• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest journey that includes all operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris M

Reading the thread about visiting the fewest stations to see trains operated by every passenger operator (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129126 ) I was wondering about a journey that took in all of them.

To define what counts for this thread, an "operator" is a company or brand (but not sub-brand*) presented to the public as a separate operator of scheduled passenger trains between any two consecutive National Rail stations on mainland Great Britain over tracks operated by Network Rail on which a member of the public can travel without needing to pre-book.

By this definition, London Underground is an Operator (Bakerloo line trains run between consecutive NR stations), but Heathrow Express is not (journeys between two consecutive NR stations are not possible). Consecutive applies to services rather than literally - Paddington and Reading and Paddington and Acton Main Line are both considered consecutive stations for example as they are NR stations that have services call at them without intermediate stops at non-NR stations)

All legs of the journey must be possible in 2017. Changes of station are allowed only if the transfer can be made by direct train or tram, and must start and end at National Rail stations. If a transfer between trains can be made without leaving railway property it counts as a single station, if it can't then it is two stations (regardless of whether they share the same name) - the only exception is where platforms at the same station are connected only by the public road bridge/underpass/le
Examples:
  • Waterloo to Waterloo East is allowed as you can get from one to the other without leaving NWR property
  • King's Cross to St. Pancras is not as you must cross a public road or walk through TfL property.
  • Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Oxford Road is allowed as you can take a direct tram from one to the other.
  • King's Cross to Waterloo is not allowed as you need to change at a non-National Rail station.
  • Wimbledon to West Croydon is not allowed as you must leave West Croydon tram stop and walk along a public road to get to West Croydon station. Wimbledon to Beckenham Junction is allowed as you can walk between Beckenham Junction tram stop and station without leaving railway property.

"Shortest" can mean either distance travelled or fewest number of stations called at (but not both in one journey).

*Brand vs sub-brand:
GTR has four brands: Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink and Great Northern as they a presented as separate operators.
Chiltern mainline is a sub-brand of Chiltern as it is presented as a service.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sk688

GN services on the northern city line and inner suburban ( upto new Barnet at least)

LO Watford DC line

Covent Garden to Leicester Square

All stops between West Hampstead Thameslink and Blackfriars on TL

Waterloo to Bank

Northolt Park to Sudbury Hill Harrow

West Hampstead Thameslink to Cricklewood

These are a few

Bromley boy

Established Member
I thought I'd read somewhere that Blackfriars - City Thameslink is the shortest distance between two mainline stations (as well as the steepest gradient on the network).

It must be up there as one of the very shortest possible journeys on the NR network.

trash80

Established Member
Isn't the OP asking about a journey that takes in all TOCs not the shortest distance between 2 stations?

Chris M

Isn't the OP asking about a journey that takes in all TOCs not the shortest distance between 2 stations?

Exactly this.
What is the shortest single journey you can make that includes travelling on a service operated by every TOC? It will need to have at least as many legs as there are operators.

edit: I've amended the thread title to try and make this clear.

Last edited:

Chris M

Does the DLR count in this thread?

You don't have to travel on it, as it doesn't traverse any NR lines. You can use it between some NR stations though (Limehouse to Greenwich/Lewisham, Limehouse to Woolwich Arsenal, Stratford to Greenwich/Lewisham, Stratford/West Ham to Woolwich Arsenal; Shadwell is an out of station change so not allowed)

trash80

Established Member
I won't be able to go all the way but you could start off with Worcester Shrub Hill-Foregate St (GWR) then LM to Kidderminster, Chiltern to Smethwick Galton Bridge-Virgin to Bham New St-XC to Derby-EMT to Crewe-Northern to Manchester ? - then i run out of ideas :P

trash80

Established Member
Actually no better to take ATW Crewe to Chester, Merseyrail to Lime St then TPE across the Pennines.

chris89

Established Member
Not all, but a large amount.

Edinburgh Waverley - Edinburgh Haymarket. Scotrail, Cross Country, Virgin Trains West/ East Coast.

Also can 'semi' add Haymarket - Edinburgh Park? Although both tram stops are outside the stations though.

sjm93

Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Oxford Road is allowed as you can take a direct tram from one to the other.

Oxford Road does not have a tram station (Deansgate does though). Even if this were true, what's the difference between that and getting the tube from Kings Cross to Waterloo?

matt_world2004

Established Member
Wouldnt stratford international to stratford on the dlr ne the shortest journey between two national rail stations.

I won't be able to go all the way but you could start off with Worcester Shrub Hill-Foregate St (GWR) then LM to Kidderminster, Chiltern to Smethwick Galton Bridge-Virgin to Bham New St-XC to Derby-EMT to Crewe-Northern to Manchester ? - then i run out of ideas :P

then TPE to Leeds , VTEC down the ECML changing onto a slower train to get another operator or two before hitting London

or TPE through Leeds towards the North swapping to VTEC towards edinburgh, then somethign scotrail and back down to London on the sleeper then VWC to somewhere ...

Last edited:

Denzo

Not all, but a large amount.

Edinburgh Waverley - Edinburgh Haymarket. Scotrail, Cross Country, Virgin Trains West/ East Coast.

Also can 'semi' add Haymarket - Edinburgh Park? Although both tram stops are outside the stations though.

