• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Trains which only serve cities, not towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad

Post removed as it appears to have caused offence. Apologies.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4F89

By that argument you aren't allowed to count the London terminals that aren't in the City or Westminster (Euston, St Pancras and King's Cross are in Camden, for example).
Mic-drop

Pit_buzzer

By that argument you aren't allowed to count the London terminals that aren't in the City or Westminster (Euston, St Pancras and King's Cross are in Camden, for example).
When I started the thread I wondered if that would come up, it's all good fun

Fuzzytop

However the vast majority of the nonstop London to Cambridge trains extend to either Ely or Kings Lynn calling at Waterbeach.

Ely is a city of course, but Waterbeach isn't.
There is a morning service with Greater Anglia from Cambridge to Ely, calling only at Cambridge North - possibly a positioning move?

eg. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W51533/2022-05-24/detailed

However I can't quite remember if Cambridge North is just inside or outside the city limits! (And indeed if it falls under the scope of a 'city' station regardless, given it mainly serves the science park, Chesterton village, and links to the busway.)

nw12398

Reading and Swindon are not cities, but are there any trains which run non-stop between London, Bristol (Parkway), Cardiff and Swansea?

Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth?

I think all trains between London, Chelmsford, Colchester and Norwich are now all cities, but Ipswich is not.
I'm pretty sure all trains from London to Bristol Parkway, Cardiff and Swansea stop at Reading. Although Bristol Parkway isn't in the City of Bristol anyway.

I'm pretty sure all trains between Bristol and Plymouth stop in Taunton and Newton Abbot.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
TGVs from Paris non-stop out to Bordeaux, Lyon and Marseille

I'll get my coat...

scrapy

Established Member
All 3 stops on the Lancaster to Morecambe shuttles are within the 'Lancaster City Council' area so I guess that counts.

Even the 1st train in a morning that goes via Carnforth stays within the city boundaries.

Last edited:

TheDavibob

However I can't quite remember if Cambridge North is just inside or outside the city limits! (And indeed if it falls under the scope of a 'city' station regardless, given it mainly serves the science park, Chesterton village, and links to the busway.)
Technically just outside the city - the busway defines the boundary up there.

Chesterton hasn't been a village by any reasonable definition for over a century - it's definitely a suburb of the city. Agreed that Cambridge North isn't your typical 'city' station though.

BeijingDave

TGVs from Paris non-stop out to Bordeaux, Lyon and Marseille

I'll get my coat...

It's a good one, there are also a number of services that do Beijing (China's capital) - Nanjing (China's old capital) - Shanghai (it's biggest city) as the only stops on a 5 hour journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.