• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations used by passengers after closure to scheduled services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A twist on the theme of this thread was Great Longstone near Bakewell on the the Midland Chinley - Matlock main line, now sadly closed. Passenger services at the station ended in September 1962 but two trains continued to call for a while solely for the benefit a nursing sister who worked in Buxton. I heard this story years ago, which I dismissed at the time as a railway myth, but a contemporary 'British Movietone' newsreel 'It only stops for her' is now on YouTube confirming the story. Brief shots of the 'Blue Pullman' and 'Peak' hauled expresses.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Up to at least the 1960s, it was quite common for railtours to call at stations closed to passengers on branch lines that still retained some freight services. Usually, passengers could alight and photograph the stations & train.

Veteran Member
The North Lancs Loop stations (Padiham, Simonstone, Great Harwood) had holiday week excursions from from closure in 1957 until IIRC 1963. I am sure there are many similar examples from that period.

daodao

Established Member
Gilfach Goch was used for many years for football excursions to Ninian Park (Cardiff).
The regular passenger service to Gilfach Goch ceased in 1930, but a former colleague who came from there recalled summer day excursion trips to Porthcawl in the 1950s.

Status
Not open for further replies.