• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - stationless towns with the nearest station in a different county

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Millisle

Peebles (Peeblesshire) > Stow (Midlothian);
Kinross (Kinross-shire) > Lochgelly (Fife).
These were the administrative counties when Peebles and Kinross closed and remain in legal existence as registration counties; the current council areas would be anachronistic.

MadMac

Peebles (Peeblesshire) > Stow (Midlothian);
Kinross (Kinross-shire) > Lochgelly (Fife).
These were the administrative counties when Peebles and Kinross closed and remain in legal existence as registration counties; the current council areas would be anachronistic.
Similarly, Hawick (Roxburghshire) to Tweedbank (Selkirkshire).

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Thame in Oxfordshire is closest to Haddenham and Thame Parkway in Buckinghamshire.
Kirkby Lonsdale is closest to Wennington in Lancs.

SparkieLover

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:
For Waltham Abbey (Essex) it's Waltham Cross (Hertfordshire). The station was once called Waltham Cross & Abbey.
Nazeing (Essex) -> Broxbourne (Herts)
Stanwell Moor (Surrey) -> Heathrow T5 (Greater London)

Biggin Hill's nearest station is Oxted (Surrey), but New Addington tram stop is closer.
Westerham (Kent) nearest station is Oxted (Surrey)

Denham is 3 km from Harefield and Rickmansworth is 4.2 km; West Ruislip is 4.8 km (Northwood is closer than Rickmansworth but further than Denham, even if you count the Tube).
I guess you're referring to Harefield (Greater London) whose nearest stations are Denham (Bucks) and Rickmansworth (Herts)

Millisle

Similarly, Hawick (Roxburghshire) to Tweedbank (Selkirkshire).
This is an interesting one. When the line reopened I wondered whether Tweedbank restored the railway to Roxburghshire as well as Selkirkshire. I knew it had to be close, as Melrose is in the former and Gala in the latter. The answer when I looked into it is that it lies in the parish of Melrose and is thus in Roxburghshire. The west end of Redbridge (Galafoot) viaduct is in the parish of Galashiels in Selkirkshire and, the river at that point marking the county march, the east end in Roxburghshire. Hawick regrettably suffers a kind of VAR disqualification.:lol:

A S Leib

Banbury (Oxon) seems to be the railhead for Brackley (Northants)
I suspect that because it has a much better service (XC, fast Chiltern) the majority of railheaders would use Banbury, but it's 13 km against 9.5 km for Kings Sutton, which is in Northamptonshire by a margin of below 150 metres.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I suspect that because it has a much better service (XC, fast Chiltern) the majority of railheaders would use Banbury, but it's 13 km against 9.5 km for Kings Sutton, which is in Northamptonshire by a margin of below 150 metres.
I reckon some would opt for Bicester North if heading towards London, as driving time is slightly better and Bicester is 10-15 quicker closer to Marylebone. Heading on public transport seems to be better south for Bicester too.
Northbound Banbury/Northampton make sense.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Newry is mostly in Co Down but Newry station is in Co Armagh.

Co Tyrone and Fermanagh have no stations so all their towns count. The nearest station to Eniskillen is Sligo.

LUYMun

I'm surprised nobody has said Bordon yet, a town in Hampshire that used to have a branch line from Bentley, but the nearest station for residents these days is at Farnham in Surrey.

Gloster

Established Member
I'm surprised nobody has said Bordon yet, a town in Hampshire that used to have a branch line from Bentley, but the nearest station for residents these days is at Farnham in Surrey.

I would have thought that Alton was nearer.

Recessio

Knockholt in Kent, the closest station (also called Knockholt!) is 2 miles away, just inside Greater London.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Wivelsfield (East Sussex) whose station is actually in Burgess Hill (prominently West Sussex)? :p

1.2 miles

Screenshot_20231207-013046~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207-013115~2.png
    Screenshot_20231207-013115~2.png
    547.1 KB · Views: 6

BrummieBobby

Using "traditional" county boundaries, Dudley qualifies for this category; the nearest station to Dudley town centre (Historically part of Worcestershire) is Tipton, which is historically at the southern tip of Staffordshire.

stadler

The nearest stations to Alderney and Guernsey and Jersey are in France rather than mainland UK.

imagination

The town centre of Tadley in Hampshire is marginally closer to Bramley, Hants, but the most of the town is closer to Aldermaston and Midgham, both in Berkshire.

A S Leib

The town centre of Tadley in Hampshire is marginally closer to Bramley, Hants, but the most of the town is closer to Aldermaston and Midgham, both in Berkshire.
Which seems fitting for the Berks and Hants line when none of the line itself is in Hampshire.

D6975

Established Member
The nearest stations to Alderney and Guernsey and Jersey are in France rather than mainland UK.
Are there not any stations on Alderney any more? There were two, one called Braye Road and one called Mannez Quarry.

stadler

Are there not any stations on Alderney any more? There were two, one called Braye Road and one called Mannez Quarry.
Yes these still exist. But these are on a heritage railway rather than being proper mainline railway stations used as public transport. France has the nearest ordinary railway stations.

izvor

Tenbury Wells (Worcs) is an odd one too, nearest station now Ludlow (Shropshire) followed by Leominster (Herefordshire). No longer any regular bus services to either railhead though! Both Worcester and Kidderminster are much more distant, though there are infrequent buses to both.

And when it did have a rail station, it was over the river in Shropshire (c.f. Coldstream above).

Linton in Cambridgeshire, nearest station is in Essex (Great Chesterford)
Linton was on the same line as Haverhill, mentioned earlier.

1706117146517.png

paul1609

Established Member
Does Tenterden count as a town? If so - Rye appears to be a closer journey by car than Ashford international... However I know which station I would prefer!
Tenterden is indeed a town complete with a town hall and (heritage) railway station from where it will shortly be possible to travel on to the national network by changing at Robertsbridge. Its closest national rail station by some way is Appledore (Kent) even though its the limit fo the Rye Plusbus area.

Caxctus

Youve also got Longtown which is Is 8.4 miles to Carlisle but only 3.8 to Gretna green in a different country.I dont think anyone had mentioned Longtown but i might have skimmed over it