• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: What bus adverts tell you "you're home"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I was having a discussion with my better half and (don't ask) but I quoted "Sadie the Bra Lady". I explained that when I worked in Co Durham, you would have buses with this advert on the rear extolling the virtues of this lady's lingerie shop.

As well as the famous "SHOP AT BINNS", what are those bus adverts (currently or in the past) that tell you that you're close to home?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jp4712

In Manchester many years ago, that would have been adverts for Sutcliffe's Tripe or 'Fenning's Little Healers' (I don't even know what they were!). Also on Manchester buses there were many adverts for 'Quick's for Ford' and the famous SELNEC 'Hire a... or a... or even a ...' as you can see on the photo below (click to go through to bigger version on Flickr).

SELNEC PTE 7001, Museum of Transport, Manchester, July 2014 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In London I only remember the ads for London Transport's own rover tickets, particularly the Red Rover, although Green Rovers and Twin Rovers (red bus and Underground) featured later on too. Funnily enough, the ads I do remember were on Southern Electric trains, at the carriage ends, and for years you saw London and Manchester Assurance Company ads to the virtual exclusion of any others. While I was writing this I remembered ads that used to appear on the front of loads of RT buses in the late 1950s for a drink called Idris with the memorable(!) strapline 'I DRINK IDRIS WHEN I'S DRI', which must have offended my spelling sensibilities in that I recollect it sixty years later!

Porte Molitor

Hello everyone, first post. Back in the late 80s Reading, it would have to be Hickies music shop. Used to be on both Reading Transport and Alder Valley / Beeline buses. In Oxford around the same time it would have been Morrells Brewery on the Oxford buses, and later on Fox FM on both Oxford and the little Thames Transit minibuses

Status
Not open for further replies.