• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: shortest possible journey that can be made on each TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christhebull

For GWR, another contender on the Severn Beach Line is Montpelier to Redland at 36ch - basically from one side of a viaduct to another. Redland to Clifton Down is only slightly longer at 37ch...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
LM has 45 chains between Wedgwood and Barlaston. Technically you can do it by train. It is just that the train is a bus! And takes a route longer than 45 chains!

imagination

For GWR, Drayton Green - Castle Bar Park must be a contender...

Another 37 chains.

For GWR's shortest we have:
Montpelier - Redland 36 chains
Exton - Lympstone Commando 36 chains
Drayton Green - Castle Bar Park 37 chains
Lelant - Lelant Saltings 37 chains
Devonport - Dockyard 37 chains
Falmouth Town - Falmouth Docks 37 chains
Exeter Central - St James' Park 38 chains

I think we need more precise measurements.

Strangely enough I think there's a jump after that to about 50 chains, so it's not as though there's that much all the way up.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Out of interest from which point of 2 adjacent stations are measurements generally made, is it platform end to platform end, the centre point of the platforms or something else? Also what if the platform are skewed or of significantly unequal length? Sincr a chain is roughly 1 carriage length it would make a difference in this thread.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Out of interest from which point of 2 adjacent stations are measurements generally made, is it platform end to platform end, the centre point of the platforms or something else? Also what if the platform are skewed or of significantly unequal length? Sincr a chain is roughly 1 carriage length it would make a difference in this thread.

I believe its the middle of the up platform-but I am happy to be corrected-that station distances are measured from, apart from terminus stations, which are the buffer stops.

So, with very long platforms, Exeter Central is a lot closer to St James if you measure nearest platform end to nearest platform end.

Smithy6750

One for ScotRail not sure if anyone's mentioned Possilpark & Parkhouse to Ashfield @ 30chains

Parallel

Established Member
Another 37 chains.

For GWR's shortest we have:
Montpelier - Redland 36 chains
Exton - Lympstone Commando 36 chains
Drayton Green - Castle Bar Park 37 chains
Lelant - Lelant Saltings 37 chains
Devonport - Dockyard 37 chains
Falmouth Town - Falmouth Docks 37 chains
Exeter Central - St James' Park 38 chains

I think we need more precise measurements.

Strangely enough I think there's a jump after that to about 50 chains, so it's not as though there's that much all the way up.

Avoncliff - Freshford must be up there too, some trains manage that stop at both do it in just over a minute if RT running on RTT is anything to go by!

Rich McLean

Established Member
Yes there are a few others that have a journey time of just one minute.

Angel Road to Northumberland Park
Devonport to Dockyard
Dockyard to Devonport
Dockyard to Keyham
Keyham to Dockyard
Newhaven Harbour to Newhaven Town
Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour
Northumberland Park to Angel Road

There are probably some others as well.

Dockyard to Keyham is 45 chains

Status
Not open for further replies.