• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest-lived name a station has had

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I was thinking the other day about The Trafford Centre tram stop, which was called "intu Trafford Centre" for about 10 months. I think this makes it the shortest-lived name of a Metrolink tram stop. Firstly, am I correct about this, and secondly, what are the shortest-lived names on other systems, such as the national network, London Underground and so on?

For a name previously carried by a particular station to qualify for this thread, the station in question must have officially seen some passenger-carrying services under that name - stations renamed before opening to passengers (such as during the station's planning or construction) do not count, and nor do names accidentally carried by virtue of mistakes in signage, maps, publicity materials or computer systems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Tulloch station opened as "Inverlair" and was renamed less than four months later.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It’s not going to win, but Wembley Stadium was called Wembley Complex for nine years. During those years the Computerised Reservation System was set up on British Rail, hence Wembley Stadium now having WCX as it’s code.

ls2270

Established Member
City Thameslink was known as St. Paul’s Thameslink from its opening in May 1990 only until September 1991.

james73

Gilshochill on the Maryhill line opened in December 1993 as Lambhill before being renamed on 24 May 1998.

scrapy

Established Member
Buckshaw Parkway was to be called Buckshaw Village until shortly before its opening. Never actually opened with that name but retains the CRS code 'BSV' based on the original name.

roadierway77

Monument station on the London Underground originally opened as Eastcheap. It was renamed Monument 26 days later.

Ripley station, in Yorkshire, was renamed as 'Ripley Castle' on the 1st of March, 1875, and again renamed as 'Ripley Valley' on 1st April 1875 - 31 days.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Buckshaw Parkway was to be called Buckshaw Village until shortly before its opening. Never actually opened with that name but retains the CRS code 'BSV' based on the original name.
'BSP' station code was, of course, already in use for Brondesbury Park (station in North West London).

Rescars

Coulsdon North was named Coulsdon West between 9 July and 1 August 1923.
Likewise Coulsdon South was named Coulsdon East during the same period. The logic for designating stations East and West on a line which runs north to south is challenging to explain!

On a related topic, Dromore / Gatehouse-of-fleet station had its name changed frequently - neatly illustrating the point that it was in the middle of nowhere! All the dates and name combinations are on Wikipedia (not sure how to insert a link - sorry)

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Do we count the publicity/advertising renamings on the Underground, such as "Gareth Southgate"?

Djgr

Established Member
I was thinking the other day about The Trafford Centre tram stop, which was called "intu Trafford Centre" for about 10 months. I think this makes it the shortest-lived name of a Metrolink tram stop. Firstly, am I correct about this, and secondly, what are the shortest-lived names on other systems, such as the national network, London Underground and so on?

For a name previously carried by a particular station to qualify for this thread, the station in question must have officially seen some passenger-carrying services under that name - stations renamed before opening to passengers (such as during the station's planning or construction) do not count, and nor do names accidentally carried by virtue of mistakes in signage, maps, publicity materials or computer systems.
Renaming the Trafford Centre, the intu Trafford Centre, was probably the most crass example of vanity renaming I know.

Wonder who picked up the tab for altering all the signage when it tanked!

BS56

I seem to remember that Harlow town was called Burnt mill to start with but after a few weeks or less it was correctly given it's new name.

pdeaves

Established Member
not sure how to insert a link - sorry
If the tools are awkward to use, copy/paste the URL.

Regarding some of the very short term names, I an interested to know if those names were carried on signs or whether they were just 'paper' renamings. Therein lies a whole load of other debates over that actually constitutes an 'official' name!

JaJaWa

Established Member
James Cook University Hospital station became James Cook station a few days after opening and all the signs were changed (presumably people were turning up at the wrong place). CRS code is JCH.

Chelsea Harbour station was renamed to Imperial Wharf station before opening due to developer sponsorship. CRS code is IMW but TIPLOC code is CSEAH.

The upcoming Surrey Canal Road station was due to receive sponsorship to become New Bermondsey station but this has been dropped and it will now be known as Surrey Canal station.

Also upcoming is Brent Cross South station which became Brent Cross Thameslink station then Brent Cross Parkway station and is due to open as Brent Cross West station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I seem to remember that Harlow town was called Burnt mill to start with but after a few weeks or less it was correctly given it's new name.

When exactly did the station cease to be named as Burnt Mill?

