• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On the Austrian Railjet, I can recommend the apricot (Marillen) and chocolate pancakes, if they're still on the menu.
Have fun.

Apricot and chocolate pancakes sounds lovely, I really must book a visit to Austria including a trip on the RailJet at somepoint. :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
On the Austrian Railjet, I can recommend the apricot (Marillen) and chocolate pancakes, if they're still on the menu.
Have fun.
Thanks. They sound very nice actually, might well try them.
Apricot and chocolate pancakes sounds lovely, I really must book a visit to Austria including a trip on the RailJet at somepoint. :)
I won’t have much time for sightseeing sadly, but I’m certainly looking forward to going to Austria, especially Vienna, transport city!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I won’t have much time for sightseeing sadly, but I’m certainly looking forward to going to Austria, especially Vienna, transport city!

Maybe try the S-bahn, U-bahn or particularly the Trams if you can, they all look quite interesting from what I've seen in videos, lots of very new and old stock. :)

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'll be interested in your OBB reviews, I'm spending 7 odd hours on each in June (in standard).
I'm going on the RJ from Munich to Budapest, then EN to Zurich where I'm getting EC163 "transalpin" to Leoben Hbf via Innsbruck, Zell am See, Bilchshofen & Selzthal.
After that it's on the Czech RJ to Prague before getting an ALX train to Munich.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'll be interested in your OBB reviews, I'm spending 7 odd hours on each in June (in standard).
I'm going on the RJ from Munich to Budapest, then EN to Zurich where I'm getting EC163 "transalpin" to Leoben Hbf via Innsbruck, Zell am See, Bilchshofen & Selzthal.
After that it's on the Czech RJ to Prague before getting an ALX train to Munich.
Whoa! Seven hours in a Grammar IC seat! You must have tolerance, but then again you like them don’t you? I can’t say I do.

Zurich is awesome, you should enjoy that if you like trams/finiculars that sorta thing.
I’m sure you’ll have a great time on your Interrail, either you or FQ told me about it. :)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Whoa! Seven hours in a Grammar IC seat! You must have tolerance, but then again you like them don’t you? I can’t say I do.

Zurich is awesome, you should enjoy that if you like trams/finiculars that sorta thing.
I’m sure you’ll have a great time on your Interrail, either you or FQ told me about it. :)

We've only got 20 minutes in Zurich, but that's only if the Sleepers on time, we'll have to bail at Sargans instead if itsi more than 15 late.

backontrack

Established Member
I think most of us on this forum have to develop a thick skin, such is the number of highly opinionated people on this forum.

Having an opinion and voicing it is not a bad thing, it's the manner in which some people voice those opinions that is sometimes less than pleasant.
Agreed. It's increasingly a good thing, therefore, that some members are very good at treating posters like human beings rather than just opinions. I think that @RichmondCommu was quite good at that.

Enjoy your tour of Europe @TT-ONR-NRN! It sounds fantastic!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Agreed. It's increasingly a good thing, therefore, that some members are very good at treating posters like human beings rather than just opinions.

Indeed, there are thankfully plenty of members who are very helpful at answering questions in a clear and informative way as well as those who can be a bit condescending at times.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Trenitalia La Frecce - FrecciaRossa Executive Class

Travelled: April 2018

Where: Milano Centrale to Verona Porta Nuova

Stock: Frecciarossa 500
(Shame, hoped for the 1000)

Hula, senorés.

Yes, I did just speak Spanish despite this being an Italian review. I do NOT like clichés, so if you thought I was going to say ciao, (or “chau” if you’re a dimly witted Canuck like myself) then you are mistaken, ma amigos.

So this review starts at Milano Centrale (that’s Milan Central to you and me) with me standing there feeling all a bit dazzled because, well - it’s not your average station. Kinda reminds me of pictures I have seen of Grand Central.

And then once I’ve got my head around the impressive structure of the building I make my way to this place: FrecciaClub Lounge. Why? Well, I feel like going on La Frecce (FR to be precise), and I feel like going in Executive class, which grants me access to the FrecciaClub Lounges.

