• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Temporary stations that ended up rather permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Well, given the success of the "Stations that were not stationary" thread (something like that) - I thought I'd invert the concept. What about stations that were intended to be temporary, and just wouldn't budge in the end?

I'll kick orf with Marylebone - meant to be a stop gap until Sir Edward tunneled under the Thames to link up the LCDR, wasn't it? (Or was it SEC?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch was closed in 1966 but reopened in 1970 due to the fire on the Britannia Bridge as the terminus for trains from Holyhead, with a single wooden platform. It was again closed in January 1973 for four months and reopened with two non-wooden platforms.

Malcolmffc

Waterloo was meant to be a temporary terminus, pending an extension over the river into the City. This never happened, and instead the Waterloo & City Line was built.

Shoreditch High street is on the site of the former Bishopsgate terminus of the Great Eastern, used until Liverpool St was built.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The former concourse area in front of the main trainsheds at Kings Cross was built under temporary planning permission granted in 1973, which BR (and subsequently Railtrack and Network Rail) had to renew every five years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.