Station was originally opened in 1842 and possibly wasn't changed to its present name until the early 1960s, which, if correct, would be slightly more than a few weeks!

Chelsea Harbour station was renamed to Imperial Wharf station before opening due to developer sponsorship. CRS code is IMW but TIPLOC code is CSEAH.

The upcoming Surrey Canal Road station was due to receive sponsorship to become New Bermondsey station but this has been dropped and it will now be known as Surrey Canal station.

Also upcoming is Brent Cross South station which became Brent Cross Thameslink station then Brent Cross Parkway station and is due to open as Brent Cross West station.
Aren't these latter three examples all of name changes prior to a station's opening, which the OP specifically excluded?

JaJaWa

Established Member
Aren't these latter three examples all of name changes prior to a station's opening, which the OP specifically excluded?
As are numerous other examples in the thread. Anyway I think James Cook University Hospital probably "wins" for the shortest-lived name on the National Rail network.

I will also add:
  • Shepherd's Bush (Central line) was going to become Shepherd's Bush Green and some signs were changed.
  • Instead with the London Overground opening at Shepherd's Bush that name was kept and Shepherd's Bush (Circle / H&C line) was changed to Shepherd's Bush Market.
  • At the London Overground station, the signs were originally installed in the Silverlink design but the platform was not wide enough, during the period of rebuilding the platform, London Overground begun and the signs had to be changed – with the Silverlink ones never seen by passengers (other than on trains passing through).

50010 Monarch

Wellington in Shropshire was renamed Wellington Telford West for a short time in the 1980's. Once Telford Central opened in May 1986 it was renamed back to Wellington.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As are numerous other examples in the thread. Anyway I think James Cook University Hospital probably "wins" for the shortest-lived name on the National Rail network.
For the avoidance of doubt, when exactly was James Cook University Hospital station officially re-named?

The ever reliable National Rail website still seems to refer to the station under its "old" name, as will be demonstrated if you click through on the above link.

Extract:

Station Services & Facilities​

James Cook University Hospital [JCH]​

James Cook University Hospital stat
[no road access]
TS4 3BW

Maybe someone should tell them! :rolleyes:

Magdalia

Established Member
When exactly did the station cease to be named as Burnt Mill?

Station was originally opened in 1842 and possibly wasn't changed to its present name until the early 1960s, which, if correct, would be slightly more than a few weeks!
Harlow Town first appears in the public timetable, instead of Burnt Mill, in summer 1960, which commenced 13/06/60.

But the official opening of the new station was a month later, on 13/07/60.

Established Member
Seem to recall about 20 years ago Harwich Parkeston Quay was briefly (for a year or two?) renamed Harwich International Port, before the Port bit was dropped to become Harwich International.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Harlow Town first appears in the public timetable, instead of Burnt Mill, in summer 1960, which commenced 13/06/60.

But the official opening of the new station was a month later, on 13/07/60.
I'm obliged. Does beg the question as to whether the 1960 station is completely new, or merely a rebuilt and then renamed station on the site of its 1842 predecessor.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
I'm obliged. Does beg the question as to whether the 1960 station is completely new, or merely a rebuilt abd then renamed station on the site of its 1842 predecessor.
Harlow Town is completely new in that the station was built "from scratch" with 4 platforms on 2 islands on a new site.

I have a small selection of relevant working timetables, including one that goes back to the Burnt Mill days. Burnt Mill was 22m53ch from Liverpool Street, and, after the station became Harlow Town, it stayed as 22m53ch for a while after. But, by 1974, Harlow Town was appearing as 22m59ch from Liverpool Street. The 22¾ milepost is opposite platform 4 just north of the footbridge.

Looking at old photos on the interweb, Burnt Mill was a staggered platform layout on 2 lines, and with the platforms after a central level crossing. Nearby, Roydon and Harlow Mill are also staggered platforms. I'm guessing that it would have been necessary to truncate the down platform, or build a temporary down platform opposite the up platform, to allow for the construction of the new Harlow Town station.

So, the key question is where did trains stop between 13 June 1960 and 13 July 1960? If they stopped at the old station until the official opening of the new station, was the old station renamed Harlow Town for that short period?

One further thought. Although it retained the same name, the new Broxbourne station, at 17m17ch from Liverpool Street, was also built "from scratch", and migrated further from its old location, which was 17m6ch from Liverpool Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.