• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Tube Challenge" Top Times website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

As some of you may know I am a well known "tube challenger" with 3 world records to my name, but of course tube challenging isn't only about doing the whole network in a day.

There are a plethora of other, shorter challenges that can be completed using the Tube Map that often only taken a few hours (or can be completed on a weekend).

Examples include:
--London Overground challenge (visit all 112 London Overground stations in the fastest time)
--Zone 1 (all 64 stations in Oyster card zone 1)
--DLR (visit all DLR stations)
--Bottle (visit all stations on and within the "classic" Circle line)
--All Lines (travel at least one station on all 11 Underground lines)

There are more, to see the full list please visit the website (see link below).

I run and maintain a website (www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge) where I list competitors that have completed each challenge and I am asking you can you fill any gaps?

I would like a complete list as is possible, therefore have you done any of these challenges yourself and would like your time listed?

Is there another challenge that you think is worthy of starting a Top Times list for (like for Manchester Metrolink or Nottingham Trams for example)?

I am considered the arbitrator of all the challenges listed on the site, therefore all challenges are completed using the full tube challenge rules modified for that particular challenge.

If you have any times to add or any further suggestions then please contact me via the website email at the bottom of each page. If you are submitting a completed time for a challenge it would be helpful if you included a route description so I can ensure all stations were visited as per that particular challenge.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Sprinter:2202866 said:
As some of you may know I am a well known "tube challenger" with 3 world records to my name, but of course tube challenging isn't only about doing the whole network in a day.

There are a plethora of other, shorter challenges that can be completed using the Tube Map that often only taken a few hours (or can be completed on a weekend).

Examples include:
--London Overground challenge (visit all 112 London Overground stations in the fastest time)

I run and maintain a website (www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge) where I list competitors that have completed each challenge and I am asking you can you fill any gaps?

I would like a complete list as is possible, therefore have you done any of these challenges yourself and would like your time listed?

Is there another challenge that you think is worthy of starting a Top Times list for (like for Manchester Metrolink or Nottingham Trams for example)?

I am considered the arbitrator of all the challenges listed on the site, therefore all challenges are completed using the full tube challenge rules modified for that particular challenge.

If you have any times to add or any further suggestions then please contact me via the website email at the bottom of each page. If you are submitting a completed time for a challenge it would be helpful if you included a route description so I can ensure all stations were visited as per that particular challenge.

Thanks
Nottingham trams isn't worthy of a challenge yet as there are two lines, the main one to Hucknall and the Phoenix Park branch being a short branch about 2 thirds of the way to Hucknall.
When the extensions open...

Metrolink network is huge now!

PeterY

Established Member

Examples include:

Thanks

A challenge for fit people, visit all tube stations with a lift and use the spiral staircases instead. Bring on Hampstead :D

I think I'd pass on a London Overground challenge, I couldn't face spending longer than necessary on a 378. :(

agerj001

I am the MD of our tube challenge team who do challenges for charity and are planning on completing the 'Mouse' and 'Circle Line Bottle' Challenges as practice for our next charity event in October, I have started working on a map and route already however that include the stations, but i was going to ask if you had any maps simplified to the stations needed to travel to?

Many thanks

Josh Ageros

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Used to be a bit more interesting when there was Aldwych, peak hours only, Epping to Ongar (also peak hours only in latter stages)and South Acton : also if you included the Waterloo and City and were doing it on a Saturday when it closed at 2 p.m. My nearest tube was New Cross/ Gate so used to start from one of those and finish at the other, then bus home to Eltham on my Twin Rover! A useful trick was to be very familiar with the London bus network, which I was, to get from Edgware to Mill Hill East, for example. I only ever did it for my own amusement, but I doubt there were many who got so far round the network in the times I did, bearing in mind I was not an adult and had to be home by early/mid evening!

Not had a chance to look at the websites yet but, who knows, I might spot something I can add to the mix.

agerj001

We name our challenges by highest zone or station numbers and attempt number, e.g. Tube 1.1 = Zone 1 challenge only and attempt 1.so 2.1 would be zone 1 and 2 challenge and attempt 1 of that. Whereas DLR 45.1 is the 45 stations currently and attempt 1. I'm attempting DLR challenge again twice on friday on my own (45.2 and 45.3) and 2x 11 line challenges. Our former MD Callum Liston recently started doing challenges on his own and has very good scores that are being sent in soon. I'm only doing a challenge on my own because everyone else is busy and this is practicing for our next charity event in october.

My Friend, Iwan Jenkins likes the class 345 so much, i don't know why as he hasn't even seen the interior yet (nor have i) and it hasn't even been built. I like the 395 all the way.

Josh Ageros
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
agerj001, what challenge is Tube 1.1?

Also, do you have reports?

I have routes for each of these challenges except 1.1 as it was lost as it was a long time ago! All routes have been accepted and we have a new system of evidence keeping that will start in June. As I only started as MD just over week ago, i haven't quite sorted out everything yet but making good progress.

Josh Ageros

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You could visit all of the depots. Maybe take a photo of the official depot entrance although you wouldn't be able to use the tube to reach them all.