Transpennine express does this as well. Wonder if this would be the only pair of stations where customers wishing to make a direct journey would have the choice of FIVE operators.

xotGD

Established Member
then TPE to Leeds , VTEC down the ECML changing onto a slower train to get another operator or two before hitting London

or TPE through Leeds towards the North swapping to VTEC towards edinburgh, then somethign scotrail and back down to London on the sleeper then VWC to somewhere ...

From Leeds, Cross-country to Wakefield Westgate, Northern to Kirkgate, Grand Central to Doncaster, Hull Trains to Retford or Grantham, VTEC to Peterborough, then onto Network South East (or whatever it is called these days!).

Andyjs247

Transpennine express does this as well. Wonder if this would be the only pair of stations where customers wishing to make a direct journey would have the choice of FIVE operators.

No. You can do Manchester Piccadilly-Stockport on any of ATW, Northern, TPE, EMT, VTWC or XC.

Andyjs247

From Leeds, Cross-country to Wakefield Westgate, Northern to Kirkgate, Grand Central to Doncaster, Hull Trains to Retford or Grantham, VTEC to Peterborough, then onto Network South East (or whatever it is called these days!).

From Peterborough XC to Ely, GN to Cambridge, GA to Cheshunt, LO to Liverpool Street, TfL Rail to Stratford, then onto C2C or SE?

Intercity 225

No. You can do Manchester Piccadilly-Stockport on any of ATW, Northern, TPE, EMT, VTWC or XC.

Question for the original poster - are reverse journeys permitted as part of your rules? For example, if I wanted to tick off the six TOCs above by making three journeys between Manchester Piccadilly and Stockport in each direction would this be acceptable or prohibited?

trash80

Established Member
From Peterborough XC to Ely, GN to Cambridge, GA to Cheshunt, LO to Liverpool Street, TfL Rail to Stratford, then onto C2C or SE?

DLR to West Ham, C2C to Fenchurch St, walk or tube to Cannon St, SE to London Bridge (not actually possible at the moment i know) then Southern to Peckham Rye, SE to Victoria, SWT to Pompey then across on the ferry to Ryde and the Island Line. I think i've missed some TOCs out though?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
DLR to West Ham, C2C to Fenchurch St, walk or tube to Cannon St, SE to London Bridge (not actually possible at the moment i know) then Southern to Peckham Rye, SE to Victoria, SWT to Pompey then across on the ferry to Ryde and the Island Line. I think i've missed some TOCs out though?

Get in EMT as well by changing at March between Peterborough and Ely.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Examples:
  • Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Oxford Road is allowed as you can take a direct tram from one to the other.

No you can't.

Victoria to Deansgate and Victoria to Piccadilly are possible by direct tram.

Piccadilly to Oxford Rd and Piccadilly to Deansgate are possible by direct train. Although direct train journeys between Victoria and other central Manchester stations should be possible once the Ordsall Chord opens.

xotGD

Established Member
No you can't.

Victoria to Deansgate and Victoria to Piccadilly are possible by direct tram.

Piccadilly to Oxford Rd and Piccadilly to Deansgate are possible by direct train. Although direct train journeys between Victoria and other central Manchester stations should be possible once the Ordsall Chord opens.

There are already direct services between Piccadilly and Victoria with reversal at Salford Crescent - I did this last Friday night. (23:20 from the Airport)

miami

Established Member
I thought Yorkie had helpfully added a list of TOCS.

Here's the one from Wikipedia
Abellio Greater Anglia including Stansted Express
Abellio ScotRail
Arriva Trains Wales
c2c
Chiltern Railways
Caledonian Sleeper
CrossCountry
East Midlands Trains
Eurostar†
Govia Thameslink Railway including Thameslink and Great Northern
Grand Central†
Great Western Railway
Heathrow Express†
Hull Trains†
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail
Northern
Southern including Gatwick Express
Southeastern
South West Trains
TfL Rail
TransPennine Express
Virgin Trains East Coast
Virgin Trains (West Coast)

Assuming no walking and no double-backs is allowed:

Start at Dumbarton
Caledonian Sleeper to Dalmuir
Scotrail to Glasgow Central
TPE to Lockerbie
VTWC to Carlisle
Northern to Newcastle
XC to Durham
VTEC to Northallerton
Grand Central to York
Northern (again) to Selby
Hull Trains to Doncaster
Northern to Sheffield
EMT to Hunts Cross
Mersyrail to Liverpool South Parkway
LM to Wolverhampton
ATW to Smethwick Galton Bridge
Chiltern to Banbury
GWR to Reading
RailAir to Heathrow T5
Heathrow Express to Heathrow T123
Heathrow Connect to Ealing
London Underground to Shepherds Bush
London Overground to Olympia
Southern to Clapham Junction
SWT to Vauxhaull
Underground (Victoria) to Victoria
SET to Herne Hill
Thameslink to Elephant and Castle
London Underground (Northern) to Bank
DLR to Limehouse
C2C to West Ham
Underground (Jubilee) to Stratford
TFL Rail to Liverpool Street
Greater Anglia to Tottenham Hale
London Underground to Finsbury Park
Great Northern to Moorgate
London Underground to St Pancras
Eurostar to Calais

I think that's it (and a fair few subbrands too)

Status
Not open for further replies.