• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TS:13 on Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
As the title says really. I have a Mac which obviously wont run TrainSim alone. I've researched this and have found probably the most reliable and in the longterm, easiest way to allow it it run is to use Boot Camp to section a part of the Mac's memory to run Windows. This appears safest too, as Boot Camp is Apple's own system and so must be alright.

The only worry I have is that TS still wont run okay on the Mac. It's a powerful computer but not a gaming one specifically. I read on Steam though that there's sometimes issues with TS running well via this setup? Can anybody shed any light? The Mac is an imac all in one computer with a 21.5" screen. It has 8MB or something and 1TB of something else (RAM or memory? keep getting them wrong way round!). It has a 2.7Ghz, intel core i5 processor. If TS does run okay, will that be okay for the highest graphics settings?

Thanks all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
My father uses a similar iMac, albeit the lower-specced but still worthy i3 3.06GHz model from a few years ago. Clock speed is not the ultimate measure in performance, as the number of cores and a multitude of other system factors also affect this.

RAM (Random Access Memory, where active processes including apps and documents are stored while the computer is on) is measured today in gigabytes (GB). The part with a larger capacity, in your case a spacey 1TB (1000GB!) is the hard drive (HD), where software and documents are stored permanently. Confusion does occur and is understood, what with the similar overlap, but I wanted to be able to clear that up for you.

There is no real distinction to be made from a desktop or workstation computer and a "gaming rig" or even a console. All computers are very similar, if not identical in many cases, and feature common parts and concept, often merely just packaged differently.

In your case, using an Apple system, Boot Camp is an Apple-guaranteed mechanism to allow any user to run Windows, as well as drivers to allow complete operation from the dark side. When running, your computer functions exactly like a PC, so you will need to a copy of Windows (I go for 7) as well as up-to-date security tools.

Virtualisation programs, the most popular being VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop, work in much the same manner but through the native [Mac] OS X interface. I believe they will even allow one to boot the Boot Camp partition, allowing use through either the full or a virtualised interface. However, there are issues with DRM and performance in the latter, but having a setup in this manner allows a great deal of flexibility. A modern, well-specced computer like this fine example you behold should be (dare I say it) a more than capable beast of running simulators, games and so on.

Let us know if you require anything further.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply!

It's probably the best computer I've owned actually...Build quality is second to none really. A bit like a high-end German car!

I will probably use boot camp and Windows 7 64-bit as this is the least the Mac will allow (Was intending to use Windows 7 anyway as it's cheaper than 8 and from what I hear, much better? But Vista would obviously be cheaper still, and given I only need it for sims..)

Thanks again, I will keep you updated!

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for the reply!

It's probably the best computer I've owned actually...Build quality is second to none really. A bit like a high-end German car!

I will probably use boot camp and Windows 7 64-bit as this is the least the Mac will allow (Was intending to use Windows 7 anyway as it's cheaper than 8 and from what I hear, much better? But Vista would obviously be cheaper still, and given I only need it for sims..)

Thanks again, I will keep you updated!

The best advice I can give on this is stay well well clear of Windows Vista :P

Windows 7 should do fine and will be less confusing than Windows 8 which Microsoft seem to have made so backward is it untrue!

Stigy

Established Member
I echo the point made by Crossover. Avoid Windows Vista.

If you can afford to get a Hardrive, you can then get a OEM verison of Win 7.

Chris

I have Vista on my laptop and it's done me okay, but I understand 7 is much nicer. Forgive my ignorance here, but will getting a separate hard drive mean I boot windows externally and thus don't need to use boot camp? Will OEM version be much cheaper?

Stigy

Established Member
Just to update....Finally have Windows installed on the Mac. Wasn't difficult on the surface, but had one or two issues. Apple's Technical support have been second to none!

Had a small issue installing the Apple Mouse and Keyboard (Apple said I would), but it was staring me in the face all the time really, all I needed was the correct drivers, which I've now installed seperately and all's good!

Oh, and TS13 works very well with the highest graphics settings too! Amazing the difference really!

Thanks all that offered advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.