• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Under-rated buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Aberdeen had some O405's with Prisma bodywork, I think they were the first to get them, seemed nice machines and obviously looked different to the Atlanteans and Olympians that were usually running around the city

You did get them with various different bodies in the UK, but the "integral" Mercedes-supplied one used all over Germany was, apart from looking a bit boring, hard to fault. Only came across them with Finglands in the UK - did anyone else have "German originals"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You did get them with various different bodies in the UK, but the "integral" Mercedes-supplied one used all over Germany was, apart from looking a bit boring, hard to fault. Only came across them with Finglands in the UK - did anyone else have "German originals"?
Weren't the West Midlands ones built with MB bodies? UVG were supposed to finish them off but they went bust so MB did the trimming etc themselves in the UK?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A quick Google and yes, indeed, they are "integral" Merc ones like the German type. Thanks.
I remember they were good machines - based mainly in Birmingham originally but also in West Brom where they ran the 404 to Walsall; in later years, think they appeared elsewhere in the Black Country. During the lost years where NXWM weren't that great, they weren't as well presented as they might have been.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Didn't West Midlands Travel have a substantial batch of 0405s? I thought they were. Seemed to recall they were nice machines on trips to places like Oldbury
Travel West Midlands did have a substantial batch of O405Ns, 193 from new in fact (a few of which had bodywork finished by UVG before that company went bust; the rest being finished by Mercedes themselves at Tankersley). They also acquired an ex-demostrator (S343 MOJ, which became 1743) after the loss of native S623 VUK (1623) in a fire at West Bromwich garage in March 2001; 343 had been on loan to TWM at that time to cover for warranty/modification work on their own O405Ns.

What about the Ailsa? I grew up in Leeds and Black Prince buses had loads of them, they could get a lot of speed up for late running buses or the x51 route that ran via the m621
I always thought the Ailsa WAS rated but perhaps more so in Scotland where they were, of course, much more common.

After the Ailsa, I did think the Citybus was a bit overlooked/under-rated. Badgerline had a batch of 12 in 1986, and I remember being impressed with the power they had when travelling on them as open toppers....22 years later!
Indeed. I'd say the Ailsa is more underrated south of the border - barring Black Prince, the famous West Midlands PTE examples, the South Yorkshire Van-Hools and the London A-SUU trio - as they were far more popular in Scotland. Glasgow/Strathclyde and Dundee in particular were both meccas for the type.

The Citybus Strathclyde did eventually take to, though not to the same degree as the Ailsa (101 examples of the former total bought new versus 151 of the latter). They were more than worthy successors that said (no surprises there, given the Citybus was a pegged-back/derated coach chassis with a double-deck coach body on top), with their performance still impressing in the twilight of their careers.

Last edited:

Non Multi

My choice, and it got me thinking about it, is the Wright Cadet bodied SB120 beloved of many Arriva OpCos. What's yours - discuss?
I was quite impressed with one of those when I travelled on one of Carousel's, on a route to High Wycombe.

I've never understood why operators don't order more narrowbodies, especially when complaints about blocked roads are commonplace. The Caetano Slimbus should have sold in greater numbers IMO, but was overlooked in favour of the Solo Mk1. Although I really like the Solo SR, the Mk1 Solo was a rattlebus.

busesrusuk

I remember they were good machines - based mainly in Birmingham originally but also in West Brom where they ran the 404 to Walsall; in later years, think they appeared elsewhere in the Black Country. During the lost years where NXWM weren't that great, they weren't as well presented as they might have been.
A number operated in Coventry including the "bendy" version, see here:

RustySpoons

Another bus that impressed me but only sold in low numbers to independent operators, the Ikarus Polaris 489 bodied DAF SB220..

I've done a few trips across Lancashire with the above example and although the passenger seats could have done with a bit more padding it felt pretty solid. This bus as well as it's sister spent 6 or 7 years constantly ploughing across the A59 without many issues.

Blue Bus of Penwortham also had a few in their fleet which eventually went to Arriva in Yorkshire. Aztecbird used to have one or two as well that ran to Leeds Bradford Airport. Along with the two Tyrer Bus had I think that's all they sold in the UK. Don't think there's any left now, although an ex-Arriva one has gone back to Hungary for preservation.

