• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations still known by old names

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelDream

I was arranging to meet up with a family member earlier. She is only in her late 30s, but referred to Cardiff Central as 'General station'. Cardiff General was renamed Cardiff Central in 1973 (49 years ago).

I'm not from Cardiff itself and have always referred to it as Cardiff Central/ Central station.

Are there any other train stations still widely known by their old names? What about any still called by an old name when that name was changed before that person was born?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Tunbridge Wells station is still known locally as Tunbridge Wells Central.
Do consider that the Spa Valley Railway runs from Tunbridge Wells West station.

I would be interested to know if any locals in Ashford (Kent) call their station Ashford International..?

bramling

Veteran Member
I was arranging to meet up with a family member earlier. She is only in her late 30s, but referred to Cardiff Central as 'General station'. Cardiff General was renamed Cardiff Central in 1973 (49 years ago).

I'm not from Cardiff itself and have always referred to it as Cardiff Central/ Central station.

Are there any other train stations still widely known by their old names? What about any still called by an old name when that name was changed before that person was born?

I don't think I've *ever* heard anyone locally refer to "Letchworth Garden City", either in terms of the station or the town. It was only a push by a few people some years back which got everything changed to the full name. Given that Garden City is only one step up from New Town, which is generally regarded as a negative thing, I've always found it a bit of a strange thing to be wanting to publicise.

duncanp

Established Member
Some football fans refer to the tube station just before Finsbury Park station on the Piccadilly Line (heading out of London) as Gillespie Road just to avoid saying the name of the football club after which it was renamed.

unlevel42

Sheffield station is often still referred by the public and officially as 'Midland station', 'Sheffield Midland' etc.
An 'official' example can be seen on the current posters and media associated with the Hope Valley(misnamed?)Capacity scheme, an examples is post 1,082 in the photo provided by Killingworth

dk1

Veteran Member
Great Yarmouths surviving station is still refered to locally as Vauxhall.

Johnny Lewis

Until they died, my (Polish) grandparents living in Nottingham used to refer to the station as "Midland station". Of course, other stations HAD been available in Nottingham in their lifetime, if not in mine.

leytongabriel

Kings Cross St Pancras underground station was given its full name in 1933 (1940 for the Metroplition line according to Wikipedia) but people always refer to it as Kings Cross, which was the original name, as well as obviously being shorter.

Alexandra Palace and Harringay Green Lanes have been renamed so many times they get called all sorts of variants and often not the current one!

Parallel

Established Member
I've heard Reading station referred to as 'Reading General' or 'General station' as few times. I wonder if this will become more common once Reading Green Park opens and there are three stations serving Reading (arguably 4 including Tilehurst).

Steddenm

Nuneaton Trent Bridge springs to mind.

Some manual announcements on the old Central Trains services used to refer to it as such. Same as Leicester London Road.

Merthyr Imp

Until they died, my (Polish) grandparents living in Nottingham used to refer to the station as "Midland station". Of course, other stations HAD been available in Nottingham in their lifetime, if not in mine.

I used to do that for many years after Victoria station closed, but I'd got over it by the time I left Nottingham 20+ years ago.

Gloster

Established Member
I have heard, and used myself, the description ‘Town station’ for Portsmouth & Southsea. I think some people still call Plymouth ‘North Road’.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Edmonton Green station stopped being Lower Edmonton 30 years ago, but my brain hasn't caught up yet. For a forty year anachronism, I still call Alexandra Palace station "Wood Green Overground" just to confuse people in two ways simultaneously (back in the day, "The overground" meant anything that wasn't The Underground).

fgwrich

Established Member
I've heard Reading station referred to as 'Reading General' or 'General station' as few times. I wonder if this will become more common once Reading Green Park opens and there are three stations serving Reading (arguably 4 including Tilehurst).

They’ve even applied some (pretty garishly done) mock Reading General totems in the Western entrance now. I don’t think there are any closer to the old Southern entrance.

I have heard, and used myself, the description ‘Town station’ for Portsmouth & Southsea. I think some people still call Plymouth ‘North Road’.

Plymouth North Road is still semi regularly used in my family!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I usually refer to the two sub surface stations at Paddington as Praed Street and Bishop's Road...

Ashley Hill

Established Member
When I started on the railway many older passengers still asked for tickets to Queen Street (Exeter Central since 1933).

On Moderation
Should change the main station to be Reading Hauptbahnhof! :lol:

jupiter

Born and brought up in Nottingham, my mother would always refer to the station as Midland Station, and of course the market place was always Slab Square.

Magdalia

Established Member
Alexandra Palace and Harringay Green Lanes have been renamed so many times they get called all sorts of variants and often not the current one!
The current Alexandra Palace was Wood Green until 1982. It has also previously been Wood Green (Alexandra Park).

Harringay Green Lanes is the 5th name, starting in 1991. It has previously been Harringay Park Green Lanes, Harringay Park, Harringay Stadium and Harringay East.

Allwinter_Kit

Leeds City. (Edinburgh) Waverley
I came with both of these and realised that I'm actually not sure what the "official" designation is? I think just "Leeds" and "Edinburgh" (with Edinburgh's other main station being simply "Haymarket" but I'm also pretty sure that both of those stations carry signage with "Leeds City" and "Edinburgh Waverley".

Attachments

• 1_4761c340807144cca2310ef3843164dc.jpg
    1_4761c340807144cca2310ef3843164dc.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 120

The exile

Established Member
I came with both of these and realised that I'm actually not sure what the "official" designation is? I think just "Leeds" and "Edinburgh" (with Edinburgh's other main station being simply "Haymarket" but I'm also pretty sure that both of those stations carry signage with "Leeds City" and "Edinburgh Waverley".
The survival of suffixes in places like Edinburgh is unsurprising - as within the local area just saying "the (train / railway) station" doesn't necessarily make it clear which one you mean - particularly when the secondary one isn't actually that secondary (Waverley and Haymarket for most destinations, for example). There will be a lot of "local usage" variations to this - it's just dawning on me that as a Bath resident, it would never occur to me that, out of context, "the station" meant anything but Bath Spa; if I lived in Oldfield Park however, I might think differently.

Established Member
St Botolphs instead of Colchester Town
Parkeston instead of Harwich International

fat_boy_pete

St Botolphs instead of Colchester Town
Parkeston instead of Harwich International
And the classic 'North Station' for Colchester, called that locally since Victorian times (see NLS historic maps), but never officially ever named that by the Railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.