• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations Becoming Request Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Apparently from the December timetable change, Bures on the Sudbury branch is to become a request stop (e.g.). M-F services until 0940 will not be request stops but after this they will be.

I am aware of many examples of stations which have been 'de-requested' in recent memory, including stations on the mid-cheshire line, Manea and Huncoat, but I am not aware of stations becoming request stops. Anybody know any?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Menheniot. Can't remember when it changed, but I can remember it changing. Probably some time in the last 10 years.

Perranwell on the Falmouth Branch Line became a request stop when the Penryn Loop was finished and half hourly service provided on the line.

*Update* Further investigations reveal they both became request stops at the May 2009 timetable change.

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
A few stations on the East Lancashire Line became request stops a couple of years back. The train still stops invariably during daylight hours so I don't see the point in all honesty.

HLE

Established Member
Brundall Gardens did last year if I remember correctly.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Menheniot. Can't remember when it changed, but I can remember it changing. Probably some time in the last 10 years.

Perranwell on the Falmouth Branch Line became a request stop when the Penryn Loop was finished and half hourly service provided on the line.

*Update* Further investigations reveal they both became request stops at the May 2009 timetable change.

And Perranwell ceases to be a request stop in January!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
On another part of (former) Great Western Railway metals, I remember The Lakes, Wood End, Danzey, and the sexy and exotic sounding Wootton Wawen were regular calls circa 1988-89.

At some point during the 1990s, these changed to request stops 9maybe the same time when Bordesley was reduced to a couple of trains daily with additional calls when the dirty Bluenoses were at home).

dk1

Veteran Member
Brundall Gardens did last year if I remember correctly.

That's was only for leaf fall. Roughton Road was also included in this ridiculous idea & was on the whole totally ignored by traincrews.

Haddiscoe briefly became 'request' in the late 90s, last one in these parts was Brampton (Suffolk) which became request when the hourly service was introduced a few years ago.

Parallel

Established Member
And Perranwell ceases to be a request stop in January!
Hmmm, interesting. Is there any reason for this? Perranwell isn't a particularly busy request stop station, and there's no signal at the end of the platform.
--
Yeoford on the Tarka Line became a request stop some point between 2006 - 2012 I believe.

HLE

Established Member
That's was only for leaf fall. Roughton Road was also included in this ridiculous idea & was on the whole totally ignored by traincrews.

Haddiscoe briefly became 'request' in the late 90s, last one in these parts was Brampton (Suffolk) which became request when the hourly service was introduced a few years ago.

Did seem a strange concept, getting going again from 10mph can’t have been much easier than from a stop. Trees either side of the line between there and just before brundall if remember right.

On the whole last year wasn’t too bad for leaf fall over this way, certainly when compared to this year anyway.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don't think Entwistle has always been a request stop (but it's quite a number of years since it wasn't)

dk1

Veteran Member
Did seem a strange concept, getting going again from 10mph can’t have been much easier than from a stop. Trees either side of the line between there and just before brundall if remember right.

On the whole last year wasn’t too bad for leaf fall over this way, certainly when compared to this year anyway.

Not replicated this year thanks to common sense prevailing & on that subject, request speed has been doubled to 20mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.