Think it gets my none prestigious meaningless award for the best looking bus of it's time too.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Another bus that impressed me but only sold in low numbers to independent operators, the Ikarus Polaris 489 bodied DAF SB220..

I've done a few trips across Lancashire with the above example and although the passenger seats could have done with a bit more padding it felt pretty solid. This bus as well as it's sister spent 6 or 7 years constantly ploughing across the A59 without many issues.

Blue Bus of Penwortham also had a few in their fleet which eventually went to Arriva in Yorkshire. Aztecbird used to have one or two as well that ran to Leeds Bradford Airport. Along with the two Tyrer Bus had I think that's all they sold in the UK. Don't think there's any left now, although an ex-Arriva one has gone back to Hungary for preservation.

Think it gets my none prestigious meaningless award for the best looking bus of it's time too.
A pair of MAN 18.220s (X83 AAK/2006 & YN03 XXS/2007) with this style of body operated with McColls of Balloch on SPT-subsidized services in/around the Vale of Leven, Helensburgh, Luss & Balmaha (numbered 305/306/309) for a time in the late 2000s, carrying SPT's Carmine/Cream livery to that effect. Looked rather fetching in those colors I thought (linked image copyright of Flickr's 1276-busstop) despite being among the most unusual vehicles to carry the livery.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I've always been a fan of Dennis Tridents, particularly the vast batches Stagecoach London had around East London back in the day. A simple, tuneful and relatively comfortable workhorse which received much stick back in the day, but has stood the test of time and just gets on with the job. The fact there's still plenty of the original S-BWC/T-KPU batch around with small operators on school services 23+ years since they were new is testament to this.

The ones in Norwich are now reaching Bristol VR levels of longevity with First Eastern Counties, and with a considerably more arduous earlier life as well.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Mercedes Citaro. Well known for being prone to catching fire and unreliable with many operators, but every Citaro I've been on has seemed to have a much better build quality and engine than the equivalents from Wright and ADL.
Don't think you can call the worlds best-selling bus at approx 60,000 as under-rated to be honest.

Might not have sold well here, but we are the exception, it's the number one choice for much of Europe.

Towers

Established Member
Going out on a limb here, but here goes..... the Optare Solo!

Yes, really! :D

They seem to get flak from all directions, but they were actually a superb bit of design concept and were about the only even vaguely convincing low floor minibus package that anyone has managed to produce so far. Refinement was lacking, but they were a hell of a step forwards from the Merc breadvans that they replaced. I always found them interesting and pleasant things to drive!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Going out on a limb here, but here goes..... the Optare Solo!

Yes, really! :D

They seem to get flak from all directions, but they were actually a superb bit of design concept and were about the only even vaguely convincing low floor minibus package that anyone has managed to produce so far. Refinement was lacking, but they were a hell of a step forwards from the Merc breadvans that they replaced. I always found them interesting and pleasant things to drive!
The ones fitted with the 6 cylinder Cummins engines have no shortage of power either. I've found the Solo SRs to be quite well built with few rattles. People give them lots of hate but it is a design that has proven reliable and has stood the test of time. Ones built prior to 04 plate with the older Allison gearbox are known to be very tuneful.

The first Solos entered service 25 years ago this year and i can guarantee at the time the usual group of people would've complained about them not being a "proper" bus and how they wouldn't last, yet fast forward 2-3 decades and even Stagecoach still have examples 20+ years old in service. They've certainly aged far better than Dennis Darts of the same era imo.

Swanny200

I think Liverpool had them along with the Neoplan N4009, Arriva North West seemed to like rarities, I don't think there was much wrong with the Neoplans either, maybe the reason they were so under rated was that it was such a small sub fleet that it was hard to get bits for them if anything went wrrong.

Megafuss

From a personal point of view I think the Plaxton Panther LE is an overlooked and underrated vehicle when it comes to interurban express services - which probably explains the limited appeal and use.

It seems operators would rather get a Streetdeck and whack some high backed seating. But the LE actually looks the part and also delivers comfort the many times I've used them across the Forth

Re the Prismas. I was one of those folk that preferred riding the X56 from Middlesbrough to Scarborough instead of the far quicker X93, just so I could sample them. My bum did not appreciate it though!

Non Multi

Don't think you can call the worlds best-selling bus at approx 60,000 as under-rated to be honest.