So here we are, the starting point of this journey. :)

CACEA2E5-F218-4837-9991-BB54D79562D2.jpeg

Milano Central - FrecciaClub Lounge:

4229A86D-A730-4FE9-A71E-ABB7ED71CFD3.jpeg
Once you have presented either a Business or Executive ticket, or indeed a valid Freccia ClubCard, to this rather hotel-like Reception shown below, the lounge is yours to use at leisure. It’s a pleasant, modern space with plenty of seating. A hot drinks machine is provided with crisps, biscuits and chocolate wafers available for you to help yourself to. In addition a fridge houses water and soft drinks. Here are some pics.

4D1F80DB-C973-46E4-8C4F-18AC721F0992.jpeg

So a pleasant fifteen minutes were had in this lovely lounge with a Lipton and Italian biscotti before it was time to board. Grr, it was too busy on the platform to photograph the train, but here’s the inside!

Executive class is way the sickest (oh, sorry Brits; top of the draw) of the four classes of service offered on the Frecciarossa 500. The seats aren’t too far off Airline style business class.

6C6B96B5-A8CF-48F0-B3FF-B26DFEB8F6F8.jpeg 36D113FD-5607-4D5D-8FA2-715F7FAC078A.jpeg

These extremely comfortable seats practically wait on you hand and foot - the window blinds open and close at the touch of these buttons (the third is for the overhead light). With <i>this</i> panel here, you can pull a lever to recline your seat into the perfect position for you. The other does the footrests. It’s all automatic, people!

4C78B739-6C52-4294-87A6-8700DBCACC8D.jpeg

Your table can be found at the side of your seat. Under it is a complimentary magazine.

Business class was rammed, however no one else entered Executive, so I grinned to myself as we lurched out of Milan, looking forward to enjoying the sole Executive carriage (and of course the complete novelty that is the on board conference room) to myself!

So I reclined and a friendly staff member with dark black hair and very heavy accent came and offered me some complimentary newspapers from the newspaper trolley. Well I don’t know any teenagers that read newspapers - I certainly don’t so I politely declined, but that’s a nice service to offer all the same.

A7D714DF-060E-43CD-80F8-47AEF60F46BE.jpeg

The refreshment trolley followed, pushed by a very attractive, slim brunette also with accent, who handed me a heated towel and then served me a small bottle of water, crisps and (drumroll please!) a Cloudy Vee. I’m so happy that Frecciarossa do those! Had I been travelling on an evening service I would have been entitled to a small meal, however this was an early morning train.

49F922D3-F08E-4BF8-9577-2D878AF67D61.jpeg

I enjoyed a fast journey through Northern Italy, with a few glances of the Alps every now and then. Television screens in the carriage give you a view from a different perspective - the driver’s. It also tells you the current speed of the train, too. Talking about speed blame that for the poor photo quality of the scenery, I did my best!

After a short while, the train rolled into Brescia. Still, no other passengers joined Executive class, so I left my seat and moved into the Executive Conference Room which is reserved for Executive class passengers only.

If you don’t know about it - let me fill you in ;) Within the Executive class carriage there is a compartment (with closeable doors) with a long conference table surrounded by comfortable, leather deskchairs. These also revolve. The flatscreen TV is a nice feature too!

E17DBADC-1D3F-4AC3-B74E-6D917EC0F90A.jpeg 58B9BBA3-C282-4319-8841-5A096BAA46C8.jpeg

So I closed the door behind me, sat in one of the leather deskchairs and turned it to face the window. Here some nice views of Lake Garda were enjoyed before the train came into Peschiera Del Garde, where I returned to the still-empty Executive saloon and enjoyed my second Cloudy V of the day for the remaining ten minutes.

All too soon Verona loomed into view and it was time to alight. I enjoyed a nice packet of peanuts and a Coke from Verona’s FrecciaClub Lounge :)

So - my opinions. WOW. Executive is awesome, and I especially like the feature of closing the window blinds and moving the seat/footrest position without having to lift a finger :D :D I would have preferred a little more than crisps to eat for my ninety minute journey as I had skipped breakfast to catch the train, but hey ho, I don’t eat much anyway.

Is it worth the extra over Business?

