• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Quay side/ Harbour stations/ terminuses

randyrippley

Established Member
Morecambe Stone Jetty and the earlier but usually forgotten Wooden Jetty

Barrow in Furness: Ramsden Dock and Roa Island were both ferry terminals, were there any others on the dock complex?

Windermere: Lakeside
Coniston - did the railway reach the jetty?

Gourock, Greenock, any more on the Clyde?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Liverpool Riverside. Closed in 1971 but oddly still shows up in some journey planners/booking systems.
Which journey planners/booking systems would that be?

Or are you referring to Liverpool Landing Stage?

If you want to go way, way back, there's Tollesbury Pier Station on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway! Opened 1907 and closed 1921. It's hard to imagine how different what is now such a quiet part of the Essex coast would have been had the Pier been a success

hermit

St Helens (Isle of Wight), which was at one time a train ferry terminal and also used to be the port used for transferring roiling stock to and from the island.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Newhaven Marine has been mentioned (now formally closed) But Newhaven Town also potentially fits the criteria of 'Quayside' - it is located right on the Ferry Terminal's security fence and the entrance is basically adjacent to the foot passenger check in. Newhaven harbour is similarly on the port boundary but 'faces' the housing rather than the port.

John Luxton

Established Member
Liverpool Riverside is not in any of the official data sources that I have access to, so it would be interesting to see exactly where those booking portals are getting the location data from.
Could it be the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company currently at the Landing Stage.

They are due to move to their new purpose built terminal sometime in 2024 which is at the north end of the old Riverside by Waterloo River Entrance.

The Steam Packet issue Sail & Rail tickets to and from stations thus Riverside / Landing Stage is treated as a station?

Taunton

Established Member
No one has mentioned Cobh, County Cork. Once an important departure point for the trans Atlantic Liner trade.
This was actually an intermediate point, the ocean liners anchored out in the bay and were attended by Tenders, smaller ships which went to and from the quayside. The same approach was at Plymouth, last used 1962 (and I may have seen the last Ocean Liner Special to Paddington as it passed through Taunton), where in former times both old GWR and LSWR each had their own separate tenders to their respective quayside stations on opposite sides of Plymouth Sound.

D6130

Established Member
If we are including Ireland, have Rosslare Harbour and Dun Laoghaire been mentioned yet?
Yes....in post #8.

Fenit Pier, Westport Quay and Sligo Quay could also be added to the Irish list....although I'm not certain that they ever had any passenger-carrying ferry services.

Enthusiast

Bideford Quay station was on the quayside of that town in Devon. It was the southern terminus of the Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway which ran for seven miles or so around the peninsula formed by the Taw and Torridge estuaries. It was unusual in that it was completely isolated from the rest of the rail network, the nearest railway station being Bideford which was “East-the-Water” on the opposite side of the Torridge, part of L&SWR.

The station opened in 1905 but, although requisitioned during WW1, the line was closed completely in 1917. After closure, a set of temporary rails had to be laid from the Quay station on the road bridge across the Torridge so that the locomotives could be removed. They ran under their own steam to join the L&SWR rails at Bideford station’s goods yard.

John Luxton

Established Member
Delving further back in to history what about the pre Severn Tunnel crossing from two pier based stations New Passage Pier and Portskewett Pier on he Bristol and South Wales Union Railway?

Traces of the piers remain on both shores as do other associated infrastructure items.

Fenit Pier, Westport Quay and Sligo Quay could also be added to the Irish list....although I'm not certain that they ever had any passenger-carrying ferry services.
Fenit and Sligo never had any passenger shipping services (or passenger trains to the quay) that I'm aware of. I believe Westport Quay did have some special passenger trains to connect with emigrant ships (as well as, at one time, other summer-only services).

Some obscure Irish ones that I don't think have been mentioned yet: Bantry Pier, Cappagh Pier (Kilrush), Killaloe Pier all had passenger services to connect with boats at one time or another. Fahan (on the Londonderry & Lough Swilly in County Donegal) was an important rail-steamer interchange, although it wasn't a terminus and I don't think passenger trains ran onto the pier (though there was a freight siding).The short-lived Magilligan Point horse tramway may count too, as may Donaghadee (station certainly on the seafront, though I'm not sure whether the ferries to Portpatrick were still running by the time the railway opened). There were also a fair number of quayside stations that didn't connect to passenger shipping (Burtonport, Courtmacsherry etc. etc.).

BrianW

Established Member
Stonehouse Pool, Plymouth (LSWR)?
This was actually an intermediate point, the ocean liners anchored out in the bay and were attended by Tenders, smaller ships which went to and from the quayside. The same approach was at Plymouth, last used 1962 (and I may have seen the last Ocean Liner Special to Paddington as it passed through Taunton), where in former times both old GWR and LSWR each had their own separate tenders to their respective quayside stations on opposite sides of Plymouth Sound.
This Bruce Hunt item may be of interst regarding Stonehouse Pool: https://brucehunt.co.uk/plymouth area home page/stonehouse pool.html
Also to note that Stonehouse and Millbay are on the same (Devon) side of Plymouth Sound (although IIUC some parts on the 'Cornwall' side were part of Devon, and v-v). There is still evidence of the Stonehouse route under City College Plymouth (the site of the former LSWR Devonport Kings Road station)and rails embedded in Richmond Walk.

Maybe Morwellham Quay, further up the Tamar may of interest, 'connecting' with the mine railway? There was also a wagon lift by the railway bridge at Calstock:

Happy researching ...

Rescars

Thanks for this historic one! Certainly excited to take a look at this
Whilst in Galloway, don't forget Garlieston, at the end of a branch on the Wigtonshire Railway. IIRC it was closed to passengers c1900, but the branch stayed open for freight. The station was just across a road from the harbour, but the tracks crossed the road to serve sidings on the quay.

D L Smith tells of occasional special excursions being run from Campbeltown to the Isle of Man, with a steamer working from Campbeltown (on the Kintyre peninsular) to Straraer, then a train to Garlieston (reversing at Newton Stewart) followed by another steamer to IoM. An especially challenging operation, given the tidal nature of Garlieston harbour. This working of a passenger train from one harbour station to another must have been pretty unusual. Were there any other examples I wonder?