• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Parallel moves (signalling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It is often quoted that only one train can depart Bradford Interchange at any given time; there being no provision for Parallel moves.

That has had me thinking about the locations where they can be accommodated. Clearly almost all the London terminals will have this, but are there any more surprising examples?

One that is always a surprise to me when witness to it is Hull Paragon, 1 towards Beverley and 1 towards Brough. At quite some speed too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

The 07:00 to Euston departs Lime Street at the same time as the Northern service to Wigan North Western, and they tend to run alongside each other for the entire length of the Lime Street cuttings before the Northern service stops at Edge Hill.

Same thing happens at 07:42 with the Norwich and Manchester Victoria services.

takno

Established Member
Mill Lane Jn at Bradford effectively sees the platform lines merge into a single two track railway briefly before branching off in different directions. This wasn't the case as built, and I think came about with the rationalization in 1973. I would guess on the wider network that where the platforms are bi-directional it's more common to be able to have parallel moves than not.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Guildford you can sometimes have 3 simultaneous departures northbound, 1 towards London Road, 1 towards Woking and 1 towards Ash/Reading.

You can also have 2 simultaneous down departures too, although this only happens when it's quiet or occasionally towards the end of the peak period.

snowball

Established Member
Mill Lane Jn at Bradford effectively sees the platform lines merge into a single two track railway briefly before branching off in different directions. This wasn't the case as built, and I think came about with the rationalization in 1973.
From the Enhancements Delivery Plan:
In addition the programme will deliver the following:
Bradford Mill Lane Capacity – infrastructure improvements to provide
parallel moves at Bradford Interchange to/from Leeds and Halifax.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Probably never used in practise, but given that at least one of the two lines between Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central is bi-directional...? Maybe.

Departure-wise though, EXD probably has seen an Exmouth/Waterloo departure from platform 1 at the same time as a southbound departure from 3 or 4. They're not parallel for very far though - just to the end of the platforms!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Only 29 chains as far as Bristol East Junction, and usually from opposite sides of the station so not that parallel in the mathematical sense, but there are simultaneous departures from Bristol Temple Meads towards Bath and Bristol Parkway on every hour and half hour for most of the day.

Nippy

Plenty of options around Reading for it. Admittedly some are only 1 signal section though.

Jimini

Established Member
Leytonstone westbound on the central line too for a fair bit until the tracks merge.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ely is good fun.

About xx16 in most hours, see:
-The Stansted-Birmingham XC service depart northbound from Platform 1 via the Down line
-The Liverpool-Norwich EMT service depart from Platform 3 wrong-direction on the Up line

They then drag race each other to Ely North Jn!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Llandudno Junction sees Bangor / Holyhead departures from platform 3 leaving at the same time as Llandudno departures from platform 2 (bay) and run just a short distance alongside each other until the Llandudno train heads onto the branch, sometimes the same happens in reverse but not very often have I seen this.

Chester also sometimes sees Shrewsbury / Birmingham and South Wales bound trains leave platform 2 at the same time as a North Wales Coast bound train from platform 3

philthetube

Established Member
On the metropolitan line / Chiltern at Harrow on the Hill four trains can depart north at the same time,

Platform 1/2 towords Rickmansworth on the fast
Platform 3/4 Watford/Rickmansworth local
Platform 4/5 into the siding
Platform 5/6 Uxbridge

I can't imagine there are many 6 platform stations where this can happen.

AndrewE

Established Member
I thought that this was the norm across the network (where there is more than 1 line signalled for the move.) I would have said it's more likely that the constraint applies mostly where the track has been short-sightedly over-simplified. I don't think a parallel move has to be in the same direction, so single lead junctions between two double track lines are another example of capacity compromised for cheapness.

BantamMenace

Ely is good fun.

