• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on four track lines that have platforms on three of the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tester

I don't think it's "set down only"; maybe it once was but the timetable for 2N99 above shows both pick up and set down. However I'm not local and I could be wrong!
There is no way of getting on to the platform other than by someone getting off releasing the gate for you and you then getting on before the train doors close!

Nothing is booked to stop on the down fast at Bushey, but of course diversions occur, as with 2N99 in this case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
There is no way of getting on to the platform other than by someone getting off releasing the gate for you and you then getting on before the train doors close!

Nothing is booked to stop on the down fast at Bushey, but of course diversions occur, as with 2N99 in this case.
Yes, interesting, I double-checked both the working timetable and the public timetable and 2N99 is booked to pick up at Bushey but clearly reality means that it can't when it's using platform 3, I wonder if anyone has ever turned up for the 22:35 to Watford and Northampton and been unable to catch it?

1669459663929.png
Actually, what happens is that this gets amended, eg for next week (https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=28/11/2022&TOC=):
Start date28/11/2022End date02/12/2022Route affected
London Northwestern Railway between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central
Train operator affectedLondon Northwestern RailwayDescription
Engineering work is taking place between London Euston and Wembley Central, closing some lines overnight from Monday evening until Friday morning.

The following trains will call at Bushey for customers to disembark only:

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday:

• The 22:42 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central service
  • The 23:03 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central service.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday:

• The 00:35 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central service

Check before you travel:

You can plan your journey using the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner

Tester

Yes, interesting, I double-checked both the working timetable and the public timetable and 2N99 is booked to pick up at Bushey but clearly reality means that it can't when it's using platform 3, I wonder if anyone has ever turned up for the 22:35 to Watford and Northampton and been unable to catch it?

View attachment 124319
Actually, what happens is that this gets amended, eg for next week (https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=28/11/2022&TOC=):
The reality is that you would be unlucky not to make it, but it would be fraught!

Northbound demand on the main line from Bushey is very low, and the frequent DC service helps a lot.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I don't think it's "set down only"; maybe it once was but the timetable for 2N99 above shows both pick up and set down. However I'm not local and I could be wrong!

There are signs on the platform saying it's forbidden to wait there. It's all very strange. You'd think a short platform would be a problem for setting down, not for picking up. According to wikipedia, a gun fortification was built between platforms 2 and 3, so it's probably best not to push our luck.

vic-rijrode

Bushey platform 3 (down fast) is most certainly usable, albeit 4 car length only, and has the unusual status of being for set down only. There is no mention of it on the station itself, and access is blocked by a gate which can only be released from the platform.
Ah yes I can see from Bing maps that a section of the platform has been reinstated since I last travelled on that line, havng moved away some years ago. Certainly for many years it was overgrown and damaged - I assumed (wrongly) that it would probably never be repaired. Fairly difficult to see why it would be reinstated but difficult to access.

Veteran Member
Given it's a terminus, I should hope not! ;)
Oops! General (the only General that hasn't become a Central!).
Not sure Swindon is really on a four track railway; Until BR removed the Down side in the early 70s there were indeed 4 tracks between the platforms, but as the reinstated Down platform is on the Down Main there are now only 3!
Ah, but there's an Up Loop, so it looks like a classic "3+1" layout. I agree it's not a 4-track railway.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Earlswood and Salfords might have an overgrown platform on the Up Fast?
It might (just) be said about Earlsfield as well, as the remains of the up fast platform can be seen as an overgrown hump. I have a feeling that this platform was closed when the Wimbledon flyover was built and the configuration of the lines between Wimbledon and Earlsfield was changed so that the up slow was now the up fast: perhaps someone can confirm this. Even so, I don't know why this platform was removed, it would have come in handy when the slow lines were blocked for p/w work, etc.

Snow1964

Established Member
Shawford is marginal, the 4 track section ends just south of a platform, but due to staggered platforms one is almost opposite 4th track (the third track continues to former junction with Didcot line via Winchester Chesil)

steamybrian

Established Member
It might (just) be said about Earlsfield as well, as the remains of the up fast platform can be seen as an overgrown hump. I have a feeling that this platform was closed when the Wimbledon flyover was built and the configuration of the lines between Wimbledon and Earlsfield was changed so that the up slow was now the up fast: perhaps someone can confirm this. Even so, I don't know why this platform was removed, it would have come in handy when the slow lines were blocked for p/w work, etc.
Although I am a senior citizen I remember the up fast platform at Earlsfield being situ during the late 1960s so estimate it was removed late 1960s or 1970s.

Mentioning Acton ML above I therefore suggest- West Ealing and Hanwell..?

Thebaz

In reply to 30907 I will state that Earlswood Down Fast platform is still in situ but overgrown and has been abandoned for many years.
Purley Oaks platform 1 and 2 maybe locked off but probably unlocked and used during engineering works. Other stations between Purley and Clapham Jn are in a similar situation.
Yep Purley Oaks P1 and 2 are used during engineering works. I have departed from/arrived at both twice on Sundays in the last year.

mr_moo

Acton mainline
Platform 2 is no longer usable though - the new footbridge was built close to that side of the platform and the rest of the platform face was fenced off permanently. Thus, I suppose it's still there, sort of, but not sure how much it counts as being a platform any more.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Not sure Swindon is really on a four track railway; Until BR removed the Down side in the early 70s there were indeed 4 tracks between the platforms, but as the reinstated Down platform is on the Down Main there are now only 3!

