• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations or other locations that resemble a model railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

New Mills Central is quite model-railway-like as it is built on the side of a steep hill, with main line and branch both disappearing into tunnels a few hundred yards from the station, and in the other direction the line curves round to where the fiddle yard would be hidden behind the steep hillside.

yoyothehobo

If you had the space and the inclination I reckon Wigan NW and Wigan Wallgate together would make quite a good model. Real variation in traffic, through fast services, bay platforms, local traffic rail under rail bridge to use as a scenic break with the WCML as the main back scenic break.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Bangor was one I was thinking of - though I'm not sure those either side (Llanfairfechan and the famous LlanfairPwll) are endowed with quite so many model like features.

It's been quite a while since I've been there; I just remember lots of tunnels and pretty stations nestled in-between steep hills.
One station beyond Llanfairfechan is Penmaenmawr, which is between two (slightly distant) rocky outcrops. There's also the stone freight sidings next to the station.

The next station along, Conwy, definitely meets the description: long tunnel under town and walls, a road bridge, then the station, an arch through the town walls, a run along the outside of the town and castle walls, and into the tubular bridge over the Conwy river. All in roughly half a mile!
conwy(beven1999)1.jpg

4925267_cd78a9cc.jpg

4554441784_9cc6d1e22e_z.jpg

I don't get the High Brooms reference?
Exactly the same reason as Goathland...
https://www.hattons.co.uk/98243/Hornby_R9818_Skaledale_High_Brooms_Station/StockDetail.aspx
https://www.hattons.co.uk/98244/Hor...igh_Brooms_Platform_Building/StockDetail.aspx

My vote would be for Montrose, especially before the Bervie branch closed.
Single track to the south, viaduct, then a bridge over the river, then double track through the station and onwards, loco shed and yard, two bay platforms (both north and south on the east side), loop behind the northbound platform, junction for Bervie, goods shed, two signalboxes.

Scenic breaks could be where it heads into the cutting towards Usan at the south end and under the bridge of the Brechin road at the north end. Being a very linear layout, you might have to cheat and shorten it a bit or add some curves that aren't there to fit it in a room. But it would make a fabulous model with bags of operational interest. Everything from P2s, V2s, A4s and 0-6-0 freight engines to Deltics, Class 47s, HSTs, Turdostars and, soon, Azoooooooomas... :smile:

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Exactly the same reason as Goathland...
https://www.hattons.co.uk/98243/Hornby_R9818_Skaledale_High_Brooms_Station/StockDetail.aspx
https://www.hattons.co.uk/98244/Hor...igh_Brooms_Platform_Building/StockDetail.aspx

My vote would be for Montrose, especially before the Bervie branch closed.
Single track to the south, viaduct, then a bridge over the river, then double track through the station and onwards, loco shed and yard, two bay platforms (both north and south on the east side), loop behind the northbound platform, junction for Bervie, goods shed, two signalboxes.

Scenic breaks could be where it heads into the cutting towards Usan at the south end and under the bridge of the Brechin road at the north end. Being a very linear layout, you might have to cheat and shorten it a bit or add some curves that aren't there to fit it in a room. But it would make a fabulous model with bags of operational interest. Everything from P2s, V2s, A4s and 0-6-0 freight engines to Deltics, Class 47s, HSTs, Turdostars and, soon, Azoooooooomas... :smile:
Montrose is lovely. I like that one.
A pair of Bachmann 37s hauling a nice long 1990s sleeper. Mmm... ;)

Wetheral, just east of Carlisle on the Tyne Valley Line.

Curved platform, old fashioned signage, fantastic bridge, the old Station house, then you roll out across the viaduct over the River Eden!

8B437401-45A8-4271-B7E7-45510F08C720.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
If someone had a lot of space, Newcastle would make for a great one, uniquely forming a circuit over the two bridges, shunting towards the life centre, thunderbird interest, freight, it's got terminating and through services, local, semi-fast and express services, has lines heading off in 3 directions, it also has a suburban station close by and a castle. If that's not enough, Nexus could also be modelled.

Montrose is lovely. I like that one.
A pair of Bachmann 37s hauling a nice long 1990s sleeper. Mmm... ;)
I don't know whether I'd be more inspired by a P2 thundering through on a rake of teaks, passing the Bervie trip freight in the yard, or an FP Deltic passing a steaming Class 26, both on rakes of Mk1s :smile:

I am rather talking myself into the idea though. I have three walls of a room available for a train set and all six FP white cab (Bachmann) Deltics looking pretty with nowhere to go...

ANDREW_D_WEBB

North Acton. In a deep cutting with bridges at both ends. Intensive Central Line operation, plus the Northolt - Paddington Line for National Rail stuff (albeit that is now closed)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know whether I'd be more inspired by a P2 thundering through on a rake of teaks, passing the Bervie trip freight in the yard, or an FP Deltic passing a steaming Class 26, both on rakes of Mk1s :smile:

I am rather talking myself into the idea though. I have three walls of a room available for a train set and all six FP white cab (Bachmann) Deltics looking pretty with nowhere to go...
Every man needs a hobby.
Otherwise we're just left with our own thoughts, and only madness lies that way...

Hang on a minute.
Did you say you had all six FP Deltics..?

Every man needs a hobby.
Otherwise we're just left with our own thoughts, and only madness lies that way...
Unfortunately I have several hobbies, all of which have taken higher priority, which is why I've spent 20-odd years since I decided to build a train set not getting round to building one. This idea might finally kick me into action.
Hang on a minute.
Did you say you had all six FP Deltics..?
All six white cabs. DPS limited editions of Nos 9 and 15. Standard Bachmann model of No.12 and three further renames/renumbers of that model to 3, 7 and 18. Despite the lack of anywhere to run them, Finsbury Park traction is a peculiar personal weakness... :s

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Penhelig
Minffordd
Sheringham too but not as interesting given the level crossing is hardly used.
I always liked the model-like appearance of Penhelig seen from the train window, to the extent that I stayed there for a couple of days last autumn.
It's a pleasant little spot, with a station, two under-bridges, a main road, Victorian terraces and a nice pub/hotel, all fitted in between hills and the estuary, and between two tunnels only about 1/8 mile apart.
Only downside is that with just a single track, there's not much scope for operating variety. The track is on an embankment, with no sign of there ever having been a loop or sidings there.

St Leonards Warrior Square is another one. It has quite a model railway like appearance. There are tunnels immediately at both ends of the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.