• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Oldest buses still used on public registered bus routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

railwaytrack

What are the oldest buses still in use on public registered bus routes?

These three buses owned by Hams Travel are all still in regular use. They appear often their public registered school routes and sometimes on their normal service routes too. They are the oldest i can think of.

• built in 1997 - MC56 HAM - Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer MK1 11.3m (SPD)

• built in 1998 - S303 JUA - Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer MK2 10.2m

• built in 2002 - MC06 HAM - Dennis Dart SLF Novosadska Neobus

I think these must be some of the oldest buses that are still in use.

Can anyone think of any other old buses that are still in use on public registered bus routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

madannie77

Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs has three Optare Solos dating from October 2001 in service in Carlisle, regularly seen on routes 69 and 93.

They are 47006/09/11 (KX51 CSU/CSZ/CTF), and 47006 and 47009 have received the new livery.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Newport Transport have three Dennis Trident Plaxton Presidents LN51 KXR/KXV/KXW which are mostly used on school services. Those services are registered as public, but good luck getting a driver to let you on!

railwaytrack

Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs has three Optare Solos dating from October 2001 in service in Carlisle, regularly seen on routes 69 and 93.

They are 47006/09/11 (KX51 CSU/CSZ/CTF), and 47006 and 47009 have received the new livery.
Newport Transport have three Dennis Trident Plaxton Presidents LN51 KXR/KXV/KXW which are mostly used on school services. Those services are registered as public, but good luck getting a driver to let you on!
Thank you for the replies so far.

I think that those Stagecoach Cumbria ones may be the oldest in the Stagecoach fleet in the entire UK. I did not expect Stagecoach to still have 51 plates in use.

Looking on the bustimes tracking it seems that the 51 plates that Newport Bus have do get some use on non school routes too. During the daytime it seems they will sometimes get used on the ordinary town routes.

I have just remembered that Safeguard in Guildford still have these four.

• built in 2000 - X307 CBT - Optare Excel 10.7m

• built in 2000 - X308 CBT - Optare Excel 10.7m

• built in 2002 - VU02 TTJ - Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer 8.8m (MPD)

• built in 2003 - YJ03 UMM - Optare Excel 11.5m

They are all still in regular daily use on the busy frequent 3/4/5/18 and always look to be in great condition which is impressive for buses of that age.

Andyh82

Established Member
First West Yorkshire still have a number of 51 plate ALX400s in use in Huddersfield. Had a look on BusTimes and there are 3 in use on local services today

Transdev Team Pennine routinely use V or W plate Plaxton Presidents on Halifax local services, and Transdev The Keighley Bus Company has a batch of Y plate Plaxton Presidents that sometimes sneak onto public services, there is one in use today

Burnley local services are run mostly by B10BLE/Wright Renown’s that date from 2001

route101

Established Member
X reg optare with Safeguard in Guildford as mentioned above.

Last time I was in Skegness I seen a few Stagecoach Y reg double deckers, are these still running?

I think Stagecoach in Aberdeen have an ex Dublin bus ALX 400 which dates from 2000 but hides under a private reg.

Arriva’s oldest buses in use are the 5 W-XKX Tridents left in use at Luton, they particuarly see use on the local services in school holidays, they’ve also a couple of 2002 East Lancs bodied DAF DB250s there.

If you count open tops then Stagecoach’s oldest are their final survivors (others survive with independents) of the S-BWC Tridents used on the Skegness 1/3 services, as well as some slightly newer examples. Honourable mentions for the three former Dublin AV class B7TL/ALX400s they still have at Bluebird at Aberdeen also mentioned by @route101 , which range from 2000-2002 and are their oldest closed top double deckers, after a few 2002 Tridents in the East Midlands.

Another one I’d like to mention is National Express West Midlands’ first Trident 4125/Y716TOH, which has stayed in service well past the rest of its batch. It was their first ALX400 and has been beautifully restored to its original Travel West Midlands livery and interior. You can sometimes get a full run on it from Birmingham to Cannock on the X51 if you’re lucky, as it’s been converted to Euro 6 for Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone (oldest known bus in the UK to have done so I believe).

As others have said Transdev Blazefield is a good call for elderly Volvo B7TLs and B10BLEs, which look set to be replaced in the near future when electrics start rolling in.

route101

Established Member
Arriva’s oldest buses in use are the 5 W-XKX Tridents left in use at Luton, they particuarly see use on the local services in school holidays, they’ve also a couple of 2002 East Lancs bodied DAF DB250s there.

If you count open tops then Stagecoach’s oldest are their final survivors (others survive with independents) of the S-BWC Tridents used on the Skegness 1/3 services, as well as some slightly newer examples. Honourable mentions for the three former Dublin AV class B7TL/ALX400s they still have at Bluebird at Aberdeen also mentioned by @route101 , which range from 2000-2002 and are their oldest closed top double deckers, after a few 2002 Tridents in the East Midlands.

