• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations from which one can depart on a direct train in opposite directions to the same town/city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
I the past there have been Leeds - Lancaster via Preston trains. So you could leave Lancaster either way. I think they may have started at Carnforth at one point so Carnforth gets a tick too.

IceBlue

I’ve done Derby-Sheffield in both directions. During the remodel the trains went via long Eaton way. Very unnerving the first time I thought I’d got on the wrong train!

Fairly uniquely (for a line that isn't normally run as a loop like Man Vic-Blackburn), this can be done from both ways at Derby (via Duffield and via Toton) and at Sheffield (via Dronfield and via Barrow Hill). Of course, both relying on engineering work/occasional route retention services.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield to Sheffield. The regular hourly Northern via Penistone departing to the South, and occasional diverted TPE services via Wakefield Kirkgate departing to the North/East. Also occasional footex services by Northern via Wakefield.

Brighouse to Leeds..?
You can only go direct via Bradford on Sundays and the first/last trains IIRC.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
If were talking stations as a whole, SPT Subway since it has the Inner Circle and Outer Circle.

There's a lot of stations on the old SPT train routes in and around Glasgow as well.

D365

Veteran Member
Fairly uniquely (for a line that isn't normally run as a loop like Man Vic-Blackburn), this can be done from both ways at Derby (via Duffield and via Toton) and at Sheffield (via Dronfield and via Barrow Hill). Of course, both relying on engineering work/occasional route retention services.
Unless my memory fails me, I did Sheffield, Barrow Hill, Chesterfield, Toton, Derby on a weekend CrossCountry!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Wigan North Western / Wallgate to Manchester Victoria. One route is via Bolton & Westhoughton, the other via Atherton & Walkden.

CJ

snowball

Established Member
Wigan North Western / Wallgate to Manchester Victoria. One route is via Bolton & Westhoughton, the other via Atherton & Walkden.

CJ
Not within my understanding of the thread title - both involve starting out south-eastward from Wigan and going through Ince and Hindley.

Last edited:

Purple Train

Established Member
If were talking stations as a whole, SPT Subway since it has the Inner Circle and Outer Circle.

There's a lot of stations on the old SPT train routes in and around Glasgow as well.
Glasgow Subway doesn't count, as it's operated as a continuous circle. Neither does Cathcart Circle as it's a continuous loop.

DanNCL

Established Member
St Pancras - Gravesend. You can depart St Pancras to the north east on a HS1 service, or you can depart to the south on a Thameslink service.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have we had Salford Central / Salford Crescent -> Blackburn? (Or vice-versa).

Via Rochdale or via Bolton.

A S Leib

Cardiff Central towards Radyr

Lincoln Central towards Peterborough (SW LNER via Grantham / SE EMR via Spalding); has there ever been a Sleaford - Grantham - Peterborough service?

Birmingham New Street towards Hamstead / Walsall

Swansea towards Craven Arms / Shrewsbury

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood, however all the stations on the Richmond / Kingston loop?
The OP ruled out services that run round a loop.

Redbridge to Southampton Central. Via Romsey and Eastleigh or direct.
There is no through service from Redbridge to Southampton via Romsey and Eastleigh. You can leave any station between Redbridge and Chandlers Ford either way to get to Romsey, but that‘s effectively an ordinary loop to/from Romsey that appears to have been ruled out.

xotGD

Established Member
Leeds to King's Cross.

St Pancras to Gravesend (using Thameslink or Javelin).

Back in the day of 1S15 Carlisle to Edinburgh via Newcastle, Carlisle to Edinburgh.

davidknibb

Birmingham NS to Walsall. Leave south via Aston - or north via Soho Junction - not sure if there are any timetabled trains at the moment via Soho.

duncanp

Established Member
Birmingham New Street to Edinburgh.

The Avanti service goes Northwards via Wolverhampton, Stafford and the West Coast Main Line.

The Cross Country service departs in the opposite directions and goes via Derby, Sheffield and the East Coast Main Line.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Correction, not Southampton Airport (Parkway), just Eastleigh, and the peak Southern services via Hedge End
I still don’t see this one. There are only 3 Southern trains at Eastleigh on a weekday, one is an ECS Littlehampton to Southampton. The other two are from Southampton and go to Brighton via Fareham and Havant.

There are no other trains from Eastleigh that go to in a different direction to those destinations, did you maybe think they went to London?

Status
Not open for further replies.