• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[trivia] Which stations are open 24 hours a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Are all major airport stations open 24-hours a day? The OP mentioned Manchester Airport which would be understandable seeing as it's the north's major airport hub even after the rise of more point-to-point flights, but what about the local Gatwick Airport station as well?
Gatwick Airport has a frequent enough overnight service to be open all night with passengers waiting on the platforms. Manchester Airport doesn't. Southampton Airport Parkway platforms can't be closed off (although the station buildings (and the airport itself) are locked up).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorcerer

Gatwick Airport has a frequent enough overnight service to be open all night with passengers waiting on the platforms. Manchester Airport doesn't. Southampton Airport Parkway platforms can't be closed off (although the station buildings (and the airport itself) are locked up).
Thanks for the info. I can sort of understand with Gatwick seeing as it's a busier airport, but then perhaps that's not as relevant as the facilities at the station rather than passenger numbers.

Trainfan2019

It used to have a 24 hour refreshment facility, which was pretty unusual. (Holyhead also had a 24 hour facility linked to sailing times)

However I suspect you would be quickly moved on these days between around 0040 and 0430 as there'd be no reason for you to be there.
Intriguing about 24 hour refreshments at Crewe. When did this end and where was it in the station?

midland1

In the old BR timetables they use to list which stations had 24 refreshments. From memory Euston, B'ham NS, Crewe, Carlisle, Leeds, York, Newcastle Bristol TM, Holyhead. Also Sheffield and Darlington for a while. One or to closed for an hour or two for cleaning.

I want to say York is open 24/7, I’ve certainly been there at some ungodly hours and never found it locked, though this may potentially have been a little “unofficially open” shall we say

greyman42

Established Member
I want to say York is open 24/7, I’ve certainly been there at some ungodly hours and never found it locked, though this may potentially have been a little “unofficially open” shall we say
As far as i am aware it is open, no "unofficially" about it. Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "unofficially"?

And more specifically which stations would you run into no problems being at 24 hours a day?
Presumably the thameslink 24hr stations, Derby, Reading, Manchester Airport, Manchester picadilly. Where else?
Why does Derby remain open?

What is the situation at Peterborough?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why does Derby remain open?
I suspect the OP is basing their view on the last London train arriving (0305) very shortly before the first London train departs (0348). EMR's London services appear to be a near 24 hour a day operation with the ECS movements starting before the last train goes to the depot although I note that for the train to arrive in Derby as late as 0305 it needs to be diverted via Corby.

MikeWM

Established Member
Are all major airport stations open 24-hours a day?

There's a sign outside the toilets on the platform at Stansted Airport station that says they are open '24 hours a day'. Whether that is accurate, or whether only that part of the platform near the ticket office remains open - I've no idea.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There's a sign outside the toilets on the platform at Stansted Airport station that says they are open '24 hours a day'. Whether that is accurate, or whether only that part of the platform near the ticket office remains open - I've no idea.
Quite a gap (five hours?) between last service and first service at Stansted Airport.

nw12398

Exeter St Davids is relatively close to the middle of the Night Riviera route, for which trains stop for an extended period, requiring it to be open (as far as I know) for 24 hours.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Exeter St Davids is relatively close to the middle of the Night Riviera route, for which trains stop for an extended period, requiring it to be open (as far as I know) for 24 hours.
Again, it will be cleared other than for passengers with intention to join the up Night Riviera just after 0100 then it can be locked up once it leaves. The preceding departure from Exeter St Davids is at 2340 for Exmouth with the later train to Plymouth being set down only. The westward Night Riviera doesn't arrive until after 3am.

As far as i am aware it is open, no "unofficially" about it. Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "unofficially"?
It was a bit of a ghost town and it felt like I shouldn’t’ve been there, shall we say

I also happen to be at Leeds station right now waiting on one of the overnight TPEs and can confirm that I’m able to sit in the retail concourse bit, but not access the platforms until closer to the time of my train

Mack91

It was a bit of a ghost town and it felt like I shouldn’t’ve been there, shall we say
I've been and photographed some trains at York in the early hours on a few occasions now. Nobody has ever stopped me, in fact I've had conversations with several members of staff, security and drivers whilst there. As long as I've explained my reason for being there, they seem perfectly happy. Several staff have said things along the lines of "You're keen to be out at this time!" to me. A bit of a joke is fine!

I do agree with the sense of it being a little surreal to see a place that's usually so busy be so empty and quiet.

_toommm_

Established Member
Not allowed on the platforms overnight (except for stranded passengers deemed to be vulnerable). Passengers used to be allowed to sit on the concourse but potentially that has changed and passengers need to wait outside.

Access allowed for the overnight departures shortly before they arrive then locked up again.

Concourse is still open, and gates open fifteen minutes before each departure. Normally littered with lots of drunks whenever I’ve arrived there on the 2am-ish arrival trains.

Sorcerer

I mean Stansted is also a very busy airport so I would probably take them at their word on that one. Maybe there is a few catches though, to the point where it's only a 24-hour station by technicality. Someone else will probably have to confirm that for me.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Piccadilly opens for the overnight trains, though anyone with connections overnight is allowed to stay on the station. So it's open, but not open.

London Paddington stays open all night, as I found out the hard way one Saturday night in January...
Piccadilly is fully open all night. Always a few people kipping on the seats in the concourse - not necessarily obvious whether they are drunk, missed their last train or homeless! However, it can get quite chilly for an 'inside' area. I learned that the hard way!

Trackman

Established Member
Piccadilly is fully open all night. Always a few people kipping on the seats in the concourse - not necessarily obvious whether they are drunk, missed their last train or homeless! However, it can get quite chilly for an 'inside' area. I learned that the hard way!
When I went once late at night they only had the main entrance open (not counting the p1 entrance) with staff keep to undesirables out.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When I went once late at night they only had the main entrance open (not counting the p1 entrance) with staff keep to undesirables out.
Perhaps, but the platforms are definitely still accessible.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Seems to have (at least) hourly arrivals (or departures) from/to London St. Pancras throughout the night, as well as regular service buses to/from East Midlands Parkway.
I did just see a previous comment.

Checked on Real Time Trains and indeed that is the case! 03:05 arrival and 03:48 departure. I didn't realise!

plugwash

Established Member
They lock up the link bridge lounge at night, at least they did last time I was sitting there waiting for the last train to Heald Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.