DEFINITELY! I sat in a Business seat to try it out, it is hard and too low. I am about 5ft9 and the ultra hard headrest dug into my back. Not good. The five Business class coaches were all rammed too, unlike the single Executive section which only consists of sixteen seats and was empty!

Well I hope you enjoyed the review. Next to come will be:

ÖBB Eurocity First Class
Verona - Innsbruck: 16TH APRIL

ÖBB RailJet First Class
Innsbruck - Salzburg &
Salzburg - Vienna: 20TH APRIL

So I hope you’ll join me for those. But until next time,

- Stuff Business class. You can do better!

- Aim for an evening service if you want a hot meal.

- Recline (using your automated lever)

And chill.
AU REVOIR :p
Z 8-)

fowler9

Established Member
Trenitalia La Frecce - FrecciaRossa Executive Class

Travelled: April 2018

Where: Milano Centrale to Verona Porta Nuova

Stock: Frecciarossa 500
(Shame, hoped for the 1000)

Hula, senorés.

Yes, I did just speak Spanish despite this being an Italian review. I do NOT like clichés, so if you thought I was going to say ciao, (or “chau” if you’re a dimly witted Canuck like myself) then you are mistaken, ma amigos.

So this review starts at Milano Centrale (that’s Milan Central to you and me) with me standing there feeling all a bit dazzled because, well - it’s not your average station. Kinda reminds me of pictures I have seen of Grand Central.

And then once I’ve got my head around the impressive structure of the building I make my way to this place: FrecciaClub Lounge. Why? Well, I feel like going on La Frecce (FR to be precise), and I feel like going in Executive class, which grants me access to the FrecciaClub Lounges.

So here we are, the starting point of this journey. :)

View attachment 44945

Milano Central - FrecciaClub Lounge:

View attachment 44948
Once you have presented either a Business or Executive ticket, or indeed a valid Freccia ClubCard, to this rather hotel-like Reception shown below, the lounge is yours to use at leisure. It’s a pleasant, modern space with plenty of seating. A hot drinks machine is provided with crisps, biscuits and chocolate wafers available for you to help yourself to. In addition a fridge houses water and soft drinks. Here are some pics.

View attachment 44949

So a pleasant fifteen minutes were had in this lovely lounge with a Lipton and Italian biscotti before it was time to board. Grr, it was too busy on the platform to photograph the train, but here’s the inside!

Executive class is way the sickest (oh, sorry Brits; top of the draw) of the four classes of service offered on the Frecciarossa 500. The seats aren’t too far off Airline style business class.

View attachment 44952 View attachment 44956

These extremely comfortable seats practically wait on you hand and foot - the window blinds open and close at the touch of these buttons (the third is for the overhead light). With <i>this</i> panel here, you can pull a lever to recline your seat into the perfect position for you. The other does the footrests. It’s all automatic, people!

View attachment 44954

Your table can be found at the side of your seat. Under it is a complimentary magazine.

Business class was rammed, however no one else entered Executive, so I grinned to myself as we lurched out of Milan, looking forward to enjoying the sole Executive carriage (and of course the complete novelty that is the on board conference room) to myself!

So I reclined and a friendly staff member with dark black hair and very heavy accent came and offered me some complimentary newspapers from the newspaper trolley. Well I don’t know any teenagers that read newspapers - I certainly don’t so I politely declined, but that’s a nice service to offer all the same.

View attachment 44965

The refreshment trolley followed, pushed by a very attractive, slim brunette also with accent, who handed me a heated towel and then served me a small bottle of water, crisps and (drumroll please!) a Cloudy Vee. I’m so happy that Frecciarossa do those! Had I been travelling on an evening service I would have been entitled to a small meal, however this was an early morning train.

View attachment 44964

I enjoyed a fast journey through Northern Italy, with a few glances of the Alps every now and then. Television screens in the carriage give you a view from a different perspective - the driver’s. It also tells you the current speed of the train, too. Talking about speed blame that for the poor photo quality of the scenery, I did my best!

After a short while, the train rolled into Brescia. Still, no other passengers joined Executive class, so I left my seat and moved into the Executive Conference Room which is reserved for Executive class passengers only.

