• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on the "wrong" side of the bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryD

Notoriously, Knighton station is in Shropshire, England, while Knighton itself is across the (admittedly small) River Teme in Powys, Wales.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
Maybe a stretch on bridge misnomers, but Connel Ferry station, serving the village of Connel, has not had a ferry for around 100 years. Not since around the time the bridge across Loch Etive (built for the Ballachulish branch line) was converted to a combined road/rail bridge in 1914. For some reason the station seems to have clung onto its Ferry suffix ever since.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Maybe a stretch on bridge misnomers, but Connel Ferry station, serving the village of Connel, has not had a ferry for around 100 years. Not since around the time the bridge across Loch Etive (built for the Ballachulish branch line) was converted to a combined road/rail bridge in 1914. For some reason the station seems to have clung onto its Ferry suffix ever since.
There is no ferry at North Queensferry either.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Quite a while since there was a ford of the Thames at Oxford as well. (Many other 'ford' towns and station names are also available.)

Karl

On Moderation
Bamber Bridge would be a good one. There's not a single bridge in the village! Believe me not. I still struggle to know how this place got its name.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
As the station serving Gateshead, I have always regarded Newcastle as being on the wrong side of the bridge!

Nice to see that London isn't the only place where being transpontine is so important. A pal of mine was only half speaking in jest when he complained to me that the extension of the East London Line to Dalston would 'bring all you South Londoners up to Hackney'. When I told a French pal living in London that the Eurostar terminal was moved from Waterloo to St Pancras because people from North London didn't like crossing the river to catch cross-Channel services, she almost believed me.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hope (Derbyshire) station is in the Civil Parish of Aston, on the 'wrong side' of the River Noe. (There is no 'River Hope' in the 'Hope Valley'. The ancient word 'Hope' refers to a valley on its own anyway.)
So a better name for the railway route would be the "Noe Hope line"? :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I have never been entirely sure where the Bridge is supposed to be in Sowerby Bridge or Hebden Bridge
I think the eponymous "Sowerby Bridge" bridge is the road bridge over the Calder close to where the railway crosses the same road, at the western edge of the centre. The built up area at a higher level on the adjacent valley side (opposite side to where Sowerby Bridge station is) is simply known as "Sowerby".

kieron

Established Member
I don't think Hawarden Bridge station is actually in Hawarden? But either way, it's still located on the wrong side of the river from the actual village.
As I understand it, the name was an oblique reference to the then Leader of the Opposition, rather than being to Hawarden itself.
I have never been entirely sure where the Bridge is supposed to be in Sowerby Bridge or Hebden Bridge
Hebden Bridge is apparently named after a packhorse bridge across Hebden Water. There's some information about it on this page.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Bamber Bridge would be a good one. There's not a single bridge in the village! Believe me not. I still struggle to know how this place got its name.

(From Oxford Dictionary of British Place Names by A.D.Mills)
Early name for Bamber Bridge was "Bymbrig", probable meaning "tree-trunk bridge".

(Old English) Beam = Tree; Bryrg = Bridge.

Karl

On Moderation
(From Oxford Dictionary of British Place Names by A.D.Mills)
Early name for Bamber Bridge was "Bymbrig", probable meaning "tree-trunk bridge".

(Old English) Beam = Tree; Bryrg = Bridge.

Interesting.

Locals are known as Briggers and the village afectionately called Brig.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There is no ferry at North Queensferry either.
True - and the same applies at Rock Ferry, Stromeferry (normally) and elsewhere.

The unusual thing about Connel Ferry is the village itself is named Connel and, as far as I can see, there's no other mention of the long-gone ferry than in the station name.
At North Queensferry and the other examples, the word "ferry "is still incorporated into the local settlement's name.

Stromeferry-no_ferry.jpg

Source: PMJ at Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/, via Wikimedia Commons

Scotty

Hubbert's Bridge station is in the village of Hubbert's Bridge, which is named after the bridge right next to the station. Up the line/drain is Swineshead station, which is actually in the hamlet of Swineshead Bridge, and that bridge is also next to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.