• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Roads/or station approaches running parallel with the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stathern Jc

Station Road (West) in Grantham follows the retaining wall of the railway from its junction with Harlaxton Road up to the station forecourt for about half a mile. The inner relief road then also follows the line of the railway for a similar distance in the opposite direction (to the Asda roundabout, Barrowby Road)
I had thought of Station Road but had forgotten about the "new" road. That must be where the old swimming pool used to be, I remember wallowing in there in my teenage years and looking out for the Deltics passing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bishdunster

As demonstrated in this YouTube clip of 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe

Also in the west country, I'm not sure if this stretch alongside the Bristol-Exeter line south of Weston-super-Mare counts as it's not close to a station, though it's only about a mile south of the site of the old Bleadon and Uphill station.
OK, slightly off topic i know, but given the H&S implications these days i am amazed that there are no folding cabside doors fitted on this clip, and this is not intended to wind up the so called rivet counters, just a personal observation :o.

High Dyke

Established Member
I had thought of Station Road but had forgotten about the "new" road. That must be where the old swimming pool used to be, I remember wallowing in there in my teenage years and looking out for the Deltics passing.
The front part of Asda occupies the site of the Quincentenary Pool. The land behind, that bordered up to the railway was a car / lorry park. A photograph in the Britain From Above collection, dated 1926, shows the same area of land as the site. The railway is out of sight to the bottom right.

EPW016186 ENGLAND (1926). The town centre, Grantham, 1926 | Britain From Above

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Getting back onto the original topic of station approach roads running parallel to the railway, I can offer Todmorden, Mytholmroyd and Sowerby Bridge.
Ravensthorpe too. Thought of that one as soon as I saw this thread, but most of the discussion has centred on the "roads" part...

To which I offer an odd one- there's a "back way" on unclassified roads between Slaithwaite and Marsden which largely runs parallel to the Trans-Pennine main line. Not really suitable for "racing" the train though!

SWTCommuter

The A4 Keynsham Bypass alongside the GWML west of Keynsham station.

The M27 alongside the Southampton-Portsmouth line near Swanwick

The A27 alongside the Southampton-Portsmouth line at Fareham

d9009alycidon

The ECML can be followed by road from from just east of Drem to Prestonpans, the road changes number from B1361, A198 then B1377, some stretches are right next to the railway. Further to the East and South the A1 is never far from the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.