• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - stationless towns with the nearest station in a different county

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grecian 1998

Beaminster (Dorset) appears closer to Crewkerne (Somerset) than either Maiden Newton or Chetnole.

Chard (Somerset) appears to be slightly closer to Axminster (Devon) than to Crewkerne.

Stalbridge and Sturminster Newton seem to be closer to Templecombe (Somerset) than Gillingham (Dorset).

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
How many towns without railway stations are there where the nearest railway station is in another county (I know more or less everybody will be using a different definition of county; I'll be using lord lieutenacy areas).

Two examples are Leigh (Newton-le-Willows is closest)
Hag Fold and Atherton are (measuring from the Bus Station) 2.8 miles away from Leigh, Newton-le-Willows is 4.9 miles.

Or if using the borders shown on google maps,
Leigh - Newton-le-Willows is 3.12 miles
Leigh - Daisy Hill is 0.9 miles

Edit: I should have probably read that that was already covered in the thread first.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The nearest station to Knighton is in a different country, despite being named Knighton and effectively serving the town. So not quite the same, but a definite curiosity.
And one that caused particular issues during Covid restrictions, when Wales had travel restrictions but England didn't.

BeijingDave

Saltney. A town of 5,452 in Wales (Flintshire). One could argue it is merely a suburb of Chester nowadays. However, it is considered a town in itself, and "The local government of Saltney lies entirely in Wales" (according to Wikipedia).

Chester, in England, is its closest station.

MadMarsupial

Cambeltown is in Argyle and Bute but the nearest scottish station is Girvan ( 33 miles as the crow flies ) in South Ayrshire

A S Leib

Is it true that the nearest station to Lerwick in Shetland is Bergen in Norway?
At a massive stretch of what counts as a town - as far as I know, whether or not it's physically inhabitable to begin with would affect the UK's EEZ borders - Rockall's nearest stations are Mallaig (476 km), Kyle of Lochalsh (478 km), Derry~Londonderry (488 km) and Sligo (492 km) (with a few other West Highland and Lochalsh line stations slightly closer than Waterside and Sligo).

From Skaw (further north in Shetland) Thurso is still 46 km closer than Bergen.

Sean Emmett

Yep, using google earth, Lerwick to Bergen is 360 km, 221km to both Wick and Thurso.

From Skaw on the NE corner of Unst it's 339 km to Bergen and 296 km to Wick, 293 km to Thurso.

Close, but not close enough!

Also no direct ferry from Lerwick to Norway at the mo.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The nearest station to Lutterworth (Leicestershire) would be Rugby (Warwickshire) at about six miles. The nearest station in the county of Leicestershire would be Hinckley at about ten miles.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Does Biggin Hill count? It's in Greater London and the closest rail station as the crow flies is Woldingham, Surrey around 3.8mi away. But New Addington tramlink is closer (2.8mi).

A S Leib

Does Biggin Hill count? It's in Greater London and the closest rail station as the crow flies is Woldingham, Surrey around 3.8mi away. But New Addington tramlink is closer (2.8mi).
Mentioned in Post 17, although I thought Oxted was the closest mainline station and didn't notice Woldingham.

King Lazy

Regarding the Leigh discussion. Within the Leigh parliamentary constituency nearby Golborne, Greater Manchester should fit the bill. It has no station (anymore) despite the WCML passing through. The nearest station is Newton le Willows in Merseyside.

fkofilee

Does Tenterden count as a town? If so - Rye appears to be a closer journey by car than Ashford international... However I know which station I would prefer!

davyp

Beaumaris, Anglesey, closest station is Bangor (Caernarvonshire). Menai Bridge is also on the Island of Anglesey and has no station - nearest on Anglesey is LlanfairPG.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Beaumaris, Anglesey, closest station is Bangor (Caernarvonshire). Menai Bridge is also on the Island of Anglesey and has no station - nearest on Anglesey is LlanfairPG.
Bangor - Gwynedd , Caernarvonshire is long since gone.

davyp

Many thanks for that Y Draig Coch, I appreciate the update!
Can't keep up with the English counties, although a regular visitor to Anglesey.