• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Rare and unusual bus and coach types

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I was going to suggest the Plaxton 4000 coach until I realised how many were used in the UK . [Any survivors??].
I thought you might be onto something there until I actually looked it up and saw how many were actually built!

6 mk1 on Neoplan chassis:

70 mk2 on Neoplan, DAF and Scania chassis:

23 4000RS on Volvo B10MT chassis:

I've only ever seen one of these "in the flesh" and that was B924BGA, a Volvo B10MT. At the time it was owned by Bruce's Coaches, Airdrie and had at one point been the sole coach owned by Scottish Citylink. I travelled on it once from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (via Fife) and it would eventually end up in London. It would have been around 8 years old at the time, but it had clearly seen better days.

A few more oddballs:

Volvo B10MT with Finnish-built Ajokki bodywork:

Volvo B10M with van Rooijen bodywork:
Striking, but... well, make up your own minds!

Volvo B10M with Padane ZX bodywork:
ADV142-6/157/159Y - new to Trathens. Of the 7 listed on Buslistsontheweb, 6 ended up with Dodd's, Troon (1989 Scottish Bus Handbook) - where did the other one go? I'd be interested to know if any of these survived.

Wright Contour:
This isn't as rare as I first though (37 built), with the majority being built on Bedford chassis, but there were a few rarities - 7 on Leyland Tiger chassis, a single Ford R1115, one ACE Puma and one Volvo B10M.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
I don't think anyone's mentioned the East Lancs coach body where fewer than 10 were built, 2 for Halton snd 2 for Hyndburn. The styling was, interesting.... (not my picture)

Whisky Papa

Although I recall Southern Vectis also had a few, another small batch from the Devon General / Western National stable - the 'Mousehole-spec' Marshall B33F Bristol LHS6L. They had two batches of six, 88-93 (VOD 88-93K) were nominally red Devon General vehicles and 1250-5 (VOD 120-5 K) were green WNOC vehicles. The latter batch were mostly used on Penzance - Mousehole routes 508/9, shared with Blue Bus who had a similar (but later) vehicle, PCV 178 R (pictured at Penzance in 1979 below).

The only Devon General route I discovered that required such a short vehicle was the Paignton - Greenway service (119?) which backed into this hole in the retaining wall at Greenway:https://maps.app.goo.gl/3XbHjqx2YB8n7a4V6

By 1980, 92 had escaped to north Devon, and was based at Bideford in WNOC leaf green. It is in Kingscott near Torrington on a Tuesday and Saturday only extension of the 317. Again, apologies for photo quality.

Attachments

• slide 701 600.jpg
    slide 701 600.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • slide 442.jpg
    slide 442.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 18

jammy36

As @Whisky Papa has taken us to Cornwall how about a real rarity the Rowe Hillmaster, built in East Cornwall in the 1950s by M.G Rowe (Motors) Ltd of Dobwalls. Five PSVs (plus an unregistered prototype) were produced. The first a Whitson bodied 38-seat coach was operated by Rowe's own coaching operation. The next four were buses: one with a 44-seat body by Reading of Portsmouth (a lesser known coachbuilder in its own right) for the delightfully named Millbrook Steamboat & Trading Company; and then three for Morlais Motor Services of Merthyr Tydfil which had rather austere 44-seat bodies by Metal Sections (even these weren't standard as the two delivered in 1957 had very differed bodies to the 1958 delivery). The Rowe Hillmaster was notably more successful in goods format with a further 115 chassis produced.

SSmith2009

First Northampton WSU481 was originally a Volvo Citybus but a severe accident meant it was rebodied to a East Lancs Pyoneer.

DunsBus

Established Member
First Northampton WSU481 was originally a Volvo Citybus but a severe accident meant it was rebodied to a East Lancs Pyoneer.
It was still a Volvo Citybus after the accident. :) The original body was an Alexander R-type.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We're only counting body/chassis combinations that were rare as built, so re-bodied examples don't count, I'm afraid.