Might not have sold well here, but we are the exception, it's the number one choice for much of Europe.

Evobus (Mercedes-Benz) should have a lightweight integral midibus in their product line up if they want substantial UK orders. There's demand for midibuses in mainland Europe, so it's certainly not a UK specific niche.

nw1

Established Member
I'll second you on the Lynx, they were great, such a step forward on from the National, they were quick, drove and rode well and gave a good ride.

I had to look it up but this looks like the single-decker that Southampton Citybus had quite a few examples of in the 1990s, and into the early 00s. Pretty decent, solid bus if it's the one I'm thinking of. I think Safeguard had several new in the mid-late 80s, is that the same type?

What about that Leyland double-decker that came in during the mid to late 1980s? Not sure what type it was but it didn't seem to last long, again perhaps introduced at the wrong time (the VRs still had plenty of life in them!) I'm not sure of the model but it was introduced during late nationalisation (so some examples had NBC livery).

Towers

Established Member
I had to look it up but this looks like the single-decker that Southampton Citybus had quite a few examples of in the 1990s, and into the early 00s. Pretty decent, solid bus if it's the one I'm thinking of. I think Safeguard had several new in the mid-late 80s, is that the same type?

What about that Leyland double-decker that came in during the mid to late 1980s? Not sure what type it was but it didn't seem to last long, again perhaps introduced at the wrong time (the VRs still had plenty of life in them!) I'm not sure of the model but it was introduced during late nationalisation (so some examples had NBC livery).
Hmm. Definitely a Leyland? I can only think Olympian, some of those carried NBC livery - as below! They certainly weren't short lived though, hugely successful design!

Last edited by a moderator:

gmaguire

I've always been a fan of Dennis Tridents, particularly the vast batches Stagecoach London had around East London back in the day. A simple, tuneful and relatively comfortable workhorse which received much stick back in the day, but has stood the test of time and just gets on with the job. The fact there's still plenty of the original S-BWC/T-KPU batch around with small operators on school services 23+ years since they were new is testament to this.

The ones in Norwich are now reaching Bristol VR levels of longevity with First Eastern Counties, and with a considerably more arduous earlier life as well.
What stick did they receive back in the day? I’ve never heard a bad word about the Trident. In fact I think they’re a bit overrated.

Towers

Established Member
What stick did they receive back in the day? I’ve never heard a bad word about the Trident. In fact I think they’re a bit overrated.
I've always thought they were regarded as a bit inferior to the Volvo B7 alternative. Thought of as a bit of a Dart-esque lightweight, perhaps?

nw1

Established Member
Hmm. Definitely a Leyland? I can only think Olympian, some of those carried NBC livery - as below! They certainly weren't short lived though, hugely successful design!
Yes, they were the one, I swear I remember a Leyland logo, maybe I was thinking of something else very similar. Also maybe in my part of the world (Solent to Bath/Bristol, broadly) there were not so many examples.
As for the Lynx, Southampton one also pictured below! :)

(Neither are my own pics!)
Yes, that's the one. They were widely used on Southampton services in the 90s, originally they ran on the 52 to Petersfield (which was Citybus operated for a while) but in perhaps the mid-90s started being used (mixed with Atlantean(?) double-deckers) on a wide range of city routes. Still used in the early 00s on the 8/8A which featured quite a range of types on various diagrams: Atlanteans(?) on some journeys and the smaller 'Eco-Bus' single-decker on others.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
From a personal point of view I think the Plaxton Panther LE is an overlooked and underrated vehicle when it comes to interurban express services - which probably explains the limited appeal and use.

It seems operators would rather get a Streetdeck and whack some high backed seating. But the LE actually looks the part and also delivers comfort the many times I've used them across the Forth
For the size of vehicle the capacity is very poor, a standard Panther of the same size offers around 15 more seats and a toilet. They're also underpowered and struggle with the hills on the M90, ideally they should've been built on the B11RLE chassis instead of the B8RLE.

The Wright Commuter was (in concept) a far better solution to get round the wheelchair issue, it also has the same seat capacity despite being 3 metres shorter and retained some underfloor luggage space.

