• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: when have bus companies "renamed" a destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On London's 122 route Middle Park Avenue destination became Eltham Green, bringing it into line with other routes, though locals always knew it as the Yorkshire Grey in any case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
The time honoured London destination 'West Kilburn' changed to Queen's Park Station.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
First Huddersfield invented a suburb "Moorhill" for their 370 service, which for years served Moor Hill Road in the Salendine Nook area. There isn't a place called "Moorhill", just Lindley Moor which is up a hill from the town centre.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On London's 122 route Middle Park Avenue destination became Eltham Green, bringing it into line with other routes, though locals always knew it as the Yorkshire Grey in any case.
Adding to above, I've been told that Eltham, Yorkshire Grey is now on bus blinds, years after the hostelry of that name closed and was demolished!

ejstubbs

Kind of the opposite of the Scottish thing of putting "The" at the start of something to make it sound grander (often applied to whisky brands but also referring to Waverley Station in Edinburgh as "The Waverley").

I've lived in Edinburgh for more than 20 years and I've never heard anyone refer to Waverley station as "The Waverley". Maybe in jest, a bit like "That London"?

PS Waverley, the world's last seagoing paddle steamer is often referred to as "The Waverley". But that's the same as people calling RMS Titanic "The Titanic", HMS Ark Royal "The Ark Royal" and so on.

L401CJF

Established Member
I wouldnt know, when I was younger the buses all showed a destination called 'Black/Green Blank'!

Status
Not open for further replies.