• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA Stations on Electrified lines which are not served by electric trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnsley

Mods feel free to delete if this has been done before

During a trip to Newcastle today, I noticed that Manors, Cramlington, Pegswood, Widdrington, Acklington and Chathill are only served by diesel units, despite being on electrified routes
Are there any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Most examples are now no longer valid as a result of the recent introduction of electro-diesel trains e.g. Thirsk, Moses Gate/Kearsley/Farnworth, Needham Market. Others have more recently been converted e.g. Leyland, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Newton-le-Willows. Longport, Ardwick and Fairfield have only one electric service each per day.

InOban

Established Member
Brunstane and Newcraighall on the Borders railway. The wires lead to Millerhill Depot.

D365

Veteran Member
Most examples are now no longer valid as a result of the recent introduction of electro-diesel trains e.g. Thirsk, Moses Gate/Kearsley/Farnworth, Needham Market. Others have more recently been converted e.g. Leyland, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Newton-le-Willows. Longport, Ardwick and Fairfield have only one electric service each per day.
On a similar note; South Tottenham, until the GOBLIN electrification.

sdrennan

The wires from Dumbreck have run to Paisley Canal after it was electrified a few years ago

Veteran Member
Millbrook (Hants) - and Redbridge has only a couple, both SX towards Bournemouth.

steamybrian

Established Member
Woodgrange Park in East London.
Although trains between Liverpool Street- Southend and Shoeburyness via Barking pass through it they do not stop.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Unless things have changed then
West Allerton & Mossley Hill (between Liverpool Lime Street & Liverpool Scouse Parkway, only served by the diesels heading towards Warrington Central & beyond)

@steamybrian Woodgrange Park is served by 4 electric trains an hour since the Gospel Oak - Barking line got wired up and EMUs replaced the DMUs

@Starmill
I believe Thirsk only sees a handful of electric trains calling to/from Newcastle, bulk of TPE calls comes from the Redcar/Middlesbrough services which are the 185s so comes under the "limited served by electric" category

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Thirsk remains only served by DMUs on Sundays. The rest of the week the only electric train to stop is a single Northbound 802 in the evening.

Widdrington is an odd one, as although 802s are planned to start making calls there next year, TPE aren’t permitted to use the wires north of Morpeth, so the station will still only be served by trains running on diesel despite being under the wires and half of the trains there having pantographs!

If individual electrified platforms count, then platforms 9-12 at Newcastle and platforms 5-8 at Carlisle can all be added, as can platform 8 at York.

Snow1964

Established Member
Ore was electrified in mid 1930s when line from Lewes and Eastbourne was electrified to reach carriage shed, but service remained steam, then diesel

Branksome was electrified in 1967 (for access to Bournemouth West depot), and had diesel trains for 21 years until line to Weymouth was electrified.

TXMISTA

Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction
Edit: an IET operates a Taunton-Cardiff diagram on a Saturday but other than that STJ is served entirely by diesels

steamybrian

Established Member
Ore was electrified in mid 1930s when line from Lewes and Eastbourne was electrified to reach carriage shed, but service remained steam, then diesel

Branksome was electrified in 1967 (for access to Bournemouth West depot), and had diesel trains for 21 years until line to Weymouth was electrified.
Since the mid 1930s Ore was served by a regular service of electric passenger trains from both Brighton and Victoria.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As mentioned above Widdrington and Cramlington will soon disappear from the list.

Ulleskelf will however shortly join the list!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Millbrook (Hants) - and Redbridge has only a couple, both SX towards Bournemouth.
I was going to go with those two stations as well as Swaythling, however it appears there’s more electrics trains than I’d expected calling there.

DanNCL

Established Member
Is Salwick still only served by Blackpool South services? If so then that would count.

As mentioned above Widdrington and Cramlington will soon disappear from the list.
Widdrington is an odd one, as though it will be served by bi-mode trains, those bi-mode trains will be running on diesel on that part of the journey!

I think this will make Widdrington the only electrified station only served by diesel trains, where half of those diesel trains are in fact bi-modes capable of running on the wires but are not actually doing so!

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Between the introduction of Heathrow Express and the advent of Heathrow Connect Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Hanwell, Southall and Hayes & Harlington fell into this category. Even then Acton Mainline remained on the list until the Elizabeth Line 345s started calling.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I think this will make Widdrington the only electrified station only served by diesel trains, where half of those diesel trains are in fact bi-modes capable of running on the wires but are not actually doing so!
Leeds falls into a similar category as most of the bi-mode 802s that pass through the station don’t raise their pantograph for the short electrified section between Holbeck Jn & Neville Hill West Jn.

Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth & Moses Gate fall into the category of limited electric use due to the lack of 769s working Southport to Stalybridge services and the absence of 769 Sunday working, although thanks to the poor availability of 769s there have been weekdays and Saturdays in which no 769s call at these stations. Before the May timetable change there were no electric services at all at these stations.

DanNCL

Established Member
Leeds falls into a similar category as most of the bi-mode 802s that pass through the station don’t raise their pantograph for the short electrified section between Holbeck Jn & Neville Hill West Jn.
The situation in Leeds is a bit different as though the 802s there are running on diesel, there are other trains running on electric serving the station, which won't be the case at Widdrington!

plugwash

Established Member
Speaking of former cases I recall for a while a few years back the hazel grove line was operated mostly if not entirely by diesel, after the prior buxton to blackpool and hazel grove to manchester services were replaced by buxton to manchester and hazel grove to preston services. I think this may lasted until the line to preston via bolton was electrfied.

When this first started there was one electric train a day "to clean the wires", but IIRC even that dissapeard later. I'm not sure what happened on weekends.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Speaking of former cases I recall for a while a few years back the hazel grove line was operated mostly if not entirely by diesel, after the prior buxton to blackpool and hazel grove to manchester services were replaced by buxton to manchester and hazel grove to preston services. I think this may lasted until the line to preston via bolton was electrfied.

When this first started there was one electric train a day "to clean the wires", but IIRC even that dissapeard later. I'm not sure what happened on weekends.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this situation going to come back thanks to the MRTF diverting the Blackpool to Hazel Grove services to Manchester Airport, with Hazel Grove, Davenport & Woodsmoor being served by the 2tph Buxton to Piccadilly service and no Hazel Grove to Piccadilly all stations shuttle?

So much for the original 2015/2016 franchise agreement to have a 2tph Hazel Grove to Piccadilly all stations shuttle as well as 2tph Buxton to Piccadilly and the Blackpool to Hazel Grove service being diverted to Macclesfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.