-The Stansted-Birmingham XC service depart northbound from Platform 1 via the Down line
-The Liverpool-Norwich EMT service depart from Platform 3 wrong-direction on the Up line

Similar at Peterborough with a Leicester bound and northbound ECML service. The DMU usually has the upper hand before turning for Stamford.

MichaelAMW

On the metropolitan line / Chiltern at Harrow on the Hill four trains can depart north at the same time,

Platform 1/2 towords Rickmansworth on the fast
Platform 3/4 Watford/Rickmansworth local
Platform 4/5 into the siding
Platform 5/6 Uxbridge

I can't imagine there are many 6 platform stations where this can happen.

Nottingham heading west. (Five platforms, really, since one of them only faces the other way.)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Although there are no simultaneous departures timetabled trains can leave platform 1 at Newport for Cardiff on the Down Relief and Platform 2 on the Down Main and theoretically run side by side all the way.

On a major event day fairly recently (EUFA Cup?) up trains were timetabled to depart Cardiff Central and arrive at Newport simultaneously on the Main and Relief lines. I don't know if it happened in reality as the timetable tends to go out of the window and trains are dispatched once they're full.

It is often quoted that only one train can depart Bradford Interchange at any given time; there being no provision for Parallel moves.

That has had me thinking about the locations where they can be accommodated. Clearly almost all the London terminals will have this, but are there any more surprising examples?

One that is always a surprise to me when witness to it is Hull Paragon, 1 towards Beverley and 1 towards Brough. At quite some speed too!

Aylesbury used to have three diagrammed parallel moves all in the same direction, with a move from the sidings to P3, an arrival into P2 from Amersham and an arrival into P1 from P. Risborough, but little tweaks to the timetable as the years progressed have removed it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Southampton Central on the up through the tunnel. Doing that move bang road is a bum tightener I can tell you!

Done that a couple of times now, (only as a passenger though) and in the down direction as well. Even then it feels weird going through the tunnel on the wrong side...

Lrd

Established Member
Done that a couple of times now, (only as a passenger though) and in the down direction as well. Even then it feels weird going through the tunnel on the wrong side...
Used to do it on the down quite often on the "Salisbury 6" service if it was delayed by a couple of minutes and the Pompey stopper got let in front at St Deny's.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’d assume Fratton and Southsea count for this bit of trivia.

2 up services from Fratton, 2 down services, and you could in theory have 2 (possibly even 3, not sure on exactly point Work) up services departing from Southsea simultaneously.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Norwich quite often sees an train leave towards Trowse Swingbridge as a unit departs to the local branches.

iantherev

Probably never used in practise, but given that at least one of the two lines between Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central is bi-directional...? Maybe.

Departure-wise though, EXD probably has seen an Exmouth/Waterloo departure from platform 1 at the same time as a southbound departure from 3 or 4. They're not parallel for very far though - just to the end of the platforms!

I’ve been on a Basingstoke SWR train which has left P3 at the same time as a late running GWR Barnstaple -Central train from P1.

SeanG

You can get this at Newcastle. I think there are 3 departures at 0700

hick

Clapham Junction platforms 1&2, and more unusually Dalston Junction southbound

xotGD

Established Member
There are parallel arrivals and departures at the west end of Leeds pretty much constantly. Yesterday my arrival into P17 was running alongside a TPE into P15 on the next track.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Southampton Central on the up through the tunnel. Doing that move bang road is a bum tightener I can tell you!

You woose. :lol:

Nowt wrong with that one, did it loads of times when I was down there, I'd still be happy to do it today.

The one that threw me as going from Platform 1 at Central and going down the up fast to Millbrook FLT before crossing over to the down main. That was a really weird feeling and quite unnatural.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ely is good fun.

The XC will always win if neck & neck as it has a 10mph advantage over the North Junction.

ABB125

Established Member
Worcester Foregate Street is effectively 2 single lines for each route to Shrub Hill/Droitwich. Both are bi-directional, and I have seen trains depart in the same direction simultaneously on both tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.