• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - the big concrete cube at Balham junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar

At Balham junction, where the lines to Streatham Hill branch off the Brighton main line, there is a cube of concrete about 6ft x 6ft x 6ft in the 'V' where the lines join. It has been there for years. How did it get there? Did it once have a purpose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
At Balham junction, where the lines to Streatham Hill branch off the Brighton main line, there is a cube of concrete about 6ft x 6ft x 6ft in the 'V' where the lines join. It has been there for years. How did it get there? Did it once have a purpose?
Yes - stopping over runs from the carriage siding washer headshunt into the streatham common slow lines if anything went through the buffers first...

It got “there” after being hit by a train which failed to stop in the Streatham Hill sidings some time in the early 1990s. I remember going past it on an early train the Victoria and seeing people looking at the scene. I think both slow lines were closed, not sure about the down fast.

It had done its job in stopping the miscreant train from going all the way onto the main line. So to answer the question I believe it was originally a stop block (literally) for the siding from Streatham Hill up sidings.

hwl

Established Member
It got “there” after being hit by a train which failed to stop in the Streatham Hill sidings some time in the early 1990s. I remember going past it on an early train the Victoria and seeing people looking at the scene. I think both slow lines were closed, not sure about the down fast.

It had done its job in stopping the miscreant train from going all the way onto the main line. So to answer the question I believe it was originally a stop block (literally) for the siding from Streatham Hill up sidings.

The bit facing the train ended up facing skywards afterwards and several metres from where it started...

Status
Not open for further replies.