• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TSR at Hitchin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrat

Anybody have any idea why there is a TSR at Hitchin? The restriction may well be older than the solar system now... Is it a Hatfield-esque concern or something?

Used to be pretty impressive flying round that bend at whatever speed the trains used to do!

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Anybody have any idea why there is a TSR at Hitchin? The restriction may well be older than the solar system now... Is it a Hatfield-esque concern or something?

Used to be pretty impressive flying round that bend at whatever speed the trains used to do!

cheers

Anything to do with the engineering work referred to in the "Breakdown (or more)" thread ?

Dunderhead

Aha! That'll be why I thought the trains were running slower down the section that was worked on at the weekend - because they are! Anyone know why this would be? I wonder how the East Coast services manage to keep to time with these restrictions

The Planner

Veteran Member
Because all the trains have an engineering allowance which is in the schedules at prescribed locations to account for this. Up trains have 2 minutes approaching Finsbury Park and down trains have time approaching Peterborough.

Mike C

cheers

There has only been a TSR there for a few days. Last week it was flat out as normal.

D1009

Established Member
Aha! That'll be why I thought the trains were running slower down the section that was worked on at the weekend - because they are! Anyone know why this would be?

If track relaying work has taken place, it's normally a few days before it can be used at line speed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Because all the trains have an engineering allowance which is in the schedules at prescribed locations to account for this. Up trains have 2 minutes approaching Finsbury Park and down trains have time approaching Peterborough.

Yes, but it's not always sufficient, and the TSR can cause trains to be in the wrong order.

Mike C

I pass through there twice every day, and when it started I can't be sure to the day, but it has not been in effect very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.