• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Retreating stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmondson

Someone said Balloch - has the station / platforms moved or is it just that Balloch Pier has closed?

Balloch (Formerly Balloch Central) was resited just short of the level crossing that the original station was beyond. This enabled the level crossing to be abolished. This happened at least a couple of years after Balloch Pier closed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leylandlad

Oban

SteamyBrian mentioned Blaenau. There really can't be many examples of building a new station that actually lengthens the original railway :lol:

D6975

Established Member
Glasgow Queen St will go the other way, having its bufferstops moved towards the street to extend the platforms when it gets rebuilt in connection with electrification.

thenorthern

Established Member
Manchester Victoria was cut back when Exchange station closed I think.

I know Bathgate was cut back a lot to fit the new curve in for the line to Airdrie and Drumgelloch was moved forward to make the station bigger.

Taunton

Established Member
A longstanding proposal that comes round every generation or so, fortunately never actually achieved, is to close London Charing Cross and dismantle Hungerford Bridge over the Thames, cutting the service back (somehow) to Waterloo. This is generally fed by architecture zealots who find the bridge structure "an eyesore", regardless of its value in getting passengers to the heart of London where they are going.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This isn't a platform shortening per say but in redoing the concourse at Waterloo to provide more space for passengers, they put a building on one of the platforms, which then blocks access to the subway from one platform face, making it harder for people to get around. Surely going against the creating more space theme. The building is I believe currently used by Boots. One bit of design and planning I disagreed with. The rest of the improvements were OK as far as I've used them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Springs Branch

Established Member
Does anyone know if the platforms at Southport were shortened in the 1970s when the shopping centre was built between the railway and Chapel Street?

I can't find anything to confirm whether the footprint of the current shopping centre covers what used to be a very large station concourse, or whether the platforms were shortened at the Chapel Street end (in the sense of this thread, meaning a slightly longer walk for passengers).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Preston end of the platform at Ormskirk? Prior to the stops going in, Preston-Liverpool services would presumably have stopped in the middle of the platform- thus closer to the entrance.

At Hyndland, they removed the old concrete bridge connecting the island platform to the street. They've installed a new bridge at the opposite end of the platform. It's much higher than the old bridge, so if you're running late, you have twice as many stairs to go up (and back down).

To make things worse, they've removed the '3 car stop' sign on the eastbound platform. So now, the back of the train is quite far from the bottom of the staircase.

Status
Not open for further replies.