• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway stations with thoroughfare

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjohn

Harringay is a footbridge linking both sides of the railway with a station hanging off it (almost literally).
Harringay doesn’t count as nobody has successfully crossed that ridiculously steep bridge from one side to the other. Many have attempted it but died of exhaustion during the ascent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave W

Harringay doesn’t count as nobody has successfully crossed that ridiculously steep bridge from one side to the other. Many have attempted it but died of exhaustion during the ascent.

Aha! Many a time I've been coming back from drinks in the City late on a winter's night and am faced - whilst not exactly sure of foot - with an icy version of that to negotiate my way down to reach solid ground. Never gone over yet, but there's always time...!

InOban

Established Member
Should have thought of Hyndland. You can also walk through underneath Dumbarton central.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Not in an urban area but Hope (Derbyshire) station footbridge is also a public right of way.

johnsmith1979

OP is looking for examples where there are thoroughfares through a railway station that connects a residential area to a town centre as such. Particularly in large towns. Sheffield and Stockport have seen controversy over the last decade with attempts, unsuccefully and sucessfully at introducing ticket barriers. So looking for good examples elsewhere, international examples are great too :D.

It was once possible to access Manchester Vic via the arena entrance in Cheetham/Strangeways to Manchester city centre. But due to fare dodgers and ticket barriers on the concourse this is no longer possible.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There is a Graffiti decorated underpass at Newport which is intended to be replaced by an overbridge later this year, if it happens.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Both platforms at Chapeltown have footpaths emanating from each end, constituting local shortcuts/thoroughfares across the platform lengths. However, despite this you have to leave the station to cross the tracks to reach the opposite platform.

Also, Barnsley station may also count.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
There's a substantial pedestrian flow through London Charing Cross station from the footbridge on the downstream side of Hungerford Bridge, through the concourse and out into Trafalgar Square.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Both platforms at Chapeltown have footpaths emanating from each end, constituting local shortcuts/thoroughfares across the platform lengths. However, despite this you have to leave the station to cross the tracks to reach the opposite platform.

Also, Barnsley station may also count.
In that neck of the woods, I think Meadowhall Interchange has public footpaths which intersect with the station between the Rotherham and Barnsley platforms.

Iskra

Established Member
In that neck of the woods, I think Meadowhall Interchange has public footpaths which intersect with the station between the Rotherham and Barnsley platforms.

Yes, google maps shows a path from the B6082 across the station into the bus station. I wonder how the RPI's who camp on the bridge deal with such people?

Would the footbridge into Wabtec across Doncaster station count for this too?

Snow1964

Established Member
Surbiton station has a double footbridge (in 1930s Southern Railway concrete), one side is for crossing the line, other the access to the platforms

Brockenhurst has a public footbridge at country end which may have been added when platforms extended

Southampton has a footbridge (which replaced a level crossing) at tunnel end (the road was diverted over other end of station as part of the reclamation in 1930s (the 2 extra platforms were originally the shore)

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
The footbridge at Derby seems to have been a public footbridge as well, though it's status is a bit confusing!

Students at Derby College are entitled to a "bridge pass", regular pedestrians normally have to take a diversion via the footpath running alongside the River Derwent.

6026KingJohn

The obvious one is Birmingham New Street. It is because there is a right of way through it that there are so many confusing (to non regular passengers) gate lines/lounges. one for platforms 1A-5A, one for 6A to 12A and one for 1B to 12B.

vlad

Not really urban, but Alvechurch footbridge is a public right of way, I think.

It is. The footpath used to cross the track between the old and new stations but that was closed when they doubled the line so now the only way to cross is via the footbridge.

It's an interesting footpath actually - heading west away from the station you then have to go under the canal through what is little more than a culvert for a stream - even short people have to duck!

Trackman

Established Member
It was once possible to access Manchester Vic via the arena entrance in Cheetham/Strangeways to Manchester city centre. But due to fare dodgers and ticket barriers on the concourse this is no longer possible.
I wonder if you left a concert to use the Metrolink and was stopped at the barriers and said you would buy a ticket on the platfrom, would they let you through?

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
It's an interesting footpath actually - heading west away from the station you then have to go under the canal through what is little more than a culvert for a stream - even short people have to duck!
I've only ever used it from the canal - the bend where it comes out is a good place to moor: a piled edge, 14 days' stay available, and close to the station!

Bedpan

Established Member
Surbiton station has a double footbridge (in 1930s Southern Railway concrete), one side is for crossing the line, other the access to the platforms

With two distinct entrances, albeit alongside each other, at least on the town side, despite the fact that it's the same bridge once you get onto it.

The footbridge at Luton also links High Town on one side of the railway and the Town Centre on the other, but unlike Surbiton there is no segregation, pedestrians walk through the ticket office (which is on the bridge) and past the barriers which give access to four the platforms via a separate bridge.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Earlestown has a public footpath over both station footbridges and across the centre of the triangle. It goes from Platform 1, next to the ticket office to Platform 5 and an exit leading towards Wargrave Road.

randyrippley

Established Member
The barrow crossing at Gillingham (Dorset) is - or at least was - a public footpath. Makes a short cut from an industrial estate to the town centre. At least one fatality there due to the easy access at the time - I believe the crossing is now fenced off from the platforms

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A recent example of this is the much-maligned footbridge at the northern end of East Croydon. The stairs are on the north, the lifts are in the middle but on the south side is an unpaid walkway from one side of the station to the other. Last time I was there (late 2019) the development on the eastern side was still under way so it wasn't actually in use.
The obvious one is Birmingham New Street. It is because there is a right of way through it that there are so many confusing (to non regular passengers) gate lines/lounges. one for platforms 1A-5A, one for 6A to 12A and one for 1B to 12B.
No. The problem is the eastern exit (the one you go through to get to Moor Street). If the A end of the platforms had a common barrier line then anybody using that exit would have to go up and down again. I don't believe there is a public right of way anywhere within New Street station or the Grand Central shopping centre above it.

Snow1964

Established Member
Raynes Park has a public subway under the station
There is also a skew bridge under the London bound platforms (which I think has buried water mains from Hampton) which it is possible to walk or cycle under

But segregated cycle paths under or over stations is probably beyond what was originally asked

The underpass at Purley Oaks is a legitimately used footpath (though not a right of way) between two residential areas of South Croydon. Similarly the footbridge at Sanderstead could legitimately be used as a footpath (it’s outside the barriered area). Less useful (ie it‘s less of a short cut) than Purely Oaks which would save 5-10 minutes.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Hanwell station has a subway which links both entrances of the station and could be used as a thoroughfare. Kensington Olympia footbridge is now divided into two, one side allowing non passengers to cross the railway line.

D365

Veteran Member
Correct, there is a keypad for employees.

Cheers, good to know that it's secured. From the outside it looks almost as forbidding as the Turner Street footbridge south of Sheffield Midland!

Mikey C

Established Member
The platforms at South Kenton station are accessed off a rather unprepossessing public subway underneath the WCML railway line...an unusual station, one of the few Underground stations with no ticket barriers

Gathursty

Established Member
Birchwood in Warrington has the footbridge split in two for access to the footpath towards Padgate and the other platform.
Horton-in-Ribblesdale is used to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks circuit by use of the barrow crossing but there is apparently a footbridge and lift planned to replace it.
I should know more of these but my mind escapes me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.