• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shack scores just before or just after 00:00/24:00/Midnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thought this might be interesting. In recent months, by pure coincidence I have scratched a new unvisited shack just before or just after midnight and have often wondered if this has happened to many others and if you count them as a score for the day thats just finished or the one thats just beginning.

Example, I scored Norwich at less than a minute to midnight the other day and in December got West Hamsted LU at around the same time with West Hamsted Thameslink about 5 mins after.

Over to you for your thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I'm inclined to agree with this. We were on the platform at 2359 so i'd definitely call that a scratch for the 23rd.
I've never really thought about the cutoff time being 0429 really, but i like it, it might certainly throw a lot of peoples current ways of working.

Established Member
Could you explain what scratching a new unvisited shack is? The only thing I can think is that you went to a Gents that you hadn't been to before.

robbeech

Established Member
One has simply visited a station that one has never been to before. Generally one has to set foot on the platform for this to be accepted.

robbeech

Established Member
I can see logic in midnight, but i do like the 0429 idea. I don't personally keep vast records of this sort of stuff, especially not a date so it matters little to me i guess.

tsr

Established Member
I think Kite159:s idea is based on the expiry of TFL type products which I guess if one was bashing Night tube services would make sense but yeh defo midnight for me.

National Rail tickets (except Advances and any others booked for specific trains not running in the affected times) can usually also be used up to 0429 on the date following that printed on the ticket. This is especially pertinent on the various late-night services into and out of various cities, including the overnight services between Bedford/London and Three Bridges, etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An interesting question this, and I put some thought into it as I read the thread.

My days run from 0001 to 0000, so if I board a train at 0001 it counts as that day. If I leave a train at 0000, it counts as that same day. 0429 is the next day, as is 0002, 0135, 0244 or any other time you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.