• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Whats the furthest an un-rebuilt class 73 has made it off the southern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driverd

As the title suggests - I'm curious to find out how far an unrebuilt class 73 (73/0, 73/1 or 73/2) has made it off the southern region.

I'll accept answers where hauled by another loco, but please clarify this if so.

Needless to say, class 73/9s do not count. For the uninitiated, the GBRf locos often used on test trains, and Caledonian Sleeper locos do not count.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool, a pair made it to nearly Paignton on a charter and another pair staggered up the wcml and ended up doing one of the brum branches, and they definitely did reading to new st on XC services occasionally

Green tractor

They have made it to Birmingham new street on Virgin CrossCountry trains, The Birmingham Cross city line on a railtour. Also I think they were used as a coupling adaptor to drag SR units to Crewe works in the late 90s

fgwrich

Established Member
Thanks to GBRf, 73141 has made it to Fort William. It was in consist with a 56 though.

And Penzance - hauled down in consist for the Long Rock open day. Though I’m sure other 73s have made it down there too.

On Moderation
Thanks to GBRf, 73141 has made it to Fort William. It was in consist with a 56 though.

And Penzance - hauled down in consist for the Long Rock open day. Though I’m sure other 73s have made it down there too.
A pair of 73/2s made it to Craigentinny - they were hauled, though, and were for use as coupling translators for an HST set being transferred south.

JohnMcL7

73119 made it to the Keith and Dufftown railway (Moray, Scotland) in 2006 although it was carried there by road.

Last edited:

Ianigsy

The Merseyrail-based 73/0s had a couple of trips to North Wales in the early 1990s.

AJM580

A pair of 73s reached Kings Lynn (73103 & 73129) during 1990, and some 73/2 were stored at Norwich. 73129 popped up again at Newport (South Wales) in May 1997

Last edited:

driverd

Ah yes - I forgot about the Liverpool lot. Seems to figure with the 3rd rail.

Interesting to see one made it to Fort William (even if hauled).

Under BR, were they generally doubled up for their cross country adventures? I'm quite surprised they managed that range on their small diesel tanks (and, infact, that they managed to perform well enough given the low power output).

Very interesting though - by all means keep these interesting locations coming!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Back in the early 80s I saw them at Salisbury (all right, that is still the Southern) and Coventry. The most surprising sighting of a 73 though was at West Brompton c 1990, with a Deltic. This was before preserved diesels were allowed to operate under power on BR tracks, so the 73 was presumably supposed to be taking the Deltic somewhere. But the Deltic was not only very audibly under power, but it was leading the 73.

I never did find out what was going on - had the 73 failed? Had someone decided they couldn't be bothered to run round at a reversal point?

On Moderation
How did this "translating" work
The HST stock has Alliance couplers, which are compatible with drophead buckeye couplers. 73s have drophead buckeyes, so one end had the coupler raised and buffers retracted to couple to the HST stock, the other end had the coupler dropped so the loco (a 66?) could couple using the drawhook and buffers.

The exile

Established Member
Liverpool, a pair made it to nearly Paignton on a charter and another pair staggered up the wcml and ended up doing one of the brum branches, and they definitely did reading to new st on XC services occasionally
The “brum branch” concerned being Redditch on Pathfinder’s 25th birthday bash. 73s from Watford Junction to Redditch.

StripeyNick

In the late 90s/early 00s, they regularly came to Cardiff for tyre turning. I'm pretty sure they were always sent along with something else though

TukayAway

Back in the early 80s I saw them at Salisbury (all right, that is still the Southern) and Coventry. The most surprising sighting of a 73 though was at West Brompton c 1990, with a Deltic. This was before preserved diesels were allowed to operate under power on BR tracks, so the 73 was presumably supposed to be taking the Deltic somewhere. But the Deltic was not only very audibly under power, but it was leading the 73.

I never did find out what was going on - had the 73 failed? Had someone decided they couldn't be bothered to run round at a reversal point?
I have a feeling that the 73 was meant to tow it from Stewarts Lane to somewhere but developed a fault and the decision was made to let the Deltic run to avoid delays and congestion. I'm sure I read this in a copy of RAIL some time ago with a history of the Deltic Preservation Society, and I don't think it was an isolated incident either.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Under BR, were they generally doubled up for their cross country adventures? I'm quite surprised they managed that range on their small diesel tanks (and, infact, that they managed to perform well enough given the low power output).

Yes, although that did not prevent one such pair overheating and failing at Fenny Compton, oops!

Strathclyder

Established Member

Took me a second to remember why this was ringing a bell, I caught this railtour as it headed back south at Anniesland (can't quite recall the route it took beyond Partick*; need to consult Six Bells me thinks). Seeing a 56 there was unusual enough (the closest one had gotten prior to this was the prior year's Grangemouth - Fort William oil train trials running through nearby Maryhill, itself a first for that class), but an unrebuilt 73 trumps that by some margin I think!

*: they went via Glasgow Central Low Level and Rutherglen

They have made it to Birmingham new street on Virgin CrossCountry trains
Didn't a pair - rather infamously - make it to New Street on a XC train in the early 80s?

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
A pair made it to New Street in the school summer holidays in either 1981 or 1982 (can’t remember which but I was definitely at high school and trusted to roam the West Midlands). Pretty sure they were 108 and 134 but they caused quite a stir amongst the denizens of the end of platforms 8/9

norbitonflyer

Established Member
A pair made it to New Street in the school summer holidays in either 1981 or 1982 (can’t remember which but I was definitely at high school and trusted to roam the West Midlands). Pretty sure they were 108 and 134 but they caused quite a stir amongst the denizens of the end of platforms 8/9
Probably tghe same pair I saw at Coventry (see my post above) unless it was more than a one-off. I thought it was 1980 but I could be mistaken

D1537

73108+73134 21/8/82 1M87 1105 Portsmouth-Manchester (to BHM), 1O92 1423 Manchester-Portsmouth (from BHM).

fgwrich

Established Member
A pair of 73/2s made it to Craigentinny - they were hauled, though, and were for use as coupling translators for an HST set being transferred south.

The HST stock has Alliance couplers, which are compatible with drophead buckeye couplers. 73s have drophead buckeyes, so one end had the coupler raised and buffers retracted to couple to the HST stock, the other end had the coupler dropped so the loco (a 66?) could couple using the drawhook and buffers.

And not for the first time either, as GBRf have, on a number of occasions, used 73s for that purpose in the past.

206 + 212 Plymouth Laira to Eastleigh Works

204 + 205
Willesden to Laira

Trackman

Established Member
73108+73134 21/8/82 1M87 1105 Portsmouth-Manchester (to BHM), 1O92 1423 Manchester-Portsmouth (from BHM).
Did 73's work to Manchester Piccadilly on a passenger once in the 80's?
Ringing bells in my head

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I have a feeling that the 73 was meant to tow it from Stewarts Lane to somewhere but developed a fault and the decision was made to let the Deltic run to avoid delays and congestion. I'm sure I read this in a copy of RAIL some time ago with a history of the Deltic Preservation Society, and I don't think it was an isolated incident either.
Thanks - I have often wondered about the background. Although you do wonder how the 73 got back to the Southern, if that was the reason!

It's just come back to me that I think the Deltic was Gordon Highlander

cce

one lived at Fairwater yard in Taunton in the late 00s for the purpose of shunting the HOBC.

Though theoretically that's not far at all from the old southern at Yeovil etc

Status
Not open for further replies.