• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - stationless towns with the nearest station in a different county

A S Leib

How many towns without railway stations are there where the nearest railway station is in another county (I know more or less everybody will be using a different definition of county; I'll be using lord lieutenacy areas).

Two examples are Leigh (Newton-le-Willows is closest) and Long Sutton (King's Lynn is 17 km, Spalding is 21 km).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
In the above case, I don't know what county Long Sutton is in.

An example I noticed is Haverhill, Suffolk with nearest station Dullingham, Cambridgeshire.

scrapy

Established Member
How many towns without railway stations are there where the nearest railway station is in another county (I know more or less everybody will be using a different definition of county; I'll be using lord lieutenacy areas).

Two examples are Leigh (Newton-le-Willows is closest) and Long Sutton (King's Lynn is 17 km, Spalding is 21 km).
The nearest station to Leigh is Hag Fold, just over 3 miles away and in the same county. Newton le Willows is nearly 9 miles away.

A S Leib

The nearest station to Leigh is Hag Fold, just over 3 miles away and in the same county. Newton le Willows is nearly 9 miles away.
A lesson in checking what others say.
So, this is a Greater Manchester town whose nearest station is in Merseyside.

Are there many other towns in 1 county whose nearest station is in another? An example is Haverhill, Suffolk whose nearest station is Dullingham, Cambridgeshire.
(https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...t-railway-stations.258023/page-3#post-6515529)

Gloster

Established Member
Bude. As the crow flies I think that Okehampton is slightly closer than Gunnislake or Liskeard.

Lyme Regis. Axminster is nearest.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The nearest station to Knighton is in a different country, despite being named Knighton and effectively serving the town. So not quite the same, but a definite curiosity.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
The small town of Biddulph (Staffordshire) has it's nearest station in Congleton (Cheshire).

I did think Leek (Staffordshire) may be a contender with Macclesfield (Cheshire) and Buxton (Derbyshire), but upon checking both are 13 miles away, whereas Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire) is 11 miles away. Google maps does suggest that Buxton would be the nearest station time wise, if driving, beating Macc and Stoke by a couple of minutes.

The exile

Established Member
Until the Levenmouth line reopens, I suspect the nearest station to some of the coastal towns in the East Neuk of Fife may well be North Berwick. Not that it helps them much…

A S Leib

Until the Levenmouth line reopens, I suspect the nearest station to some of the coastal towns in the East Neuk of Fife may well be North Berwick. Not that it helps them much…
Similarly Rhoose Cardiff International Airport is over 10 km closer than any non-heritage railway station in Somerset (or Devon) to Minehead. Port Ellen is 56 km from Portrush but over 80 km from any Scottish station as far as I can tell.

A S Leib

Biggin Hill's nearest station is Oxted (Surrey), but New Addington tram stop is closer.
Denham is 3 km from Harefield and Rickmansworth is 4.2 km; West Ruislip is 4.8 km (Northwood is closer than Rickmansworth but further than Denham, even if you count the Tube).
Richmond (Yorks) is 18 km from Darlington and 20 km from Northallerton.
Consett is 13 km from Prudhoe and Wylam but 15 km from Chester-le-Street.

Recessio

Felbridge in Surrey, the nearest station is East Grinstead in West Sussex (though the two towns are contiguous).

By the same token, Forest Row in East Sussex now also has East Grinstead as its closest station, after the closure of Forest Row station in the Beeching cuts.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Midhurst (West Sussex) I believe would be either Haslemere (Surrey) or Liphook (Hampshire).

A S Leib

Portishead's nearest is Avonmouth (or possibly the one before or after, but definitely in Bristol).

Is there anywhere in Sheffield closer to a station in Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire than Sheffield, Dore & Totley or the Kiveton stations?

Metal_gee_man

one of the largest towns with no rail service (hence a new attempt to re-instate) is Wisbech (Cambs) but the closest station is either Kings Lynn or Downham Market (both Norfolk)

Bartsimho

Eastwood and Giltbrook (Nottinghamshire) closest station is Langley Mill (Derbyshire) It very much helps that the Erewash is big enough to have separated towns a small distance from either bank while being the County Border.
Kegworth(Leicestershire) with East Midlands Parkway (Nottinghamshire)
Castle Donnington (Leicestershire) with Long Eaton (Derbyshire)
Swadlincote (Derbyshire) and Ashby-de-la-Zouch (Leicestershire) with Burton-On-Trent (Staffordshire)
Tutbury (Staffs) with the station which half bears its name Tutbury and Hatton (Derbyshire) as each town is in a different county.

Magdalia

Established Member
one of the largest towns with no rail service (hence a new attempt to re-instate) is Wisbech (Cambs) but the closest station is either Kings Lynn or Downham Market (both Norfolk)
Wisbech's nearest station is March. Both are in Cambridgeshire.

Metal_gee_man

Yep, 11 miles for King's Lynn, 9.8 miles for Downham Market and 7.8 to March.
Yep been technically shown up, but the fact that half of Wisbech actual falls into Norfolk which still makes it March in another county lol

I know if I needed to get to London I wouldn’t be heading for March

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38