• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Map of Britain

Sprigibax

As part of a series of alternative tube maps I’ve been working on, I made a tube map of Britain. It’s not very geographically accurate (but, hey, it’s a tube map) and I’ve had to add a few branches, stations etc. Please tell me what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_2590.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 552
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Please tell me what you think!
Well, it's certainly colourful.

Quite a few place name typos. E.g..Ciranlarich, Kikcaldy, Glenoce, Anan.

Personally, would have shown the closed (or never opened) lines as intermittent pecked lines.

And having London as a random interchange station between Barnet and Sutton, and between Hounslow and Bromley, is certainly a novel approach.

Good fun, though. ;)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I think you need to have a very close look at what you have "drawn" in Wales, as currently it makes no sense what so ever.
And perhaps get the spelling correct!

peterblue

Very inaccurate from a cursory glance. Some lines don't exist in real life - unless you are trying to include historic ones?

Chris M

Watchet and Ilfracombe but not Taunton or Plymouth being intermediate stations between Bridgwater and Penzance is, err, interesting.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
As part of a series of alternative tube maps I’ve been working on, I made a tube map of Britain. It’s not very geographically accurate (but, hey, it’s a tube map) and I’ve had to add a few branches, stations etc. Please tell me what you think!
I started jokingly writing about the lack of scale between Crewe and Warrington, then looked further down and to the right and realised how much it actually looks like the tube map!

I was thinking of criticizing some things but thinking of the compromises between accuracy to real life and accuracy to the tube map I think most trade offs were good.

jupiter

I think it looks great! Tbh if it was a touch more accurate it would be great for trip planning. Nice one.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Really don't see the point of this as it is; a) riddled with spelling errors and, b) simply geographically and historically inaccurate to the point of just being a set of names against coloured lines. Just one example - Glencoe has never had any railway or station. Perhaps I am missing something...

ikcdab

Technically you have made a good job of this. It looks good. I just wondered about the reason you did it, given the huge leaps in imagination on the lines. What was the reason why you didn't stick to reality?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Trying to follow the S&C was... 'interesting' to say the least.
Would certainly allow some interesting (no changes required?) journey opportunities.

Manchester, Rochdale, Burnley, Settle, Kirkby Stephen, Appleby, Alston, cross near here over the Bradford - Burnley line, Hexham, Hawick, Galashiels, Edinburgh.

cadder toad

I find it quite thought provoking. Its the London tube map but with names of stations across the whole uk replacing the familiar tube stations. What if a route map of uk rail services was drawn on a single rectangular sheet? For most of us, as the tube map recognises, geography is not critical. We want to know where to change and what service to take. (This has been said before by others on this forum.) There used to be an InterCity map of uk rail services but it was drawn into a roughly geographical shape. Well done!

Magdalia

Established Member
Alternative versions of Harry Beck's map, with different station names, have been around for a long time.

"The Great Bear" by Simon Patterson dates from 1992 and is part of the Tate Modern art collection, though, according to their website, it is not currently on display.

The Great Bear is a four colour offset lithograph mounted in an anodised aluminium frame. It is an altered version of the map of the London Underground created by Henry (Harry) C. Beck (1903-74) in 1931. Patterson replaced the names of the underground stations with the names of engineers, philosophers, explorers, planets, journalists, footballers, musicians, film actors, saints, Italian artists, sinologues (Chinese scholars), comedians and 'Louis' (French kings).

The best alternative versions that I have seen are those where the real names of the station names are all translated into German and where the station names are all given as anagrams.

thomalex

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And New Pudsey on there for some reason, hardly a major destination!
Believe that back in 1982, New Pudsey was occasionally served by through Inter City trains from Bradford Interchange to/from London Kings Cross

YorksLad12

Established Member
Alternative versions of Harry Beck's map, with different station names, have been around for a long time.

"The Great Bear" by Simon Patterson dates from 1992 and is part of the Tate Modern art collection, though, according to their website, it is not currently on display.

The best alternative versions that I have seen are those where the real names of the station names are all translated into German and where the station names are all given as anagrams.
A line through Wembley, with a football connection? It'll never catch on.

PTR 444

Established Member

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
"London" having just two lines is certainly a choice!

duncombec

A few posters here seem to have had a sense of humour by-pass...

Personally, I love the idea of there being a non-HS1 Kent-Essex rail link, even if Basildon wouldn't be my first choice! It's a very nice attempt to get the geography vaguely right in connection with a slightly doctored tube... sorry, Underground map.

As others have said, I would work on correcting the spelling of places as the next step, then see what other improvements you could make.