• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube word/letter trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro95

What are some tube word/letter trivia eg
  • Acton Town is the first tube station alphabetically.
  • Woodside Park is the last tube station alphabetically.
  • St John's Wood is the only tube station which does not have any letters of the word mackerel.
  • Balham is the only tube station which does not have any letters of the word underground.
  • Pimlico is the only tube station which does not have any letters of the word badger.
  • Ickenham is the only tube station beginning with I.
  • Belsize Park is the only tube station with the letter z in its name.
  • Kensington (Olympia) is the only station with brackets in it's name.
  • Arsenal is the only tube station named directly after a football club.
  • There are only two tube stations which have all five vowels in them - Mansion House and South Ealing.
  • There are no tube stations beginning with the letters j, x, y and z.
  • Five tube stations have the letter x in their name: Brixton, Croxley, Oxford Circus, Uxbridge and Vauxhall.
  • Four tube stations have the word square in their name: Euston Square, Leicester Square, Russell Square and Sloane Square.
  • Battersea Power Station is the only tube station to include station in it's name.
  • Three tube stations have the word Broadway in their name: Ealing Broadway, Fulham Broadway and Tooting Broadway.
  • London Bridge station is the only tube station with London in it's name.
Can you think of any more tube word/letter trivia eg longest tube station name and shortest tube station name?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
  • Temple is the only tube station that has an identically named station on the Paris Metro
  • Monument is only tube station that has an identically named station on the Tyne & Wear Metro
  • Epping, Regents Park and Kings Cross have identically named stations on the City Rail system in Sydney
  • Kew Gardens has an identically named station on the Long Island Rail Road in New York

NSE

Established Member
I believe ‘Park’ is the most common word on the tube.

Enthusiast

Can you think of any more tube word/letter trivia eg longest tube station name and shortest tube station name?
Battersea Power Station
Oval/Bank

I believe Battersea Power Station is the only railway station in the whole of the UK with the word "station" in its name - but I may be wrong.

duncanp

Established Member
  • Grange Hill is the only station which shares its name with a children's TV programme.
  • Victoria is the only station that has an identically named station on the Metrolink in Manchester
  • St Paul's is the only station that has an identically named station on the West Midlands Metro
  • Waterloo is the only station that is also the title of a song that won the Eurovision Song Contest

MotCO

Established Member
Knightsbridge is the only station to have six consecutive consonents in its name. (Aldwych, now closed was another)

Totteridge & Whetstone is the only station to have an '&' in its title (I think Kings Cross St Pancras either has nothing or a '/')

Last edited:

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Passengers on the Piccadilly Line can go through 9 consecutive stations beginning with the letter ‘H’

PTR 444

Established Member
Passengers on the Piccadilly Line can go through 9 consecutive stations beginning with the letter ‘H’
If you’re talking Hounslow East to Heathrow T5, then it’s only 6. Adding T4 in the mix (which would bring the total up to 7) is debatable as you cannot make a direct journey to T5 from there.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Yes, and those as well :oops:
Harrow & Wealdstone

If you’re talking Hounslow East to Heathrow T5, then it’s only 6. Adding T4 in the mix (which would bring the total up to 7) is debatable as you cannot make a direct journey to T5 from there.
Miscounted. It’s 10. A train from Hounslow East going via Heathrow T4 will loop round to Heathrow T2&3 before continuing back towards Hounslow East. Any passenger who wants to can stay on for 10 consecutive station calls beginning with H.

Chris M

I believe ‘Park’ is the most common word on the tube.
It is, and you can play a quiz to identify other common words on the map (as of January 2020) at https://www.sporcle.com/games/pecheneg/london_underground_words - I got 50 of 58.
The only two adjacent Park stations are Woodgrange Park and Wanstead Park.
The next longest set is three - Clapham North, Clapham Common and Clapham South on the Northern line and Soke Newington, Stamford Hill and Seven Sisters on London Overground and Stratford High Street, Stratford and Stratford International on the DLR. The longest stretch with only two starting letters is 5: Woodgrange Park, Wanstead Park, Leytonstone High Road, Leyton Midland Road, Walthamstow Queens Road; you can then make an out of station interchange and get another two - Walthamstow Central and Wood Street.