Another one I’d like to mention is National Express West Midlands’ first Trident 4125/Y716TOH, which has stayed in service well past the rest of its batch. It was their first ALX400 and has been beautifully restored to its original Travel West Midlands livery and interior. You can sometimes get a full run on it from Birmingham to Cannock on the X51 if you’re lucky, as it’s been converted to Euro 6 for Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone (oldest known bus in the UK to have done so I believe).

As others have said Transdev Blazefield is a good call for elderly Volvo B7TLs and B10BLEs, which look set to be replaced in the near future when electrics start rolling in.
I was in the West Midlands yesterday and noticed a good numbers of Tridents in service mostly 03 plate and 04 plate.

CBlue

With a build date of 1997, MC56HAM must be the winner. PSVAR only really applied for vehicles from 2001 onwards and it's rare to see anything older than that date converted to meet spec. The 51 plate Stagecoach Solos in Carlisle are likely some of the oldest of their type still in service bus use, too.

InOban

Established Member
@CBlue said:
With a build date of 1997, MC56HAM must be the winner. PSVAR only really applied for vehicles from 2001 onwards and it's rare to see anything older than that date converted to meet spec. The 51 plate Stagecoach Solos in Carlisle are likely some of the oldest of their type still in service bus use, too.
As a matter of interest why would a 97-built bus have a registration number from 2006?

Last edited by a moderator:

gmaguire

Hedingham in Essex still have a few President B7TLs, which are all former Go-Ahead London PVLs:

- W426 WGH (former PVL126)
- W491 WGH (former PVL91)
- X584 EGK (former PVL184)
- PL51 LDU (former PVL254)
- PJ02 RBY (former PVL280)

The two W reg. are interesting since they have an unusual interior layout with the staircase in the middle, which was popular with London operators at the time.

Southern Transit in Sussex have a mixed fleet that contains a few older ones, which are mostly ALX400 Tridents. They would usually run on their route 3, but that has been mothballed since January 2021 for a variety of reasons. However they still show up on rail replacement.

- T801 RFG - East Lancs Lolyne Trident (former Brighton & Hove 701)
- V101 LGC - ALX400 B7TL (former Go-Ahead London AVL1)
- V301 KGW - ALX400 Trident (former Connex Bus TA1 / Abellio 9701)

The above three seem to have been acquired for preservation, so probably won't be going anywhere. V101 LGC and V301 KGW also have the quirky centre staircase layout.

- R370 LGH - Northern Counties Palatine II Volvo Olympian (former Go-Ahead London NV170 - convertible open top)

This Olympian did sometimes work route 3 when the route was still operating. Their other older buses include:

- Y386 NHK - ALX400 Trident (former Stagecoach London TA386 / 17386)
- Y514 NHK - ALX400 Trident (former Stagecoach London TA400 / 17400)
- Y517 NHK - ALX400 Trident (former Stagecoach London TA406 / 17406)
- Y32 HWB - ALX400 Trident (former Connex Bus TA32 / Abellio 9732)
- Y38 HWB - ALX400 Trident (former Connex Bus TA38 / Abellio 9738)

After looking at their website I can see they also have a '59 tube stock and what looks like a 4CIG !

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member

As a matter of interest why would a 97-built bus have a registration number from 2006?
My understanding is that it isn't possible to put a newer registration plate on a vehicle than its actual age, so it seems implausible that a bus manufactured in 1997 would have a 2006 number plate.

gmaguire

MC56HAM may have been built in 1997 and never sold until 2006, where it could have been registered for the first time and given that registration.

Tom Gallacher

MC56HAM may have been built in 1997 and never sold until 2006, where it could have been registered for the first time and given that registration.
I believe that this was one of the original prototypes that was indeed built in 1997 but not registered until 2006 hence the 56 plate. It also qualifies as a "Dennis" as opposed to Transbus.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I believe that this was one of the original prototypes that was indeed built in 1997 but not registered until 2006 hence the 56 plate. It also qualifies as a "Dennis" as opposed to Transbus.
Ah yes, that is what is stated here.
MC56HAM
One of the most interesting buses in the Hams Travel fleet is this Dennis Dart SPD - actually the first one built - as a development vehicle for Dennis in 1997. Unregistered for many years, it was acquired by Hams in 2006 and registered as seen as a new vehicle. This is one of only two examples of the SPD chassis with the earlier style of Pointer SLF body (the other being demonstrator S861 VAT). It's recently been repainted into the latest livery and is seen in Tunbridge Wells on the 297 service.

jammy36

It was built as a Super Pointer Dart (SPD) prototype/development vehicle (hence the Pointer 1 bodywork) and never registered, nor was it fitted out internally. The vehicle was acquired by Hams from Alexander Dennis (Guildford) and the interior fit out finished by Hams associated company Benenden Coachworks. It was then certified and registered for the first time in Nov-06, hence the 56 plate.

Burnley bus operate a number of early 2000s buses regularly.
Select bus in Staffordshire have some old examples in its fleet from a variety of backgrounds.

