• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Shortest Regular Service (Relative To Length Of Shortest Platforms It Serves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
How about 2B96 1040 Newport P4 - Cardiff Central P3.

I'm not sure what it's booked to be but it's certainly been a 153 on occasion.

kieron

Established Member
All three could take 10EPB in my day, so I would assume still at least 8?
The Sectional Appendix PDF I have doesn't give a length in m for Grove Park platform 1, but it says it can take 10 Mk 1 carriages or 8 466 ones. The rest of the branch can, too.

Personally, though, I'm fascinated by the idea of a rail service which takes 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of recovery time. Would 4 trains an hour be too much for the infrastructure?

Esker-pades

Established Member
The Sectional Appendix PDF I have doesn't give a length in m for Grove Park platform 1, but it says it can take 10 Mk 1 carriages or 8 466 ones. The rest of the branch can, too.

Personally, though, I'm fascinated by the idea of a rail service which takes 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of recovery time. Would 4 trains an hour be too much for the infrastructure?
There isn't the demand outside the peak.

Veteran Member

Not the infrastructure, the crew! The "recovery time" allows the driver to change ends (and maybe nip to the loo?). I read somewhere that the more intensive peak hour service is worked with a driver at each end - 2.5 minutes isn't acceptable as a turnround time even for a 2-car.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I would say that the 1136 Norwich to Great Yarmouth train might make the grade. I believe it is delibrately short because it goes via Reedham whereas most trains to Gt Yarmouth go via Acle.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I would say that the 1136 Norwich to Great Yarmouth train might make the grade. I believe it is delibrately short because it goes via Reedham whereas most trains to Gt Yarmouth go via Acle.
The shortest platform is Berney Arms on that one. Thus, it couldn't be much longer without Berney needing a platform extension.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
The shortest platform is Berney Arms on that one. Thus, it couldn't be much longer without Berney needing a platform extension.
You are right about Berney Arms but it doesn't mean that trains longer than one carriage can't call there. When trains longer than one carriage do call at Berney Arms, the guard just uses SDO to open a local door.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
How long are the platforms at Stourbridge Town and Junction Stations?

Stourbridge Town could, theoretically, take a doubled up class 139, whereas Stourbridge Junction has enough length to fit a chiltern loco hauled (although half of the Town platform at SBJ is not in use for passengers)

Status
Not open for further replies.