• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station dwells long enough to allow enough time to explore the settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

The “Train des Merveilles” between Nice and Tende has a timetabled wait of approximately 15 minutes at Breil-sur-Roya, where you were encouraged to either get a coffee at a nicely-located stand, or pop into the supermarket!

I chose the latter :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The “Train des Merveilles” between Nice and Tende has a timetabled wait of approximately 15 minutes at Breil-sur-Roya, where you were encouraged to either get a coffee at a nicely-located stand, or pop into the supermarket!

I chose the latter :D
You've reminded me that I took a train from St Gervais-Les-Bains to Vallorcine last year with a 15 minute dwell at Chamonix-Mont Blanc.

Incidentally, that's the perfect amount of time to hop off, take a few photos of the town (and the beautiful backdrop) and retreat back to the warmth of the train.

U-Bahnfreund

The hourly RB87 service Göttingen-Bebra stops 30 mins at Eschwege most of the time (timetable). It's a bit far to the city centre, but if you have a bike you could try to see the old town, or otherwise head for the nearest Döner

sheff1

Established Member
Many moons ago travelling in Pakistan the longer distance trains would often make extended stops at stations. Many passengers took the opportunity to go for a wander - no need to go far looking for food or drink though as an army of local vendors would be waiting at the station. A long blast on the horn would signify (I think) 5 mins to departure, with another blast shortly before the wheels began to move - departure was slow enough to allow stragglers to board whilst the train was in motion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.