Nym

Established Member
Unless you wanted some long walks.
Most of the depots are 'near enough' an LUL station. Would you be disqualified for missing 2nd entrances (Neasden) or get bonus points for back entrances?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Unless you wanted some long walks.
Most of the depots are 'near enough' an LUL station. Would you be disqualified for missing 2nd entrances (Neasden) or get bonus points for back entrances?

Northumberland Park may be a wee trek.
Wouldn't fancy spending time round the back way in to Stonebridge - and less so the front entrance to London Road.
There could be two differing challenges - main depots only and main depots plus all stabling points.

Nym

Established Member
Northumberland Park may be a wee trek.
Wouldn't fancy spending time round the back way in to Stonebridge - and less so the front entrance to London Road.
There could be two differing challenges - main depots only and main depots plus all stabling points.

Northumberland Park isn't that badder walk to be honest. Tottenham Hale up to Stonebridge Locks on the canal side and then cut across the main road, across the top of 60rd, cleaning shed and pit roads over to the gatehouse.

Stonebridge's back entrance isn't very pleasant, but neither is the front entrance (if you can avoid being run over by Network Rail vehicles...)

agerj001

Tomorrow I am on the DLR completing the DLR challenge, twice! And also completing the 11 Lines challenge. Also doing the DLR challenge on 27th June and zone 1 on 6th July.

theorangeone

Good luck, but don't beat it! It's one of the records I still have.

By reports, I mean tell us all the lucky, unlucky, silly and clever things that happened, not the train timings - most people don't bother keeping those. Whether you ran into a closing door, or got lost, or something along those lines.

As for the depots, you should have another version which includes Croxley Green, New Cross and Drayton Park.

Last edited:

agerj001

Good luck, but don't beat it! It's one of the records I still have.

By reports, I mean tell us all the lucky, unlucky, silly and clever things that happened, not the train timings - most people don't bother keeping those. Whether you ran into a closing door, or got lost, or something along those lines.

As for the depots, you should have another version which includes Croxley Green, New Cross and Drayton Park.

Well my friend might have already beaten it the other day by the sounds of it, he hasn't sent his times in yet though, he keeps a lot of this stuff to himself. I also know he did very well in zone 1 and 11 lines too. I am simply trying to take 30 minutes of my previous time. I only took over as MD of the tube challenge team I'm in a week or so ago, so it means I now write the routes that the team do, and I have lots of good ideas up my sleeve!

Josh Ageros

Sprinter

That is one very difficult to read website.

Others have commented on that too, but my main aim when I first built the website (I do all my coding myself, manually) was just to get the data online and presented to a wider audience.

I am currently undergoing a redesign of the main home page to give it less of a colour clash, the background colour is now more of a Waterloo & City aquamarine than Victoria line blue, I am also making the main body of text easier to read by giving each challenge its own "section". I am sure you will like it when I release it).
Number 42 on the Z1 challenge is myself, feel free to put my full name in.

Thanks

Zone 1 page now updated

Last edited:

agerj001

Others have commented on that too, but my main aim when I first built the website (I do all my coding myself, manually) was just to get the data online and presented to a wider audience.

I am currently undergoing a redesign of the main home page to give it less of a colour clash, the background colour is now more of a Waterloo & City aquamarine than Victoria line blue, I am also making the main body of text easier to read by giving each challenge its own "section". I am sure you will like it when I release it).

Thanks

Zone 1 page now updated

Hi, have you received any times form my friend Callum Liston? He did a zone 1 11 lines and dlr challenge with his friend Ben. Do you know when they will be on the website?

Many thanks

Josh Ageros
MD RailRidersGroup

Sprinter

No, I haven't had an email from Callum about new times for the website, once I receive the email I will get the relevant pages updated accordingly.

Tangy

Hi, have you received any times form my friend Callum Liston? He did a zone 1 11 lines and dlr challenge with his friend Ben. Do you know when they will be on the website?

Many thanks

Josh Ageros
MD RailRidersGroup

Last edited:

agerj001

I'm completing the DLR Challenge twice tomorrow with my Tube challenge team and also the 11 Lines Challenge.

Josh Benjamin Ageros
MD RailRidersGroup
Completed DLR Challenge today.

agerj001

Myself and some of my tube challenge team are off to complete a zone 1 challenge tomorrow. Our 3d attempt.

agerj001

Well these are my tube challenge team's Zone 1 Times and how we have improved:

6/7/15 -- 2:53:26- Josh Ageros(MD), Iwan Jenkins(HR) and Tom Naylor-Smith

14/2/15 -- 3:05:30- Callum Liston(MD), Josh Ageros(DMD), Iwan Jenkins and Amelia Smith

15/2/14 -- 3:52:00- Callum Liston(MD), Josh Ageros(DMD), Iwan Jenkins and
Brian Wittington.

So we have improved over time, Callum Liston left us briefly to complete the DLR Challenge, Zone 1 Challenge and 11 Lines Challenge with a friend, but has come back, but not leading the team. Our MD leads the team through te route and makes decisions and our DMD and HR people sort out other things, like getting into contact with member's of the team. We are a team of 9, but we go and complete challenges not a as a full team of 9, just maybe 3,4 or 5 different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.