• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolley Struck by Train in Derby Area 10/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy1501

Currently onboard 1N25 standing at North Staffordshire Junction. Driver has said that 1M73 has been struck by a shopping trolley on the line and that it has totally wrapped itself round the engine - it’s apparently unable to move. Appears to be ongoing for at least an hour at this point.

1D74, 1S55 and 6H62 also appear to be stuck behind it. I suppose the good part is my train hasn’t passed Stenson Junction yet in case that’s a viable diversion route.

Quite a surprising reason for a delay…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Same thing happened same place, same time yesterday with similar effects with the ferals currently reported to be enjoying throwing ballast at standing trains whilst running rings around the BTP who look a bit daft having failed to apprehend them having spotted them and then observed them running away.

It is numerous shopping trolleys, old push chairs etc.

I'm sure they're troubled, have the mental 'elf, do the shopping for their gran in between attacking trains blah blah blah and someone will suggest that banishing them/kicking them in/sending them to somewhere miserable is the wrong thing to do and so forth so can we just cut out the middle man and the debate and agree that they're cretins :lol:

Lucy1501

Driver did mention similar things happening yesterday in his GSM-R call, I’m sat practically right by the cab.

A conductor driver is being sent to my train, 1N25, from Nottingham to get us to divert via Sheet Stores and back to Derby. Apparently it’s going to be a train to train transfer of sorts.

1D74 has performed a wrong direction move back to Stenson Junction and is now heading to Nottingham via Sheet Stores.

MCR247

Established Member
1V68 seems to have departed Derby heading toward Brum so seems like the line away from Derby is clear now

Towers

Established Member
Are these items being chucked off of some sort of bridge or cutting lacking suitably robust fencing?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt you could prevent such behaviour with fencing!

It's a cultural problem more than anything else and there is no punishment that can actually be given that would act as a sufficient deterrent, but that's for another thread. I'm sure it's been debated before!

james60059

I'm sure they're troubled, have the mental 'elf, do the shopping for their gran in between attacking trains blah blah blah and someone will suggest that banishing them/kicking them in/sending them to somewhere miserable is the wrong thing to do and so forth so can we just cut out the middle man and the debate and agree that they're cretins :lol:
Don't forget the "Oh but they're lovely lads and wouldn't hurt a fly" ;)

satisnek

I think you're all reading too much into this. Referring to Lucy1501's original post:
Driver has said that 1M73 has been struck by a shopping trolley on the line and that it has totally wrapped itself round the engine - it’s apparently unable to move.
So a rogue suicidal shopping trolley got onto the tracks and flung itself at 1M73, getting entwined with the unit's underfloor spinny bits thus rendering it immovable.

We can't legislate against such trolleys.

:)

Lucy1501

So a rogue suicidal shopping trolley got onto the tracks and flung itself at 1M73, getting entwined with the unit's underfloor spinny bits thus rendering it immovable.
I guess that’s one way of putting it!

My train eventually got into Derby 90 minutes late. Would’ve been sooner but the Nottingham conductor driver had literally just left Derby enroute to us on 1K77 so had to transfer to our unit.

Staff all round were very good at keeping us informed and the other passengers, despite being disgruntled at the delay, seemed rather happy with the crew.

TrainGeekUK

There was a bike chucked onto the East Grinstead line yesterday killing the evening timetable dead.

These individuals are putting hundreds of lives at risk with this crazy behaviour, not to mention a lot of money for Network Rail repairing damaged signalling systems and the power supply.

exbrel

back in the day there used to have "snow guards" or such to guard against hitting anything on the track, if now out of fashion re-instate them till the "pleasent,helpful, granny errand boys who would not hurt a fly" find some other form of entertainment...

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Unfortunately, putting obstructions on the line is nothing new. When I was a kid, my granny's trip to Kingston was delayed as some yobbo had chucked a tin bath onto the track, and, having touching the third rail, it had welded itself firmly to the rails. Somewhat disturbingly, my granny seemed to find it amusing.

Railcar

In the 1950s, turning a halfpenny into a penny was done by laying the copper coin on a rail and letting a steam train run over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.