• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: station which has the lowest percentage of passing trains stop there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
There are quite a few places where 100% of all passenger trains passing through will stop, which station has the lowest? I know there are stations which get hardly any trains a day but don't these tend to be tucked away on low trafficked lines? What places on busy lines have the fewest calls? I'll open the bidding with Bordesley which must have 16-18 trains an hour passing through it all day every day yet only gets one booked train call in each direction every week. That's a fraction of one percent by my mental arithmetic (which isn't the best, I'll admit) and seems to be a strong candidate, but are there other stations tucked away on busier bits of railway than the Snow Hill lines? Polesworth has to be another I guess, but I'm not sure that stretch of the WCML gets more trains per hour...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Pilning. Most of the day it has two HST's an hour in each direction, and two units in each direction, but only one train a week stops there!

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think Ardwick has about 10tph in each direction, although it has a slightly better service than Bordesley.

thenorthern

Established Member
What about Polesworth 7 trains per hour passing as well as the sleeper and only 1 train per day stops.

kevconnor

Would Manchester United Halt be in with a shout, i think it gets 4-6 trains per match. With eighteen league home games per season and an average* of eight cup home games plus the Rugby Super League Final means it may get on average between 108- 162 services per year, or the equivalent of 2-3 (rounded) trains per week. when i think something like 4 trains per hours pass through the station for most of the day.

* According to Manchester United season ticket info

Depending how you define the confines of the station could Stone also be in, it has one train per hours but it depends which lines of the WCML you would count as passing the station proper.

oversteer

The Sudburys must be in with a shout!
e: Sudbury and Harrow Road. 4 each way per day.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Man Utd Halt is a good shout.

It won't be Chathill - if nothing else, it has 1 more every day than Widdrington, Acklington and Pegswood!

Tees-side Airport has 2 a week out of c.380 trains (if you can be bothered counting precisely, you're a better person than I).

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Pevensey Bay.
3 trains an hour each way. 2 stop in the morning, a couple in the pm.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Angel Road: 10 train per hour off peak most of the day each way. For most of the day, no service. 11 trains PER DAY each way stop.

tsr

Established Member
Salfords is pretty poor in terms of frequency vs general BML traffic during the weekends and off-peak during weekdays, with no service at all on winter Sundays at present, although that should hopefully change within the next couple of years.

Services during the heights of the weekday peaks are usually pretty good (towards London in the morning/away from London in the evening), though.

Another one with a low frequency of service, but also only about 4-5tph in each direction passing through, is the much-overlooked Faygate, which only has a very limited service during weekday peak times and lunchtimes. There are a few minor rumours of more stops being made.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Its been closed completely for a few years now but in the 1990's. Godley East had one train a week in one direction - and trains only stopped by request.

On the one occasion I did this station, I remember asking the driver at Glossop whether he was going to stop at Godley East and he said "no" as the station was closed. However the guard corrected him after I had produced my timetable leaflet with the apposite footnote.

I wonder how many time a year the train did actually stop?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I know it doesn't beat others already mentioned...
But my local station New Clee in Grimsby has hourly TPE trains passing aswell as passing EMT at night.
It is a request stop which can only be used in daylight hours as the station has no lights. So the possible 2 hourly service only serves it half the time.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I was going to nominate Willington (south of Derby) until I realised Peartree not only has all the passing trains Willington does, but also the EM Crewe services, and even less stoppers.

Yesterday (according to RTT) Peartree saw 5 trains stop there and 149 pass (one Voyager was cancelled) making for 154 total trains. Ergo, Peartree only has 3.2% of all passing trains which stop there.

I know it doesn't beat others already mentioned...
But my local station New Clee in Grimsby has hourly TPE trains passing aswell as passing EMT at night.
It is a request stop which can only be used in daylight hours as the station has no lights. So the possible 2 hourly service only serves it half the time.

Northern are looking at popping some lights on the station, or an improvement to the NELC streetlighting which is bang outside the platform area.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Northern are looking at popping some lights on the station, or an improvement to the NELC streetlighting which is bang outside the platform area.

Thanks, I never knew about this plan. The station is needed more at night as buses to Barton and Hull stop quite early. And often football matches at the nearby stadium are late in the evening.

MotCO

Established Member
Clapham Junction P8/9 during the peaks...

;)

Does Queenstown Road Battersea count?

In a similar vein, what about St Johns, near New Cross. All the main line trains go past, but seemingly few local services stop there.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In a similar vein, what about St Johns, near New Cross. All the main line trains go past, but seemingly few local services stop there.

it's got an off-peak service of 16 trains per hour

Frothy

Definitely Polesworth. Or possibly Norton Bridge, if 0% is an acceptable percentage.

Edit: 0.3% (5 of 1387) of weekly trains stop at Polesworth

Last edited:

TheLastMinute

Definitely Polesworth. Or possibly Norton Bridge, if 0% is an acceptable percentage.

Edit: 0.3% (5 of 1387) of weekly trains stop at Polesworth
As Flamingo said first, I still think Pilning wins. Out of 794* passengers trains passing each week, only 2 call giving a rate of 0.25% (Polesworth is 0.36%).

(Assuming Monday to Friday has the same number of passenger trains each day)

londonbridge

Established Member
Would Manchester United Halt be in with a shout, i think it gets 4-6 trains per match. With eighteen league home games per season and an average* of eight cup home games plus the Rugby Super League Final means it may get on average between 108- 162 services per year, or the equivalent of 2-3 (rounded) trains per week. when i think something like 4 trains per hours pass through the station for most of the day.

* According to Manchester United season ticket info

Nineteen actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.