MotCO

Established Member
One example I don't think has been mentioned so far are the short wheelbase Citaro K's operated by Epsom Buses, and one demonstrated with Metrobus alongside their normal length Citaros on route 358. I think only 10 were sold - BU13 ZVE, and BV66GXY-Z, and BV66GYA-G.

A0wen

On Moderation
Whilst the notorious Willowbrook 003 wasn't uncommon as a body, most of the chassis underneath were Leopards, but there were some exceptions. There were 4 Bedford YMTs - 3 for Southern Vectis, 1 for Excelsior of Dinnington and 1 Seddon Pennine 7 for Johnson of Oldham. Given the weaknesses of the body it is highly unlikely any survive....

DunsBus

Established Member
Whilst the notorious Willowbrook 003 wasn't uncommon as a body, most of the chassis underneath were Leopards, but there were some exceptions. There were 4 Bedford YMTs - 3 for Southern Vectis, 1 for Excelsior of Dinnington and 1 Seddon Pennine 7 for Johnson of Oldham. Given the weaknesses of the body it is highly unlikely any survive....
I believe the Seddon still survives, in undercover storage somewhere in Wales. A notable vehicle, being one of only two Pennine 7s which didn't have either Alexander or Plaxton bodies, as mentioned up thread. It also had/has the last Seddon Pennine 7 chassis built and the last Willowbrook 003 body built.

Kilmarnocklad

Hi. Has anybody mentioned CBU636J which was an AEC Sabre with and ECW coach body. After being a demonstrator, it went on to see use with Kemps of Thanet. As far as I know only four examples were sold.

MotCO

Established Member
One example I don't think has been mentioned so far are the short wheelbase Citaro K's operated by Epsom Buses, and one demonstrated with Metrobus alongside their normal length Citaros on route 358. I think only 10 were sold - BU13 ZVE, and BV66GXY-Z, and BV66GYA-G.

The other long buses made short were the 10.9m short wheelbase Omnicities for Metrobus at Crawley YN08DFJ etc nos. 624 - 633.

Alex 2901

An 11th also exists - BV14 TZY, which is with Yarrantons Brothers of Eardiston, in Worcestershire. Formerly a demonstrator, until it was acquired by them in 2020 for the 291 that they took on at the time.

In terms of unusual combinations of body and chassis, the MCV Evolution 2 had its fair share of oddballs in the 2010s:

VDL SB200

As far as I can tell, only a single SB200 was built with Evolution 2 bodywork; YJ14 CCV, which appears to have been intended as a demonstrator for Arriva Bus & Coach in 2012, but was sold to Richards Bros. in 2014 for their TrawsCymru services.

On display at Euro Bus Expo 2012:

At Richards Bros:

Mercedes Benz OC 500LE

Only ten OC 500LEs were built for the UK around 2010-2011, all of which had MCV Evolution 2 bodywork.

The largest operators of the type were Perrymans on the Scottish border (3 acquired) and Carousel Buses in High Wycombe (also with 3 acquired), whilst the other operators of the type were initially Travel deCourcey in Coventry (2 acquired in 2012), Somerbus in Paulton (1 acquired) and Sargeants in Kington (1 acquired.)

Of the ten built, nine remain in service (AE11 BDF, the ex-Somerbus example was destroyed in a fire at Abus's depot in 2018)

AE11 BDF when operating for Abus, Bristol in 2017:

AE12 AZF when operating for Travel deCourcey as their 573 back in 2015:

MotCO

Established Member
Not sure if the Neoplan low floor bus has been mentioned before. The N4016 was one of the first low floor buses in the country.

There was also a N4009 short wheelbase version

There was also the CVE Omni, I think powered by a Land Rover engine

The Optare Alero also only sold in penny numbers. It desered to do better, but was let down by reliability issues.

Grahamk748

According to BusListsOn TheWeb there were 454 CVE/OBC/OCC Omnis built by the 3 incarnations of the company, most seemed to be non PSV/welfare buses and the Alero had 329 examples again probably mostly non PSV

stadler

There has actually been 20 of the Citaro K buses built for the UK. 3 demonstrators. 8 for Bus Vannin. 9 for RATP London. But still very little compared to other models.