Yes it is 4 tracks:
Up Swindon Passenger Loop
Down Swindon Passenger Loop
Up Main
Down Main

Only 3 out of 4 of these lines have platform faces as per the OP request.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Yes it is 4 tracks:
Up Swindon Passenger Loop
Down Swindon Passenger Loop
Up Main
Down Main

Perhaps being pedantic, but I would say that having Up and Down Loops is not quite the same as a four track railway. For example, the WCML is clearly a four track railway between Stafford and Crewe, whereas it is not between Lockerbie and Carstairs, despite several locations having loops.

A few people have already mentioned Purley and Purley Oaks. They deserve an honourable mention for their bizarre platform layout.

The Brighton fast line runs through both stations and they have platforms that are closed to the public unless a service is about to stop there (mostly engineering works or early morning services).

Closing off the side platform makes sense, but both stations have an island platform with a big metal fence running down the middle to physically keep you away from the fast line. They have gates that are unlocked to let people through when a service is scheduled to use them.

I remember when I first noticed the fences while driving a train in Train Simulator - I thought it was a graphical glitch and was surprised to see the fences actually exist in real life.

MCR247

Established Member
A few people have already mentioned Purley and Purley Oaks. They deserve an honourable mention for their bizarre platform layout.

The Brighton fast line runs through both stations and they have platforms that are closed to the public unless a service is about to stop there (mostly engineering works or early morning services).

Closing off the side platform makes sense, but both stations have an island platform with a big metal fence running down the middle to physically keep you away from the fast line. They have gates that are unlocked to let people through when a service is scheduled to use them.

I remember when I first noticed the fences while driving a train in Train Simulator - I thought it was a graphical glitch and was surprised to see the fences actually exist in real life.

I’m not sure I’d say the platform layouts are bizarre, it’s a fairly standard 4 platform station. The fences and gates are present at lots of stations with rarely used platforms on fast lines - similar stations on the WCML, GWML and other ones on the Brighton line

djdanny77

Someone mentioned Tonbridge earlier as 5 tracks with 3 platforms but I think it should be 6 and 4?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Someone mentioned Tonbridge earlier as 5 tracks with 3 platforms but I think it should be 6 and 4?
Only 5/3 through the station, the northern track is a bay platform. Tonbridge doesn't count for this thread though as the 'four-track line' through the station only has platforms on 2 of the lines, the 3rd platform being a loop off the slow lines.

BeijingDave

Possibly stranger still is Thirsk, where there are two island platforms with the inner roads being the fast lines. The outer faces of the island platforms are in use, the inner faces are fenced off, overgrown and were partially cut back during an ECML upgrade.

Veteran Member
I’m not sure I’d say the platform layouts are bizarre, it’s a fairly standard 4 platform station. The fences and gates are present at lots of stations with rarely used platforms on fast lines - similar stations on the WCML, GWML and other ones on the Brighton line
It is, sadly, a necessity where you have a 4-track layout "paired by use" (so FFSS) which applies to the majority of main lines.
The major exception is the East Coast main line which is "paired by direction" (SFFS), as are the SW main line from Wimbledon to Worting Jn and various parts of the West Coast route North of Rugby.

BeijingDave

It is, sadly, a necessity where you have a 4-track layout "paired by use" (so FFSS) which applies to the majority of main lines.
The major exception is the East Coast main line which is "paired by direction" (SFFS), as are the SW main line from Wimbledon to Worting Jn and various parts of the West Coast route North of Rugby.

Paired by direction also has fencing, as pointed out above (Thirsk).

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does Ely count? 3 platforms and a through line
It's on a 2-track line though, so it's actually 2 lines with a passenger loop and goods loop. Mind you, plenty of other suggestions have been made of stations that are only on 2-track lines.

BeijingDave

Marsden to the west of Huddersfield has four running lines but just 3 platforms - not sure why this is the case.

As pointed out it has only 3 running lines.

However, the 3 platforms are because this station is the far boundary of West Yorkshire PTE and some stopping trains used to turn back there.

(Greenfield, on the Lancashire side didn't have a turnback platform although it did have some trains start there early in the morning as I recall)

Church Fenton has 5 lines but 4 platforms.

Last edited:

BeijingDave

And has a platform available to train on any line, which isn't really what the OP was after. Otherwise we're just on 'any station with a non-platform line' territory.
Fair enough.

I don't think Loughborough has been mentioned... 4 tracks, 3 platform faces.

Will we allow Worcester Shrub Hill? One platform face, then one middle lane, and another island platform with two faces? Thus 4 tracks, 3 platform faces, although a yard with through paths on the east side may disqualify it.

Westbury and Yeovil Pen Mill sort of also qualify, 3 platform faces on 5 through tracks in Westbury's case, 3 platform faces on 4 through tracks at Yeovil (although 2 platform faces serve the same track).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.