• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolleybuses in Bradford (or Huddersfield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlwebus

Hi

On 14 June 1964 I was in Bradford on a steam railway enthusiasts (aka trainspotters) 'shed bash' trip.

We called at Bradford Manningham (Queens Road) , Bradford Hammerton Street, Bradford Low Moor (Lockwood Street?).

I have a vivid memory of standing outside one of the depots in Bradford (others think it might have been Huddersfield Hillhouse [Alder Street?]) watching trolley buses come up a steep hill.

Can anybody solve this mystery and tell me where I might have experienced this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Can you recall whether the trolleybuses were blue (Bradford) or red and cream (Huddersfield)?

Possibly Bradford's Duckworth Lane depot. Huddersfield's was at Longroyd Bridge

Manningham Lane in Bradford was also a trolleybus thoroughfare. I am in the process of moving, and all non essential items packed up, but I seem to recall there was a depot there

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Hammerton Street was West Yorkshire Road Car. Red buses. No trolleybuses.

Vespa

Established Member
Did Bradford and Huddersfield have through running under each other's wires ?

neilmc

I don't think Bradford and Huddersfield trolleybuses ever ran into each other's towns.

The Huddersfield system closed in 1968, Bradford in 1972.

Ken H

On Moderation
There was the 54 Bradford - Huddersfield. But that was a bus. Bradford City, Huddersfield JOC (Joint Omnibus Committee) and Hebble. Later West Yorkhire Road Car replaced Hebble but that was NBC days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't think Bradford and Huddersfield trolleybuses ever ran into each other's towns.

The Huddersfield system closed in 1968, Bradford in 1972.
They couldn't have done, as there was no physical connection between the two systems.

Huddersfield's trollies reached as far as Brighouse, but no connection to the Bradford system. There was a gap in tramway days too - but the two systems were of different gauges anyway.

341o2

Established Member
Furthermore, Bradford was anti trolleybus tours, so nothing like Bournemouth which had Huddersfield 631 pay a visit.
When Bradford's system closed, it was proposed that should a privately owned trolleybus try to operate under its wires, the driver be arrested and charged with theft of electricity

carlwebus

Thank to all responders.

I think I'm more confused than ever!

I think Huddersfield trolley buses were dark red and Bradford green or blue. My "memory" does not include red trolley buses....

BUT, to be more specific: I think I was standing with my back to the engine shed site and the road ran across the front of me and, to my left, swung right and down a quite steep hill.

Looking at Google Street view it seems to me that it might have been Huddersfield (the shed was accessed off Alder Street) or maybe Leeds (Holbeck shed was off Ninevah Road)?

Ken H

On Moderation
Thank to all responders.

I think Huddersfield trolley buses were dark red and Bradford green or blue. My "memory" does not include red trolley buses....

BUT, to be more specific: I think I was standing with my back to the engine shed site and the road ran across the front of me and, to my left, swung right and down a quite steep hill.

Looking at Google Street view it seems to me that it might have been Huddersfield (the shed was accessed off Alder Street) or maybe Leeds (Holbeck shed was off Ninevah Road)?
Bradford buses and trolleybuses were definitely blue.
No trolleybuses in Leeds since well before WW2. No trams in 1964. All buses by then, and they were dark green (Unless it wasnt a corporation bus - they were red or lime green)
Holbeck depot was in Ninevah Rd. There is a Network rail depot there now. Its quite flat round there.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thank to all responders.

It sounds far more likely to me that you saw a Huddersfield trolley, not that I have personal knowledge of the areas concerned.

John B

I think from Hammerton Street you would be able to see Bradford trolleys going up Wakefield Road on the Tong Cemetery service.

carlwebus

I think from Hammerton Street you would be able to see Bradford trolleys going up Wakefield Road on the Tong Cemetery service.
Hi John B.

I think you've cracked it!

With your help I've looked at the current Google Street view of the junction of Bowling Back Lane (from where access was gained to Hammerton Street loco shed) and Wakefield Road - which leads down to Bridge Street. Obviously the road layout is VERY different now but, referring to a 1960s OS of the area and the brdatabase site, it is plain that Hammerton Street shed was located off the Lane between two railways - one to the north of the shed wending round to the north leading to Exchange station and one to the south heading off south through Bowling Tunnel top Low Moor. Wakefield Road did indeed bend round as I previously described and went downhill to Bridge Street. Street view at that point mirrors my memory. The only fault with my memory is that I was not standing with my back to the shed but we had actually walked a little way on the other side of the road towards Bridge Street. Although it was a Sunday there was a succession of trolleybuses coming up that hill (as you say on the Tong Cemetery service).

Sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.