If you don’t know about it - let me fill you in ;) Within the Executive class carriage there is a compartment (with closeable doors) with a long conference table surrounded by comfortable, leather deskchairs. These also revolve. The flatscreen TV is a nice feature too!

View attachment 44962 View attachment 44963

So I closed the door behind me, sat in one of the leather deskchairs and turned it to face the window. Here some nice views of Lake Garda were enjoyed before the train came into Peschiera Del Garde, where I returned to the still-empty Executive saloon and enjoyed my second Cloudy V of the day for the remaining ten minutes.

All too soon Verona loomed into view and it was time to alight. I enjoyed a nice packet of peanuts and a Coke from Verona’s FrecciaClub Lounge :)

So - my opinions. WOW. Executive is awesome, and I especially like the feature of closing the window blinds and moving the seat/footrest position without having to lift a finger :D :D I would have preferred a little more than crisps to eat for my ninety minute journey as I had skipped breakfast to catch the train, but hey ho, I don’t eat much anyway.

Is it worth the extra over Business?

DEFINITELY! I sat in a Business seat to try it out, it is hard and too low. I am about 5ft9 and the ultra hard headrest dug into my back. Not good. The five Business class coaches were all rammed too, unlike the single Executive section which only consists of sixteen seats and was empty!

Well I hope you enjoyed the review. Next to come will be:

ÖBB Eurocity First Class
Verona - Innsbruck: 16TH APRIL

ÖBB RailJet First Class
Innsbruck - Salzburg &
Salzburg - Vienna: 20TH APRIL

So I hope you’ll join me for those. But until next time,

And chill.
Z 8-)
Brilliant read. Hope you enjoyed your visit as well as the journey. Have been to Milan, Lake Garda and Verona. Lovely places. Milano Centrale is impressive isn't it. Executive class looked pretty impressive. Surprised you didn't get more than crisps though.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Brilliant read. Hope you enjoyed your visit as well as the journey. Have been to Milan, Lake Garda and Verona. Lovely places. Milano Centrale is impressive isn't it. Executive class looked pretty impressive. Surprised you didn't get more than crisps though.
Thanks! Love the Milano trams, especially the old ones with the open windows on the back! :D

Attachments

• 811CA2FF-C66B-4C16-AD66-E78879489968.jpeg
    811CA2FF-C66B-4C16-AD66-E78879489968.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Another very intereting report mate, sounded like a very swish trip in Executive! :lol:

Hula, senorés.

I think you mean Ciao, ragazzi (Hi, guys) if I remember my Italian correctly! ;)

Looks nicer than Roma Termini, I must admit that station left me rather underwhelmed.

Looks nice, like the Red chairs! As long as the coffee's good I'll be happy! :)

I am familiar with the use of "sick" to meen wicked or amazing; besides I'm pretty sure its in the OED. The seats are very like airline business class but I suppose that's the idea.

Looks very comfy I must say, a bit "mission control"-esque perhaps with all the buttons!

So I reclined and a friendly staff member with dark black hair and very heavy accent came and offered me some complimentary newspapers from the newspaper trolley.

Of the four Italian ticket inspectors I have encountered 3 were as intelligible as your average Italian waiter and the fourth sounded like a distant relation of David Attenborough with those clear RP tones! :lol:

Well I don’t know any teenagers that read newspapers - I certainly don’t so I politely declined, but that’s a nice service to offer all the same.

Don't know quite how to break this to you - I've been reading papers since I was able 11 or 12, I actually quite enjoy the crossword and sudoku! ;)

(drumroll please!) a Cloudy Vee. I’m so happy that Frecciarossa do those!

Lol, just lol :lol:

I enjoyed a fast journey through Northern Italy, with a few glances of the Alps every now and then. Television screens in the carriage give you a view from a different perspective - the driver’s. It also tells you the current speed of the train, too. Talking about speed blame that for the p

The speed and scenery are equally impressive, 248 km/h is my record on the Frecciarossa.

Very swish, I'd love to book it and watch a film on the telly with a bunch of mates but dread time think how much that would cost, once-in-a-lifetime thing perhaps?

Just crisps seems very mean indeed, I thought you got a meal in the top class?

DEFINITELY! I sat in a Business seat to try it out, it is hard and too low. I am about 5ft9 and the ultra hard headrest dug into my back. Not good.

