• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Platforms where you can only alight or only board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

How does Uckfield work these days? Many years since I went there, but trains arrived at one platform and shunted to the other to depart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alan2603

How about the shuttle train that runs at Heathrow Terminal 5 – to/from the Terminal 5 satellite terminals from T5A-T5B-T5C (and back).

To keep the arrival passenger stream from the departure passengers stream, the doors on the train open on different sides (thus onto different platforms) depending on if carrying departing passengers T5A-T5B-T5C or arriving passengers who travel from T5C-T5B-T5A.

There is a ‘security check’ every time the train arrives at T5A to make sure all ‘arrivals stream’ passengers have got off on the arrival’s platform. Those doors then close, before the doors open on the departures side.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Does Clapham junctions platform 7 and 9 count? Although there is nothing stopping people, all trains on the up loop are unadvertised at Clapham, and platform 9 are all pick up only?

The above mentioned Taunton platform 6 is a great example though!
CJ platform 7 has a surprising number of passengers boarding, while 9 has a few alighting occasionally. There is nothing to prevent either from an operational viewpoint. BTW, it still amazes me that a station of the intense busy-ness of CJ has very frequent trains calling that are too long for some platforms (7 and 9). I know it doesn't cause problems as a whole but it still seems amazing that the situation has survived until now (and for a long time to come, I expect).

Kite159

Veteran Member
No, trams arrive and depart from the same 'platform' nowadays. Only the illuminations specials go round the loop.

Do they run wrong-line back to the crossover at Harrow Place?

Do the Illuminations specials even get that far south? (Don't they normally use the loop at Pleasure Beach)

----

Clapham Junction, in the days of SWT the screen on platform 7 would say "Welcome to Clapham Junction" but services were listed on the "next train to London" screen, just more frequent from P10 (or P3/4). These days, the screen shows trains to London.

Steddenm

No, trams arrive and depart from the same 'platform' nowadays. Only the illuminations specials go round the loop.
Do they? Most trams arrive at the platform roadside, go up to the headshunt by the old crazy golf, driver swaps ends, tram crosses over then into the depot side platform to depart towards Fleetwood Ferry.

The heritage trams do the same, and the illuminated trams do indeed use the loop, but most of these only operate to/from Pleasure Beach, use the loop there and then the loop further up at Bispham or round the Fleetwood Loop.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Hereford platform 4 can only be used to depart. There is no crossover to allow trains to access it directly. I don't think there are any services using it in the current timetable.
There was a failed train that came back to P4 a couple of months ago and all the passengers got off of it, so it can be done but no it's not timetabled at all. LM used to have some services that arrived and departed from P4 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.