• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Railway Station Nests and other Wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
A few years ago there was a fox family living behind Paddington buffer stops. I don't know which platform, nor whether they are still there.

I've seen swallows nesting in the eaves of Castletown station (Isle of Mann).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Before the days when foxes started being everywhere in suburbia, there was a family of them at Twickenham in the grassy wasteland between the up line and the line coming over on the bridge from Teddington. They would often sit by the track in the sunshine, and, if the pups were there, attract attention from the passengers passing by. These days, foxes are so common that nobody takes any notice of them.

Years back, birds would nest in considerable numbers up in the roof at Waterloo. In quiet periods, their tweeting could easily be heard. The relevant authorities must have dealt with this, as I've not heard any birds tweet there for a long time. I've often noticed wagtails hopping around at Clapham Junction, mostly on the Brighton line and South-Western main line platforms

Going back some years, I saw a big rat running along the platform in the evening at East Croydon and at Vauxhall. I also saw one during the day at Earls Court (District Line); it ran along the side of the track then nipped up an empty cable duct under the up platform. I've not seen for several years the little dark grey mice on the track at tube stations; do they still scamper about or have they been removed?

Calthrop

Established Member
A pleasant memory from time spent a number of years ago on the Isle of Wight: southern Britain's last prominent stronghold of the native British red squirrel; the species otherwise, overwhelmingly ousted from those parts by the introduced -- in my opinion less attractive -- American grey squirrel. The "greys" have never got across the Solent; Wight has a thriving population of some three thousand red squirrels; but they're shy, and tend not to be very often seen when one is going about one's normal occasions. I had a stroke of luck at the Wootton terminus of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, one morning I think something between 9 and 10; before the first train of the day. I was sitting on a platform seat on the station, when a red squirrel suddenly appeared from somewhere behind, walked across the platform just a metre or two from me, hopped off the platform edge, crossed the two lines of track, and disappeared into the vegetation on the far side.

A contractor installing the Harrington hump at Braystones was bitten by an adder.

I gather that the high incidence of that species, on a particular stretch of the Shanklin -- Wroxall section of the Ventnor line on the IOW -- this part of the line abandoned in 1966 -- caused railway workers in the days when the line was open, to call that reach of it "Adder Valley".

Elecman

Established Member
Railways are notorious spots for adders ask any seasoned P.Way man o_O!
Certainly caused considerable alarm to the water board operative at Rufford when he found 2 adders resting right next to the meter chamber at the bottom of the embankment behind the signalbox, never seen someone scramble up that steep embankment as fast !!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Ah -- thanks ! I'd thought adders were rather rare...

A good number around - come across a few in my times when legally trackside. They love the ability to bask on nice ballast and a rail web for extra heat. Certain areas quite notorious - thinking of Ash Vale - Aldershot were a friend was SM a few years back , so great care had to be taken when doing box visits etc. One was found in the toilet at Dudden Hill Junction SB , not what you want to come across when you need to go.

Rick1984

A pleasant memory from time spent a number of years ago on the Isle of Wight: southern Britain's last prominent stronghold of the native British red squirrel
I saw a few when I lived there for 4 years. Most scurried off straight away but one; funnily enough in woods behind Lakeside Spa Hotel, Wotton; stayed still and I got a good look.
This one was a very vivid, bright red, almost orange. Others were browner

KieronQuinn

Not a station, but in 2009 Springwatch awarded the "best weird location for a bird's nest" to a pair of blue tits nesting in a level crossing barrier, complete with it rotating every time it opened or closed. Can't find any photos or videos of it sadly, just mentions on other forums and their Flickr comments

Edit: Found three photos

Last edited:
We've currently got two collared doves nesting on the waiting room sign under the eaves above the entrance of the downside waiting room at Settle Station for the second year running.

Because of the precarious position of the nest, eggs would quite often fall out and break on the platform, but this year to alleviate that problem we built a special platform for them to nest on, which they have been using and they haven't lost any eggs thus far this year!

Calthrop

Established Member
I saw a few when I lived there for 4 years. Most scurried off straight away but one; funnily enough in woods behind Lakeside Spa Hotel, Wotton; stayed still and I got a good look.
This one was a very vivid, bright red, almost orange. Others were browner

They do vary a lot in shade -- I've seen one which, colour-wise, could almost have been mistaken for one of the "alien" grey variety ! I have relatives on the IOW, whom I visit quite frequently -- relatives of theirs, in Cowes, get red squirrels regularly in their garden -- lucky people.

Cletus

Established Member
When I was in York last month, I saw three geese
Not a station, but in 2009 Springwatch awarded the "best weird location for a bird's nest" to a pair of blue tits nesting in a level crossing barrier, complete with it rotating every time it opened or closed. Can't find any photos or videos of it sadly, just mentions on other forums and their Flickr comments

Edit: Found three photos

I think that was at Sandwich station.

KieronQuinn

When I was in York last month, I saw three geese

I think that was at Sandwich station.
Can't be, there's overhead lines in the photos but the line at Sandwich isn't electrified. Maybe it happened again at Sandwich?

Rick1984

They do vary a lot in shade -- I've seen one which, colour-wise, could almost have been mistaken for one of the "alien" grey variety !
Yes I've seen ones closer to a grey-brown. Was suprised how much they varied. The bright red one was impressive

philjo

Established Member
About 10 years ago I remember that BBC Springwatch covered a birds nest in a level crossing barrier, so it rotated by 90 degrees every time the barriers went down !

johnnychips

Established Member
There was a report in Metro today about a goose nesting at York Station, but I’m damned if I can find the link!

leezer3

While waiting at Norden station a few years ago, I saw a couple of deer wander onto the line just beyond the disused overbridge. They had to scarper quickly as the first train of the day from Swanage suddenly came steaming into the station.

Reminds me of a trip on the Bodmin and Wenford a couple of years ago, where we managed to chase a deer with a Prarie most of the way up the bank from Parkway :p
Trouble there is that you *really* don't want to stop in a steamer halfway up, as restarting can be near impossible,

johnnychips

Established Member
The BBC report is in the first post of the thread :)
Re: Goose at York

Oops! I get feed from Metro at work, and I have only just gone back after a week, so that must have been the first up, and I mustn’t have looked at the date.

When I moved to Sheffield, I was surprised how many rats you could see, in broad daylight, around the station Supertram stop. Haven’t seen one for ages since the lockdown.

Edit: re-reading this, it sounds like there are normally rats frolicking around the rails in gay abandon. In fact I used to see one every two days or so, but on my daily shopping/exercise walk to the centre since the lockdown, I’ve seen one.

Last edited:

scotlass

The goose at York has now laid 4 eggs in the flower bed and is being looked after by LNER staff, who have put a board up in front of the bed to shield her a bit.

"Goosecam" is played on their Twitter page.

duffield

Established Member
Wasn’t there something about those having been “planted” by a member of station staff to get news coverage of the station and branch?
Yes, see this Independent article.

Relevant quote:
In 1965, an Ongar station foreman bought five (harmless) European scorpions in a Camden pet shop and let them loose in his goods yard. This formed the basis of one of the few scorpion colonies in Britain, which became an attraction. The staff kept quiet about its real origins, and encouraged speculation that it arrived in a banana van in the 1860s.

Par

A family of geese taking advantage of an eerily quiet Manchester during lockdown, having just disembarked at Deansgate on a service from Norwich.

Attachments

• F147F994-6ABA-4280-926B-13D6CC97052F.jpeg
    F147F994-6ABA-4280-926B-13D6CC97052F.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.