MotCO

Established Member
According to BusListsOn TheWeb there were 454 CVE/OBC/OCC Omnis built by the 3 incarnations of the company, most seemed to be non PSV/welfare buses and the Alero had 329 examples again probably mostly non PSV

There were more of these than I thought! I think I've only seen one Alero 'in the flesh' and no CVEs.

01d-and

Whilst the notorious Willowbrook 003 wasn't uncommon as a body, most of the chassis underneath were Leopards, but there were some exceptions. . . . . . and 1 Seddon Pennine 7 for Johnson of Oldham. Given the weaknesses of the body it is highly unlikely any survive....
How is it I can not remember the four items I have gone to the supermarket for but on reading about the Seddon with Johnson my brain immediately said BNY344Y . . . . !?! It was reported with Brown of Builth so it MAY still be part of their 'collection'. :s:|

MotCO

Established Member
How is it I can not remember the four items I have gone to the supermarket for but on reading about the Seddon with Johnson my brain immediately said BNY344Y . . . . !?! It was reported with Brown of Builth so it MAY still be part of their 'collection'. :s:|
You only remember the important things!

01d-and

You only remember the important things!
Don't you owe me a pint ?? :D BNC344Y was seen by myself a number of times at Digbeth doing National Express 'dupes' . It prompted many [sometimes somewhat heated] discussions - "Its a Plaxton no it's a Duple and so forth. :s

Eyersey468

Established Member
How many Wright bodied Dennis Javelins were built? H840DDL was one of my school buses on the Isle of Wight in the early 2000s, I've never come across another one

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How many Wright bodied Dennis Javelins were built? H840DDL was one of my school buses on the Isle of Wight in the early 2000s, I've never come across another one
Buslistsontheweb.co.uk lists only five. Of the other four, two went to Havering Borough and there was one each for SELB and WELB in Northern Ireland.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Buslistsontheweb.co.uk lists only five. Of the other four, two went to Havering Borough and there was one each for SELB and WELB in Northern Ireland.
Thanks. H840DDL shows as SORN so looks like it's still about somewhere

Thanks. H840DDL shows as SORN so looks like it's still about somewhere
This is a photo from 2020 so fair chance it is still there

Roilshead

How about the six Gloster-Gardners built by the Gloucester Railway & Carriage Works between 1932-34 - six for Red & White, two for Neath & Cardiff?

I was going to suggest the GNR Gardners built by the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) at its Dundalk works between 1937-52, but there were 95 of those (albeit each batch had different bodywork - GNR, Metsec/Harkness/GNR, and Park Royal/GNR).

However, Midland Red 3977 the sole BMMO LA (Light Alloy) single decker built 1951 must count.

H523 CTR comes to mind, ACE Cougar with Wadham Stringer body.

Didn't People's Provincial have both ACE Cougars that were built? There was also the ACE Puma - a midi-coach - of which 12 were built, and the ACE Cheetah - a full-size coach - of which I've no idea of build quantity. ACE Ltd's predecessor, W B Products Ltd, (W B Products was associated with coach operator Ward Brothers of Lepton, ACE [Advanced Chassis Engineering] was a joint venture between Ward Brothers and the Steven Ives owned Abbeyways coach operation of Halifax) built 13 Ward Dalesman C11-640 coach chassis (the prototype having a Leyland Leopard chassis, the production 12 having newly-fabricated chassis based on the Leyland product) and 6 ward Dalesman GRXI bus chassis (for Darlington Transport). In the case of both People's provincial and Darlington Transport, ACE/"Ward" had hopes of repeat business for fleet replacement, but the shareholders' fear of committing significant funds to a cottage-industry manufacturer meant they weren't to be realised.

If I'm correct, out of the ruins of ACE came Kirn, which produced one Mogul chassis - encouraged I think by British Bus, which is how the chassis ended up sitting outside East Lancs works for two years (East Lancs at that time being owned by British Bus), the project - for some reason - having run out of steam". Anyway, Frank Carter - MD of Yorkshire Traction/Lincolnshire - saw the chassis on a visit and had it bodied with a Flyte(?) body for the "Tracky" fleet.

Last edited: