• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Places that National Express coaches no longer serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
I remember the London to Lincolnshire corridor seeing some reductions towards the end of 2019 with some stops removed from the network. Maybe that explains why Peterborough has never returned- usage of the routes was in decline.

Not strictly withdrawals but there are no longer any NX services from South West to Birmingham via Gloucester. Between Bristol and Birmingham they now stop at Cheltenham only. In addition Derby only recently seemed to return to the Birmingham to Bradford corridor with one journey each way and I'm not sure if Chesterfield has ever come back.

My memory was that Birmingham-Derby-Birmingham was quite popular so I'm quite surprised this got removed for so long.
Chesterfield is served by the 465 and two 560 services daily.

I fair few services do Birmingham - Leicester - Nottingham before heading North.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richard1976

Stocksbridge (north Sheffield) is a town no longer served by National Express, before Covid there were coaches between Sheffield and Manchester which stopped there, now you cannot get a coach between Sheffield and Manchester without going via Leeds!
Some (or all) of those services used to call at Crowden and Hollingworth as well

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Years ago it served the town centre, but I know they built a coachway by the M40. So isn't that served now ?
No, that's not served either. In the mid 2010s my wife used to have clients in High Wycombe and used to stay in Stokenchurch. Occasionally she'd stay the weekend and I'd join her and leave Sunday evening. On a Sunday the 737 provided more trips between Stokenchurch and High Wycombe than the local bus service so I'd usually catch that then a train.

It stopped serving both Stokenchurch and High Wycombe in 2020.

Last edited:

Mwanesh

Peterborough don't think it will return. The day the 449 and 448 contract changed from Stagecoach Peterborough I knew they were done. The Stevenage section of the 777 can't see it coming back it never carried anyone. I remember breaking down in Stevenage with 4 passengers and getting taxis for them to Luton. That was during the Veolia days.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Peterborough don't think it will return. The day the 449 and 448 contract changed from Stagecoach Peterborough I knew they were done. The Stevenage section of the 777 can't see it coming back it never carried anyone. I remember breaking down in Stevenage with 4 passengers and getting taxis for them to Luton. That was during the Veolia days.
There are some coaches to Peterborough albeit not many

riceuten

The coach to Stansted from Stevenage was useful as there are no longer any normal bus links (as there used to be). Now if you want to go there it's a taxi (£65+), or a train via Cambridge or Finsbury Park. Or you can take a train to Hertford and pick the coach up there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The coach to Stansted from Stevenage was useful as there are no longer any normal bus links (as there used to be). Now if you want to go there it's a taxi (£65+), or a train via Cambridge or Finsbury Park. Or you can take a train to Hertford and pick the coach up there.
Yes. When we lived at Hitchin we used the old 700 bus to the airport and the coach back. At the time it was annoying that both passed out house, but we had to go to the town centre to catch them. Still, better to have had them at all.

Hitchin used to be quite a hub for coaches - I caught them home at 2 or 3am from Cambridge and 1 and 4am from Birmingham and there were direct coaches to all 4 London airports.

Mwanesh

I think they need to bring that back. It was useful. Don't see why the 777 now goes via Cambridge and Leicester.

tramdan

Worksop and Retford used to have an extension of the 450 to London. Retford-Worksop-Mansfield-Nottingham…London. There was an evening return working.

I once used it to make a cheap return journey between Worksop and Nottingham, the tickets being quite a bit cheaper and a lot quicker than the Sherwood Arrow.

I believe some coaches still serve Mansfield, but the extension to Retford was poorly used (I was the only passenger to Worksop) and I think it was a casualty of Covid.

Welshman

Established Member
The North Wales Coast has seen a large reduction in services.
When I first retired here some 12 years ago, there were coaches from Pwllheli, Bangor and all along the coast to London, Leeds and Newcastle.
Now there's just the one truncated Service 175 from Llandudno to Manchester, serving Colwyn Bay and Abergele before taking the A55 trunk road and non-stop to Birkenhead. Places such as Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint and several holiday camps are no longer served.

Essan

There used to be at least one NatEx coach a day pass through Evesham (and since it didn't go around the bypass I'm assuming Evesham was a scheduled stop for it). That no longer happens - not sure when the service ended but possibly during Covid.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Newcastle-under-Lyme is no longer served. Prior to covid it was served once daily in each direction by, I think, the 305 Liverpool-Southend service. Newcastle-under-Lyme is now served several times per day by Megabus, who did not previously serve the town.

kijeta

Interesting, is there a list of old National Express timetables somewhere or is this a collection of yours?
Not that I know of. These two pieces of information are purely from just browsing the internet for Monmouth's transportation history.

Pat Figg

In the early to mid 90s I regularly caught the Aberdare to Great Yarmouth National Express service, though I only used to use it to go as far as Leicester. It called all over the heads of the south Wales valleys e.g. Merthyr, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, Abergavenny before heading off to Hereford, Worcester, Bromsgrove etc. There was then a 50 minute wait at Digbeth which allowed connections between all sorts of cross country services. It carried on to Leicester, Peterborough, King's Lynn etc. and I now regret never making the whole journey. There was also a daily early morning service to London.

The Great Yarmouth route was later replaced in about the late 90s by an Aberdare to Bradford service which I caught once all the way to Bradford in about 2002. Took about 10 hours to do the whole route and I don't think many passengers ever did.

Just took a brief look at the current map on their website and it seems they offer a fraction of the services that they used to. I don't think any of the south Wales valleys towns are served by National Express at all these days.

Revilo

Clevedon and Nailsea in North Somerset, previously served as part the once-a-day 040 Weston to London, are now omitted.

Statto

Established Member
The 440 London - Derby which had a daily extention to & from Manchester, calling at Matlock, Buxton, Stockport, which are no longer served by National Express.

Think Stockport had a couple of routes & the 440 too but all gone.

Altrincham too used to have a couple of National Express routes calling in, which no longer do.

route101

Established Member
Aldershot used to be served by National Express. Possibly the 030 Portsmouth to London.

I have a 96-97 Natex timetable. ask questions...
What routes ran from Glasgow and Southampton at the time?

Ken H

On Moderation
Aldershot used to be served by National Express. Possibly the 030 Portsmouth to London.

What routes ran from Glasgow and Southampton at the time?
Glasgow
336 Edinburgh - Penzance
394 Newcastle - Glasgow
588 Inverness - London
590 Aberdeen - London
593 Perth - London
596 Glenrothes - London
638 Perth - Ayr Butlins
737 Lincoln - Glasgow via Leeds, Carlisle
738 Oxford - Aberdeen/Inverness via Manchester
739 Edinburgh - Bournemouth via Birmingham & Oxford
742 Wrexham - Edinburgh
749 Dundee - Cardiff
752 Dundee - Kettering via Carlisle, Nottingham, Leicester
794 Hull - Glasgow via Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Edinburgh
838 Manchester - Glasgow Rapide

005 Yeovil/Salisbury - London. The yeovil service doesnt do Southampton but shares service number
072 Bournemouth/Southsea - London
300 Southsea - Bristol
303 Southsea - Oxford & Manchester
304 Manchester - Brighton
310 Poertsmouth - Bradford via Basingstoke, Oxfrod, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds
315 Brighton - Helston
711 Newcastle - Bournemouth
739 Edinburgh -Bpurnemouth via Carlisle - Oxford
816 Southsea - London Rapide
830 Liverpool - Bournemouth Rapide

Glasgow summary timetable from winter 96/97 natex timetable

I am scanning the 96/97 Natex timetable and quite a lot of tables have this
1695053602513.png

I assume this means that part route is stage carriage?
How would payment be made. Did the driver have a ticket machine (what?) or did he write tickets?
Is this still a thing on Natex?

Attachments

• summary m1.jpg
    summary m1.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 14
  • summary m2.jpg
    summary m2.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 14
  • summary m3.jpg
    summary m3.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Many villages were served by NX constituent companies dating back to the pre-motorway era, and a time when private car ownership was considerably less than now. When I started coach driving for Midland Red on National Express services in 1874, two of the old pre-motorway routes between Birmingham and London still ran (3½ hours driving each way!) and the number of stops was amazing. Rarely were any used, though.

I doubt if more than 3 or 4 of the stops on the Harwich - Bangor service are still in use!
Harwich - Bangor service 1970 .jpg

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Many villages were served by NX constituent companies dating back to the pre-motorway era, and a time when private car ownership was considerably less than now. When I started coach driving for Midland Red on National Express services in 1874, two of the old pre-motorway routes between Birmingham and London still ran (3½ hours driving each way!) and the number of stops was amazing. Rarely were any used, though.

I doubt if more than 3 or 4 of the stops on the Harwich - Bangor service are still in use!
1874? That's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.