• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Stations that were served by three or more sectors of BR before privatisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
What was that operated with? Seems strange it wasn't run as an IC service unless the set went on to do other RR workings before heading back to Leicester.
It was a 2-car Class 158, I believe. Diagram fully integrated with other ‘regional express’ workings of the period.
IC Midland+Cross Country wouldn’t have wanted to run to Manchester via the Hope Valley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Seeing some of the above posts about Waterloo Alphaline services I'm sure it ran from and to Cardiff at some strange hour of the day. I think it was later run to Paddington instead. AIUI they weren't very busy.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I know that the 'end' of BR was a bit of a moveable feast, given the progress of franchising up to early 1997 but I have always thought of the Sectors as ending on 31 March 1994.

On this basis NSE never ran to Bristol from Salisbury and 'Wales & West' of Regional Railways didn't run to Waterloo. Until Eurostar has begun, later in 1994, there was no real business opportunity.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the Cardiff-Waterloo/Paddington was an Alphaline service. An out and back trip at a silly hour. If I still had my GBTTs I could have a look. It could not have happened as Wessex.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the Cardiff-Waterloo/Paddington was an Alphaline service. An out and back trip at a silly hour. If I still had my GBTTs I could have a look. It could not have happened as Wessex.
According to the 'Regional Railways Story' definitive history the 'test run' for an Alphaline Class 158 was on 16 January 1995 (combined with Gordon Pettit's 60th birthday party!). It allowed a Swansea-Waterloo-Brussels 'day trip' 06:48-23:27. So not strictly a 'sector' service. I presume that the regular timetable started in May 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.