• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Which major UK town has the least direct route from London?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steddenm

Can I include an Irish town on this...

Dún Laoghaire to London is...

Either...

Dún Laoghaire - Rosslare Europort (IÉ)
Rosslare Europort - Fishguard Harbour (Stena)
Fishguard Harbour - Swansea (TFW)
Swansea - Paddington (GWR)

Or...

Dún Laoghaire - Dublin Connolly (DART)
Connolly - Dublin Port (BUS)
Dublin Port - Holyhead (Stena)
Holyhead- Euston (AWC)

Or according to Irish Rail....

Dún Laoghaire - Dublin Connolly (DART)
Dublin Connolly - Belfast Lanyon Place (IÉ)
Lanyon Place - Belfast Port (BUS)
Belfast Port - Cairnryan (Stena)
Cairnryan - Ayr (BUS)
Ayr - Glasgow Central (SCR)
Glasgow Central - Euston (AWC)

si404

Established Member
Is the Dún Laoghaire - Holyhead ferry not running?

Anyway, the going via Dublin Port isn't much of a detour - though obviously going via Rosslare is somewhat, and Glasgow very definitely is!

xotGD

Established Member
Cape Town to London via Dubai on Emirates. Not only a big dogleg, but via a different continent!

mmh

Established Member
Is the Dún Laoghaire - Holyhead ferry not running?

Anyway, the going via Dublin Port isn't much of a detour - though obviously going via Rosslare is somewhat, and Glasgow very definitely is!

Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire ferries stopped about five years ago, they're all to Dublin now. Google's public transport planner will sometimes send you from North Wales to London via Ireland and Scotland in the early hours of the day. Perhaps planners will be more likely to at the moment due to the slow and infrequent rail connections from Holyhead to London.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Belfast to Liverpool is and that would be a lot shorter.

Hold on a minute here:

When I did geography classes in primary school many years ago, I am absolutely sure that Liverpool is north of Holyhead, and Belfast is north of Dublin last time I looked at an atlas.

I have done a very quick straight line measurement on Google Maps, with Liverpool - Belfast being 145.5 miles (rounded to nearest quarter mile) and Liverpool - Dublin being 134.75 miles. Holyhead - Dublin is 67.25 miles and Holyhead - Belfast is 103 miles.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Auckland :D well somebody did say "major town" and nowhere did it mention "in the UK!"

SouthWalesSam

I always find Bude a pain to get to, although that does twist the rules quite a bit! It's still seems to be in the ticketing database and the bus is included in the National Rail part! But then again no tracks for a while!
Just checked and it's still in Trust!!

si404

Established Member
No. Australia is not half a world from the UK.
And Auckland is not in Australia!

Anything over 114.6 degrees (2 radians) off is reached shorter by going into the centre, turning, and heading back to the surface (2 radiuses). Basic geometry.

Auckland's Andalusian antipode being just over 1000 miles from London suggests that digging straight through without turning in the centre, and then turning northwest on reaching the surface in the Pacific is going to be less distance than staying on the surface - about 3000 miles less by my reckoning (~8000 miles vs ~11000 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.