MacT

First Hampshire & Dorset's Wessex division operates 3x B7TL ALX400s dating from 2000, all now wearing private plates commonly see action primarily in the summer (Due to them being open toppers), on tourist based routes such as the 501 & X52.

Go South Coast operate 2x SN51 Trident Presidents on services in and around Swindon, mainly seeing action on school services. There is also a batch of HW52 B7TL Presidents which see action in both Salisbury & the IOW on a regular basis. Additionally a pair of CE52 Solos operate local services within Dorset under 'Damory'.

Many of these are years off of the oldest vehicles in the country, put paint a picture of the oldest in public service in the Dorset/Hampshire region.

route101

Established Member
First Hampshire & Dorset's Wessex division operates 3x B7TL ALX400s dating from 2000, all now wearing private plates commonly see action primarily in the summer (Due to them being open toppers), on tourist based routes such as the 501 & X52.

Go South Coast operate 2x SN51 Trident Presidents on services in and around Swindon, mainly seeing action on school services. There is also a batch of HW52 B7TL Presidents which see action in both Salisbury & the IOW on a regular basis. Additionally a pair of CE52 Solos operate local services within Dorset under 'Damory'.

Many of these are years off of the oldest vehicles in the country, put paint a picture of the oldest in public service in the Dorset/Hampshire region.
First Cymru have a number of W reg ALX400's running around Swansea area
There is an ex Lothian 51 plate trident that I have seen in Southampton on the tendered 13. Not sure if it still runs.

MacT

There is an ex Lothian 51 plate trident that I have seen in Southampton on the tendered 13. Not sure if it still runs.
Do you mean the Southampton Minilink 51 plate president? If so its a B7TL and new to Metroline London. It has since been sold.

asw22

First West Yorkshire still have a number of 51 plate ALX400s in use in Huddersfield. Had a look on BusTimes and there are 3 in use on local services today

Transdev Team Pennine routinely use V or W plate Plaxton Presidents on Halifax local services, and Transdev The Keighley Bus Company has a batch of Y plate Plaxton Presidents that sometimes sneak onto public services, there is one in use today

Burnley local services are run mostly by B10BLE/Wright Renown’s that date from 2001

Transdev in Blackburn have 2/3 X-reg B10BLEs running still.

Transdev seem to have a few in use at Harrogate, Keighley, Burnley and Blackburn - those that have been refurbished feel newer though and some have private plates.

Harrogate have V69MOA and W118DOP that occasionally make it on to services 7 and 8.
Keighley has several of the Y-HRN batch regularly on K7, K9 and 67 routes.
Blackburn and Burnley have several from the X-YUG and Y-HRN batches in regular service albeit with private plates and some have USB power.

As an aside, Keighley to Bradford 662 has had the same batch of vehicles on it since 2005 although ZEBRA will see new vehicles introduced.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stagecoach Bluebird have a trio of Ex-Dublin Bus Volvo B7TL ALX400s in service dating from 2000 (16974), 2001 (16975) and 2002 (16977).

vla50

What are the oldest buses still in use on public registered bus routes?

These three buses owned by Hams Travel are all still in regular use. They appear often their public registered school routes and sometimes on their normal service routes too. They are the oldest i can think of.

• built in 1997 - MC56 HAM - Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer MK1 11.3m (SPD)

• built in 1998 - S303 JUA - Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer MK2 10.2m

• built in 2002 - MC06 HAM - Dennis Dart SLF Novosadska Neobus

I think these must be some of the oldest buses that are still in use.

Can anyone think of any other old buses that are still in use on public registered bus routes?
Not as old but there are still 51/02/52 reg Tridents & Volvo Presidents running around Norwich

Hedingham in Essex still have a few President B7TLs, which are all former Go-Ahead London PVLs:

- W426 WGH (former PVL126)
- W491 WGH (former PVL91)
- X584 EGK (former PVL184)
- PL51 LDU (former PVL254)
- PJ02 RBY (former PVL280)

The two W reg. are interesting since they have an unusual interior layout with the staircase in the middle, which was popular with London operators at the time.
Don’t know if they were hugely popular for a long time as the 25 batch had to be moved to a different route though cannot for the life of me remember why

pemma

Veteran Member
Warrington's Own Buses have some old deckers in use including Wright Eclipse Geminis BD51 YCR and BD51 YCS.

341o2

Established Member
Imberbus is a public registered service under the Bath bus Company, although the licence is currently expired. I expect this applies to similar heritage operations such as the Bear Cross Bus company, Bournemouth, which has operated a seasonal service with an open top Atlantean

railwaytrack

Many thanks for all the further replies. Interesting to see which vehicles are still in use. I have just remembered that Autocar still have their step entrance OSJ 1X (which is a Scania N113DRB East Lancs) which seems to still get some use on public registered school routes. I am not sure how old it is as it has a private reg number.

Status
Not open for further replies.