Swanny200

I always thought the Leyland Titan was under rated, had the delays in production been sorted, it would have been more than just LT that would have got them in bigger batches, but even after all that, when London decided to get shot of them, they lasted well into the 90s and 2000s with other operators. I remember Nu Venture in Medway had a few

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I always thought the Leyland Titan was under rated, had the delays in production been sorted, it would have been more than just LT that would have got them in bigger batches, but even after all that, when London decided to get shot of them, they lasted well into the 90s and 2000s with other operators. I remember Nu Venture in Medway had a few
It was a bus far in advance of its time with technological innovations, etc. The trouble was that few operators outside the big cities required (or thought they required) these advances, or were willing to pay for them. Anti-London bias also probably played a part, but the Park Royal workforce didn't help matters exactly. When London Transport pitted Titan v Metrobus at Sidcup garage the Titan was the winner by a country mile in most respects!

Towers

Established Member
Yes, they were the one, I swear I remember a Leyland logo, maybe I was thinking of something else very similar. Also maybe in my part of the world (Solent to Bath/Bristol, broadly) there were not so many examples.

Yes, that's the one. They were widely used on Southampton services in the 90s, originally they ran on the 52 to Petersfield (which was Citybus operated for a while) but in perhaps the mid-90s started being used (mixed with Atlantean(?) double-deckers) on a wide range of city routes. Still used in the early 00s on the 8/8A which featured quite a range of types on various diagrams: Atlanteans(?) on some journeys and the smaller 'Eco-Bus' single-decker on others.
Yup, they were indeed a Leyland (and later Volvo!) product :) Solent Blue Line had a good few, picture below! So'ton City Bus soldiered on with their Atlanteans into Firstgroup ownership and they never really bought the next generation of deckers, First eventually replacing the Atlanteans with their standard Volvo low floor single deckers.

The Lynxes were also regular performers on the 727 & 747 Portsmouth express services!
(Image below shows Olympian H734DDL)

Attachments

• 15535002491_09bae7c994_b.jpg
    15535002491_09bae7c994_b.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 17

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'll second you on the Lynx, they were great, such a step forward on from the National, they were quick, drove and rode well and gave a good ride.
Cardiff Bus had a load of them. They flew up Penylan Hill as if it were level ground. Likewise the hills on the 49 and 50 to Llanrumney. A few of the second series were sold to a company near Shrewsbury in 2008. They turned up on rail replacements from Shrewsbury towards Aberystwyth a few times.

Indeed. I'd say the Ailsa is more underrated south of the border - barring Black Prince, the famous West Midlands PTE examples, the South Yorkshire Van-Hools and the London A-SUU trio - as they were far more popular in Scotland. Glasgow/Strathclyde and Dundee in particular were both meccas for the type.
Cardiff Bus had 36 of them and bought a few more second hand. They are the longest serving fleet to date running from 1982 to 2007. The low floor Dennis Darts almost caught up (1997 to 2022) although no individual vehicle came close. The S reg Darts went a few years ago.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
IIRC they gained the Frydent moniker due to a number of fires. I remember a mechanic commenting that they drank engine oil when I queried the bus getting a daily top-up of almost 10 litres!

317 forever

Established Member
They even became as good as the standard double-deck for Merseybus once withdrawals from London got underway.

Merseybus was 1 of 4 operators in the North West I remember taking Marshall-bodied single-decks, the others being Halton, Warrington & Maynes. There were many for First London too. I loved these but they were not very popular.

alex397

Established Member
Mercedes Citaro. Well known for being prone to catching fire and unreliable with many operators, but every Citaro I've been on has seemed to have a much better build quality and engine than the equivalents from Wright and ADL.
I’m quite a fan of the Citaro. They can have a bit of a wierd seating layout, but they have a much smoother ride than a lot of the light-weight rubbish that is sadly popular with operators in the UK. It doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall apart when it goes along a bumpy road or when the engine is idling.

From an enthusiast’s point of view, I think they look and sound wonderful too! When gricing around the UK, I do try to track them down for a ride. Not many in the South East, but quite a few examples with Uno, Go Ahead London (on the 108 Blackwall Tunnel route) and the Brighton & Hove bendies. I won’t list the other operators.

As there haven’t been many new orders for Citaros over the last few years, they will certainly become rarer.

One reason I’ve heard they are not very numerous is that apparently the support for operators isn’t very good from Evobus.

Status
Not open for further replies.