnyside has.

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Gainsborough Central is a depressing station but it is much nearer the town centre than Lea Road.

New Clee might also be added to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.