• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] What station is highest from local ground level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
West Dulwich?
West Dulwich has a low bridge over the South Circular (4.4m headroom) so isn't much higher than Shortlands - though the two lots of steps on my daily commute many years ago kept me fit!

The most spectacular I can think of is Valle Aurelia in the NW suburbs of Rome, where the FS station is on a modern viaduct several floors above street level. No idea of the actual height difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Parts of the Hamburg Hochbahn, an appropriate name. It seemed to be a long way up at Baumwall after visiting Miniature Wunderland. Also some of the Paris Metro stations, such as La Chapelle on Ligne 2.

Ash Vale feels fairly high up at the end where the entrance is, although I don't know that it breaks any records.

Overseas, the top level of Broadway Junction is quite a long way up.

TheGrew

My local Newton-le-Willows now that the old Motorail access road has been blocked off as private access to the old station Pub (and previously hotel).

kieron

Established Member
Hawarden Bridge is another one where the station is on a bridge over the nearest road. It's a private road with no direct access to the station, and I don't know how much clearance it has.

alangla

Partick is pretty high up on a viaduct. The platforms are at roof level to the surrounding buildings.

SynthD

Simply elevated enough for a small truck to go under is common. I’m interested in where the local ground level requires it to be higher than necessary just for the traffic in the arches.
Looking through some of these on google street view it seems like all urban lines were planned around a minimally elevated station.

Gathursty

Established Member
Heath High Level
Kearsley if you ignore Station Road and look at Stoneclough Road.
Pomona (Metrolink)

HSP 2

Glasgow central station I know that the end nearest the Clyde is on a viaduct. but I'm not sure how it gets to street level at Gordon? street as both Hope street and Union streets both look be near level.

bramling

Veteran Member
For LU, based on 'station depth' spreadsheet from an FOI request (which I mentioned in a previous topic), the highest rail level compared to ground level outside station is Greenford, at 10.2 metres (the NR bay will be the same). Second is East Putney (8.0m)

Greenford must be in with a shout at being one of the highest. Though the ascent on the escalators at London Bridge (HL) feels similar.

etr221

Something that has just come to my attention is that the New York Subway Smith-9th Street Station, in Brooklyn, NY is 87.5 feet, 26.7m above ground level - to cater for sailing ships on adjacent canal.

unlevel42

Yes but, bizarrely, quite some distance above the nearest road, which is even deeper in the same cutting.
Isolated from roads as it is access to/from Middlewood station is up to the steps to the old railway track(now Middlewood Way) then in either direction up to roads at Middlewood/High Lane.
The path down the embankment is to a farm and a campsite track at the valley floor. Access to these is to cross the river and up to the road on other side. This would be pointless (and risky*) as you would just go down to come up the other side and does not help you get anywhere.

*Avoid all of Middlewood Road between Norbury Hollow Crossing towards Poynton as it is narrow, bendy and no footway with very fast local traffic(and bus).
Train tickets to Middlewood are valid via Disley or Hazel Grove easements.

Balham’s another elevated South London one, at least at platform level, similarly Selhurst (at the country end) and Purley Oaks, where the line is on an embankment above the car park level and the street on the east side.

adamedwards

Vauxhall is particularly painful if you have started from the Victoria Line running up the escalator, the stairs up from the sub surface tube booking hall and then the mega stairs to the platforms. But I appreciate not exactly what the OP had in mind.

unlevel42

Does not fit the criteria but if it's vertigo you want then New Mills Central is a must. Photo from alamy
The footpath(s) between Central and New Mills Newtown must also break a few records for altitude and attitude and being the most interesting in the country.
And of course there is the Rock Tavern with its beer garden just where and when you need it.

Derbyshire Wayfarer £6 70 for over 60s from Sheffield as well.

alistairlees

Established Member
Until the 1980s Fairlie station was called Fairlie High. Despite the name, it's not.

D6975

Established Member
Several South London stations have been mentioned (including some with level access!) but nobody has mentioned the GOBLIN yet in the North of London. There are several stations well above street level.

This picture (from the Wiki article about the station) tells you all you need to know about the height of the platforms above street level at Paris Montparnasse!
The current Montparnasse is way back on Av. du Maine - it did a 'Blackpool North' when it was rebuilt in 1966-69. This is why the Metro access is so hopeless today - the old terminal site is now occupied by the controversial Tour de Montparnasse.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Heading back to Strathclyde, Clydebank is fairly well seperated from surrounding streets. May not be exactly what the OP is looking for, but it certainly stands out in this regard in comparison to the other stations in the Clydebank area. The 1st floor of the tenaments on Kilbowie Rd (westbound end of the station on the westbound platform) are roughly at track level.

AM9

Veteran Member
Several South London stations have been mentioned (including some with level access!) but nobody has mentioned the GOBLIN yet in the North of London. There are several stations well above street level.
Yes, I've always thought the climb down from the GOBlin platform to street level then back up again to the westbound NLL platform was more than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.