• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:Stations which majority of use is leisure travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Looking at the airports of the United Kingdom a large number such as Doncaster, Bournemouth, East Midlands, Glasgow Prestwick and Leeds Bradford are mostly used for tourism and leisure purposes rather than people traveling for work purposes while London City Airport is the opposite in that a large majority of passengers are there for work purposes.

I was wondering though how many stations are the same in that most of the people using the stations are not commuters but people traveling for leisure and tourism purposes.

Some of the ones I can think of are Heysham Port, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Bordersley, Manchester United FC and Teesside Airport.

Can anyone else think of any stations in a similar position in that the majority of the travel is for leisure purposes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hornet

Loch Eil Outward Bound, Dunrobin Castle, Falls of Cruachan, Sugar Loaf.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Doleham, almost definitely!

Many stations along rural lines see a rapid increase in football during spring and summer as the weather picks up and days out become more appealing.
I imagine Stratford Regional and International must have a very high proportion of leisure travellers thanks to the proximity to Westfield and the Stratford Centre.

tsr

Established Member
Glenfinnan must be up there, if only for those who happen to alight during the dwell times of steam excursions there.

Also, I wonder what the ratio of leisure:commuters at some Tube stations is? TfL must know some fairly well-educated guesses. I should imagine stations like Leicester Square must be prominent on any such list.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I would hazard a guess that Meadowhall station users are mainly shoppers, which I presume we're accepting as a leisure activity. Yes I also realise that maybe a lot of their workers probably use it, as well as people transferring onto the tram, but overall I'd be willing to get my kidney that the majority are shoppers.

Others that spring to mind are popular with walkers, such as Berney Arms, Horton-in-Ribblesdale, Ribblehead (definitely), and Dent. I'd add Middlewood and Edale to this. Whilst I appreciate there may be some commuter flow here, it will be minimal. Let's face it, Edale station will look very different to Esher station on a weekday morning.

I can't imagine Rannoch or Corrour being popular with anyone else but tourists so I'll throw these into the mix.

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Newbury Racecourse?
Aintree?
Newmarket?

Possibility of a spin-off thread? ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd imagine station on Parliamentary services such as Denton, Reddish South or the already mentioned Berney Arms would be in this group.

The main usage of Denton and Reddish South (and Teesside Airport) is likely to be enthusiasts scratching off the shacks... in effect people use them because they (the stations) are there!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Stations in Cornwall such as Looe, Newquay & St Ives, mainly tourists/holidaymakers surely.

Stations such as these are mainly used for leisure purposes such as for people going for walks in the countryside. Although i imagine that they all have other users as well

Ashurst New Forest
Beaulieu Road
Brockenhurst
Doleham
Normans Bay
Pevensey Bay
Three Oaks
Winchelsea

There are probably quite a few others as well.

Hornet

No mention of Smallbrook Junction or Penychain? (Which used to be Butlins Penychain). Would have thought that they were early candidates and more befitting than many of the other suggestions.

thenorthern

Established Member
Many of the places with high amounts of tourism such as Blackpool and Llandudno I would imagine still have more commuters than leisure travelers.

NSE

Established Member
I agree with TheNorthern that work will almost always come out on top. Ones like Stratford are prime examples. Plenty of leisure of course, but people who work there will also be using it.

thenorthern

Established Member
Ryde Pier Head I would think has a large amount of leisure travel but not sure if most of the passenger usage is leisure.

Uttoxeter has a large amount of Racecourse traffic and some Alton Towers traffic but I think overall its still used more by commuters than tourists.

With the airport stations I would expect most of them to have a majority work related usage as people going away on holiday are more likely to travel by car to the airport as they have a large amount of luggage.

BantamMenace

Coventry Arena for reasons similar to Manchester United Football Ground.

Burley Park and Headingley used heavily for the Rugby/Cricket as well as many many students in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.