I'm 6ft 3in, so I doubt I'd like it either, certainly I found the legroom in Standard a bit wanting.

Well I hope you enjoyed the review.

Most certainly, sir 8-)

Definitely sounds like it could do better.
Do they only offer meals in the evening? Nth even an espresso and pastry in the morning?
Reclined is the only way to travel! <:D

And chill.
Z 8-)

I think you'll be in need of some chill time after all the travelling you've got booked! :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Cool. What is the weather like there at the mo?
I wouldn’t know I’m afraid, I’m in Austria ;)
Another very intereting report mate, sounded like a very swish trip in Executive! :lol:
Gracias :lol: see you won’t get me speaking Italian! You can keep your grazis no?
I think you mean Ciao, ragazzi (Hi, guys) if I remember my Italian correctly! ;)
Yes, I know what I said was Spanish that was the point :lol:

Looks very comfy I must say, a bit "mission control"-esque perhaps with all the buttons!
Yeah, nice and gadgety :D
Of the four Italian ticket inspectors I have encountered 3 were as intelligible as your average Italian waiter and the fourth sounded like a distant relation of David Attenborough with those clear RP tones! :lol:
:lol:
Don't know quite how to break this to you - I've been reading papers since I was able 11 or 12, I actually quite enjoy the crossword and sudoku! ;)
Ah well I said teenager. You’re a year past that ;)
Lol, just lol :lol:
You like that one then? Thanks. I’ll just pretend I actually intended to make a joke there eh?
Very swish, I'd love to book it and watch a film on the telly with a bunch of mates but dread time think how much that would cost, once-in-a-lifetime thing perhaps?
Err, about €40 adult Executive.
Just crisps seems very mean indeed, I thought you got a meal in the top class?
You do. {At least you’re supposed to} Train was late too. Hmm...
Most certainly, sir 8-)
Ah, thank you. I do my best :lol:
Definitely sounds like it could do better.
Do they only offer meals in the evening? Nth even an espresso and pastry in the morning?
Ah, no pastries in sight sadly...
Reclined is the only way to travel! <:D
Ah yes, this dude knows his stuff people!
I think you'll be in need of some chill time after all the travelling you've got booked! :lol:
Ah well I’ve got some nice “chilling” GCSEs to take in a couple of weeks. :(

Anyway thanks for your ultra detailed analysis :D :D :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Gracias :lol: see you won’t get me speaking Italian! You can keep your grazis no?

No. :lol:

Yes, I know what I said was Spanish that was the point :lol:

That was kind of the point! ;)

Ah well I said teenager. You’re a year past that ;)

Well thank you very much! :rolleyes:

You like that one then? Thanks. I’ll just pretend I actually intended to make a joke there eh?

It was more the way you wrote it that made me chuckle. :D

Ah well I’ve got some nice “chilling” GCSEs to take in a couple of weeks. :(

Ah, Standard Grades and Int 2s - the joys! ;)I'm sure you'll be fine!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Muchas gracias - mille grazie - whatever - I'm sure the Italian staff would have been pleased to see an English speaker making the effort to find a "lingua franca" based on a Latin language, even if it's one from 1000km away.
I was once completely thrown by attempting to speak Italian in a shop in Turin: the assistant mistook my terrible accent and replied in French. Confusing.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Muchas gracias - mille grazie - whatever - I'm sure the Italian staff would have been pleased to see an English speaker making the effort to find a "lingua franca" based on a Latin language, even if it's one from 1000km away.
I was once completely thrown by attempting to speak Italian in a shop in Turin: the assistant mistook my terrible accent and replied in French. Confusing.
Ah, no I spoke in Italian to Italians ;) not Spanish.

I only said “Hula” because it would be cliché and cringey to say “Ciao” just because it’s an Italian report! :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Every time I try out Spanish or Italian in the respective countries I get an immediate reply in English!

fowler9

Established Member
That would be grazie mille in Italian. ;) In Europe I think people really appreciate you trying to speak the language. South America is a good place to practice your Spanish. Unless you are somewhere pricey not many people speak English. My brothers mother in law from Bogota doesn't speak a word of English, she is a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.