• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trouble using new style mag strip bank card at TVMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Is anyone else having problems having their card accepted for TOD using a new style bank card with the more narrow mag strip? Northern TVMs totally rejecting saying card error. Had to try 3 Avanti TVMs with the third one working on accept number 4. Tried 5 times at the other 2 TVMs. This has only become an issue since my bank gave me this new style card.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is anyone else having problems having their card accepted for TOD using a new style bank card with the more narrow mag strip? Northern TVMs totally rejecting saying card error. Had to try 3 Avanti TVMs with the third one working on accept number 4. Tried 5 times at the other 2 TVMs. This has only become an issue since my bank gave me this new style card.
Don't think it has anything to do with the magstripe - pretty sure that the card number is taken from the chip. Sounds like you may have an intermittently faulty card and may need to get it replaced.

erk

I have often had problems with Nothern TVMs reading my card (for ticket on depearture). But you don't need to put the card into the slot - holding it against the conatctless pad works and is more reliable.

plugwash

Established Member
On nothern TVMs (no idea about other operators) you can also use contactless for TOD, I've seen at least one case where that worked where the slot did not.

gray1404

Established Member
Don't think it has anything to do with the magstripe - pretty sure that the card number is taken from the chip. Sounds like you may have an intermittently faulty card and may need to get it replaced.
Oh right. I've not had any further problems with it elsewhere. Such as when using chip and pin or contactless.

Haywain

Veteran Member
On nothern TVMs (no idea about other operators) you can also use contactless for TOD, I've seen at least one case where that worked where the slot did not.
LNER TVMs also have this facility.

_toommm_

Established Member
I believe some of the new cards are slightly thinner, so sometimes don’t make contact with the chip reader inside the card reader. It happens a lot at work for me.

gray1404

Established Member
I believe some of the new cards are slightly thinner, so sometimes don’t make contact with the chip reader inside the card reader. It happens a lot at work for me.
Yes the card is thinner. You would have thought that the banks and the producers of the chip and pin equipment will be working to an industry standard. So I think it is wrong at the banks have been able to change the thickness of the card.

So what is the solution push the card in that bit further or push it up slightly or what?

Flying Snail

Established Member
Yes the card is thinner. You would have thought that the banks and the producers of the chip and pin equipment will be working to an industry standard. So I think it is wrong at the banks have been able to change the thickness of the card.

So what is the solution push the card in that bit further or push it up slightly or what?

Push in a rail ticket or two underneath it.

Unless a reader ingests the whole card or it has a slot to swipe it through then it is not going to be capable of reading the mag stripe, not that it matters as chip+pin is standard now anyway.

Ediswan

Established Member
I seem to recall this discussion before. The overall thickness of many cards has reduced due to them no longer being embossed. The alllowed thickness of the material prior to embossing has not changed (0.68 - 0.84 mm). The industry standard is ISO/IEC 7810 ID-1.

Wallsendmag

Established Member

Use contacless collection

spag23

On Moderation
The end of ToD is a target, there's very little reason for it now.
So how would I collect my paper ticket? I've read somewhere that you can load tickets onto one of these new-fangled "mobile phone" thingeys. I've actually got one of these, but recently its battery unexpectedly ran out during the final day of a holiday (it was fully charged in the morning). So my four "digital" tickets across Scotland and from Luton Airport would all have been inaccessible. Pay again, plus £100 Penalty Fare? Maybe four times over?
Plus this forum reveals that these booking systems apparently - and surreptitiously - assume you have a railcard, or are a child, if you'd ever applied these criteria before. Ker-ching! More Penalty Fares.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
So how would I collect my paper ticket? I've read somewhere that you can load tickets onto one of these new-fangled "mobile phone" thingeys. I've actually got one of these, but recently its battery unexpectedly ran out during the final day of a holiday (it was fully charged in the morning). So my four "digital" tickets across Scotland and from Luton Airport would all have been inaccessible. Pay again, plus £100 Penalty Fare? Maybe four times over?
Plus this forum reveals that these booking systems apparently - and surreptitiously - assume you have a railcard, or are a child, if you'd ever applied these criteria before. Ker-ching! More Penalty Fares.
You can download your ticket to your mobile device or print it out , choice is yours. Don't tar all online booking sites with the Trainline brush.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And indeed, I don't use it, except where it's the only option available which has been 4 times so far this year.

But on those occasions, you want it to work.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Except for those who want to travel across London. Where, naturally, the claimed "solution" is to fragment things and charge people more for the same service.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well yes otherwise I'm back to the day job, but not for ToD. If you can use technology to book your ticket why not to present it?
We've just had a conversation about how not all tickets are displayable on that technology. Do I need to repeat it? Or you could re-read the last 6 posts.

Haywain

Veteran Member
We've just had a conversation about how not all tickets are displayable on that technology. Do I need to repeat it? Or you could re-read the last 6 posts.
During which conversation it's been pointed out that alternatives are available for those who prefer not to use the technology to display their ticket, so this is not a reason to maintain ToD.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
During which conversation it's been pointed out that alternatives are available for those who prefer not to use the technology to display their ticket, so this is not a reason to maintain ToD.
And the latter part of the conversation has been about tickets that are not available as etickets.

What's my alternative for a Steeton and Silsden to Gatwick ticket?

I'm quite happy to use etickets, but couldn't find an alternative to TOD for that one.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
What's my alternative for a Steeton and Silsden to Gatwick ticket?
Currently, that has to be a paper (CCST) ticket and while that's the case ToD has to be maintained. When there's no ToD there will be an alternative.

AM9

Veteran Member
Well yes otherwise I'm back to the day job, but not for ToD. If you can use technology to book your ticket why not to present it?
Just because somebody has access to some sort of computer on which a ticket can be booked, it doesn't mean that they have access to a printer, or that the device used to book can be carried for the journey (if it is a desktop), even if the traveller owned it (maybe at work or owned by a friend/relative). This is just putting restrictions on some people's ability to travel by rail in some areas.
That is also part of the 'big picture'.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Just because somebody has access to some sort of computer on which a ticket can be booked, it doesn't mean that they have access to a printer, or that the device used to book can be carried for the journey (if it is a desktop), even if the traveller owned it (maybe at work or owned by a friend/relative). This is just putting restrictions on some people's ability to travel by rail in some areas.
That is also part of the 'big picture'.
Postal fulfiment or buy when you get to the station,

Status
Not open for further replies.