The greatest number of consecutive one-word stations is 8 - Reading, Twyford, Maidenhead, Taplow, Burnham, Slough, Langley and Iver on the Elizabeth line. The Victoria line and Northern line tie for the tube's best with 5: Brixton, Stockwell, Vauxhall, Pimlico and Victoria; Stockwell, Oval, Kennington, Waterloo and Embankment.
The longest journey you can do using only one-word stations I think might be 11: Victoria, Pimlico, Vauxhall, Stockwell, Oval, Kennington, Waterloo, Bank, Moorgate, Barbican and Farringdon.
The greatest number of consecutive stations with exactly two words in their names is I think 10: Bruce Grove, Seven Sisters, Stamford Hill, Stoke Newington, Rectory Road, Hackney Downs, London Fields, Cambridge Heath, Bethnal Green and Liverpool Street. On the tube it's 9: East Putney, Putney Bridge, Parsons Green, Fulham Broadway, West Brompton, Earl's Court, Gloucester Road, South Kensington and Sloane Square.
The longest possible journey I've found using only two-word stations is 18: Bow Road, Mile End, Bethnal Green [LU], Liverpool Street, Bethnal Green [LO], Cambridge Heath, London Fields, Hackney Downs, Rectory Road, Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill, Seven Sisters, Finsbury Park, Manor House, Turnpike Lane, Wood Green, Bounds Green, and Arnos Grove. Allowing OSIs gets you another four with All Saints, Langdon Park, Devons Road and Bow Church.
Sticking solely to the tube the record I think is 13: Holland Park, Shepherd's Bush, White City, East Acton, North Acton, West Acton Ealing Broadway, Ealing Common, Acton Town, Turnham Green, Stamford Brook and Ravenscourt Park.

Alex365Dash

The longest journey you can do using only one-word stations I think might be 11: Victoria, Pimlico, Vauxhall, Stockwell, Oval, Kennington, Waterloo, Bank, Moorgate, Barbican and Farringdon.
There’s quite a few on the Tube map you can do with 11, but depending on the definition of station you could do 12: Redbridge, Wanstead, Leytonstone, Leyton, Stratford, Whitechapel, Shadwell (NR), Shadwell (DLR), Limehouse, Westferry, Poplar and Blackwall.

Last edited:

Chris M

I've just had another look and found a 13: Blackwall, Poplar, Westferry, Limehouse, Shadwell (DLR), Bank, Waterloo, Kennington, Oval, Stockwell, Vauxhall, Pimlico and Victoria
11 remains the longest solely on one mode though.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Amersham to Aldgate to Embankment to Waterloo to Stockwell to Victoria to Blackfriars to Greenwich to Stratford to Epping to Holborn to Uxbridge to Farringdon to Wimbledon to Paddington to Reading. That's 16

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Misunderstood!

Though I'd be interested to see how many changes you can make using only one word stations without using the same station twice

rebmcr

Established Member
Misunderstood!

Though I'd be interested to see how many changes you can make using only one word stations without using the same station twice
In which case your Aldgate to Waterloo leg is not completely described. ;)

317 forever

Established Member
Perivale is the only station with the first 4 letters matching a soap character name: Peri in Hollyoaks 8-)

317 forever

Established Member
I'll see your Perivale and raise you Victoria : Victoria Sugden in Emmerdale :p
That's even more spot on having a character name match an Underground station.

Mnd you, my favourite Emmerdale character Dawn is played by Olivia Bromley, and there is of course the Underground station Bromley-by-Bow. :smile:

Chris M

Perivale is the only station with the first 4 letters matching a soap character name: Peri in Hollyoaks 8-)
Angel / Angela
Arnos Grove / Arnold
Becken Road and Beckenham Junction / Becky
Bethnal Green / Beth
Brent
Cross and Brentwood / Brent (also Brenda)
Bruce Grove / Bruce
Colin
dale / Colin
Doll
is Hill / Dolly
George Street / George
Harold
Wood / Harold
Harr
ington Road / Harry
Lewisham / Lewis
Lloyd
Park / Lloyd
Mitchham / Mitch or Mitchel
Mary
lebone / Mary
Prince
/ Prince
Queen
sway, Queen's Park and Queens Road Peckham / Queenie
Richmond / Richard
Russell Square / Russell
Sand
ilands / Sandy or Sandra
Stanmore / Stan or Stanley
Victoria / Victoria
Wand
le Park / Wanda
Warren Street / Warren

I don't watch soap operas so can't say for certain there are characters named this but given how many soaps there are and how many characters some of them have/have had I would be astounded if none of them matched.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
A journey in ascending order of station names:
Borough - Elephant & Castle - Kennington - Oval - Stockwell - Vauxhall (6)

Can anyone find longer sequences?

Chris M

I can equal it - Baker Street, Bond Street, Green Park, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, South Kensington.
In future it might also be equalled on LO - Clapham High Street, Denmark Hill, Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham, Surrey Canal, Surrey Quays
However I've not found anything longer.

Chris M

I can equal it - Baker Street, Bond Street, Green Park, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, South Kensington.
In future it might also be equalled on LO - Clapham High Street, Denmark Hill, Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham, Surrey Canal, Surrey Quays
However I've not found anything longer.
There is another 6 - Canonbury, Dalston Junction, Haggerston, Hoxton, Shoreditch High Street, Whitechapel.

Status
Not open for further replies.